Room as an alter?

BodhiSeed

Cool. Is that your deck collection in the case?
It is. :) I got some boards and added a shelf to the middle and bottom to use all the space in the book shelf. Some of the others are on a tall, narrow CD shelf (the edge can be seen in the vertical photo).

G6

It is. :) I got some boards and added a shelf to the middle and bottom to use all the space in the book shelf. Some of the others are on a tall, narrow CD shelf (the edge can be seen in the vertical photo).

Groovy space. I plan to have a dedicated reading room, alter room, meditation room, zen den whatever you want to call it at some point SOON! šŸ˜Š

Morwenna

Groovy space. I plan to have a dedicated reading room, alter room, meditation room, zen den whatever you want to call it at some point SOON! šŸ˜Š

I wish you luck. Many many years ago I had similar hopes for our spare room, but right off the bat it became a catchall. :(

theFeeLion

@BodhiSeed
What a lovely looking room! I'm so jealous of your deck shelves!! My collection consists so far of only three decks so I don't really need much space for them lol

@Ncharge
I would love to see pics of your room if that's ok? Maybe I could get some ideas for my room :D

@Tanga
I have yet to get myself dedicated towels and table covers. I was hoping my Mum would help me out by making the covers but she's been on holiday for the last few months and I think it's slipped her mind. Oh well, I'm in no rush.
I don't seem to have too much of a problem with energy clearing at the moment. Yes, I do have a plethora (love that word!) of things I can do/use for that (including the drum kit in the corner - I really need to move that lol). I would really like to get a singing bowl though, I've always been a fan of using sound to cleanse with :D I used to have a bell of my great grandfather's that I used for space cleansing but I don't know where that's gone now.

@Celticnoodle
Those are great ideas! I used to have a Himalayan salt lamp, I would have though it would be an earth thing though? I love the fountain idea, I wonder if I could make one...?
I had a plant i was using for earth. I'm really hoping that it comes back to life! I've never had much luck with plants but thought I'd try again and got one for my room. We were doing really well until I forgot to water it. Then I drowned it trying to perk it back up again! Now I'm just letting it chill out till it gets through all that water and is able to dry out a bit.
I glad I could hep out with a bit of inspiration for your own room :D

Now let's see if I can get these pics in here...

Attachments

• Air side.jpg
    Air side.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Fire and water sides.jpg
    Fire and water sides.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 151

Morwenna

A whole drum kit--wow...

I have a few hand drums and tambourines that I could use for clearing with sound, but somehow I never think of that (and two of them are hanging on the bedposts!). I've thought about singing bowls but I can never decide which one I'd want; I know someone who has a collection of them, tuned to the chromatic scale with a couple duplicates (octaves), but is still missing one note. But I just don't (excuse the pun) resonate with them that well. I need to get a new head for my ashiko; its current/original one split a few years ago... now that drum has Sound! (or had sound...) And it just occurs to me that I could use different percussion instruments to call different quarters! (See what inspirations all you folks are? :))

That doesn't solve the problem of not having a whole room for a temple, but it does give me ideas on how to temporarily transform one... :)

theFeeLion

Lol yeah the drum kit is not something I want in my room but there is nowhere else to put it at the moment (I need to clean up and clear out the other spare room). I don't really resonate with drums, I find them a bit too jarring. I much prefer bells or chimes. Ooo I just had a thought... I could put in some nice soft sounding wind chimes.

I'm still a bit stuck on what to have for fire and water though (especially if I can't make a satisfactory fountain). Anyone have any ideas? Maybe a fiery lamp of some description? Gah, all I see are dollar signs that I can't afford right now :(

Morwenna

Lol yeah the drum kit is not something I want in my room but there is nowhere else to put it at the moment (I need to clean up and clear out the other spare room). I don't really resonate with drums, I find them a bit too jarring. I much prefer bells or chimes. Ooo I just had a thought... I could put in some nice soft sounding wind chimes.

I'm still a bit stuck on what to have for fire and water though (especially if I can't make a satisfactory fountain). Anyone have any ideas? Maybe a fiery lamp of some description? Gah, all I see are dollar signs that I can't afford right now :(

I have a lava lamp that lives on the computer desk. What would that be good for? Fire, for the light? Water, for the oil? Earth, for the wax?? (Nothing airy about it, unless you count the fact that these things first came out in the '60s with the hippies...) It didn't cost much either; my husband picked up a box of 3 of them at a tag sale a few years ago, just on a whim...

RavenOfSummer

One thing I like to keep on my altar is a bowl that holds meaning for me- I'm a potter so I generally use a bowl I've made- and I often keep it filled with water, and I sometimes add oils or herbs or flowers to the water. Perhaps something like that could work for your water side, if you have a bowl, cup or chalice that you like? Something simple and inexpensive.

For fire...maybe an incense holder on top of the wardrobe in that space with incense ready to burn, then when you're working with the altar you could light the incense? Or a tealight oil diffuser? If you can't have anything burning there...maybe a small bundle of twigs to represent kindling? (Hey, Wands are usually thought of as fire, right?) Or alternatively, a fiery stone/crystal, like a citrine or sunstone?

celticnoodle

@Celticnoodle
Those are great ideas! I used to have a Himalayan salt lamp, I would have though it would be an earth thing though? I love the fountain idea, I wonder if I could make one...?
I had a plant i was using for earth. I'm really hoping that it comes back to life! I've never had much luck with plants but thought I'd try again and got one for my room. We were doing really well until I forgot to water it. Then I drowned it trying to perk it back up again! Now I'm just letting it chill out till it gets through all that water and is able to dry out a bit.
I glad I could hep out with a bit of inspiration for your own room :D

Now let's see if I can get these pics in here...

I see the himalayan salt lamp as fire when it is lit up. Only because of the light bulb inside it--or if you get the candle holders, the votives that will be lit inside of it. It gives that warm firey-glow to it. Which is why I mentioned it.

Lovely space! I noticed the drums too, My oldest granddaughter has a nice drum set (professional--as her paternal gf is a drummer in a band)--but its the younger kid that uses them the most. :laugh: Do you play at all?

back to a fire element idea--I was reading a feng shui site recently and thought of this thread when I did. I did forget that you can also just use art work for the fire element--so even finding a nice picture with some reds, oranges and yellows in it could work. Even painting your wall in a firey color will help--but I imagine it being a small space (like bedrooms generally are), and so doing that may be too much and add too much aggression to the space. But, even finding a lovely picture of flowers--such as a picture of red poppies---or a fake flower arrangement nicely done - sitting in that area could work. As well as decor with triangular shapes--such as triangles, stars, etc. that are along that wall.

here is one feng shui sites that may inspire: https://www.thespruce.com/feng-shui-fire-element-decorating-tips-1274684

I did notice the first picture was of a red candle holder with a candle in it. :D but I also like the idea of the red decorative throw pillows too. :)

theFeeLion

One thing I like to keep on my altar is a bowl that holds meaning for me- I'm a potter so I generally use a bowl I've made- and I often keep it filled with water, and I sometimes add oils or herbs or flowers to the water. Perhaps something like that could work for your water side, if you have a bowl, cup or chalice that you like? Something simple and inexpensive.

For fire...maybe an incense holder on top of the wardrobe in that space with incense ready to burn, then when you're working with the altar you could light the incense? Or a tealight oil diffuser? If you can't have anything burning there...maybe a small bundle of twigs to represent kindling? (Hey, Wands are usually thought of as fire, right?) Or alternatively, a fiery stone/crystal, like a citrine or sunstone?

Unfortunately I can't put anything on top of the wardrobe as it's built in and takes up the majority of the fire wall. That's part of the reason I'm having difficulty with what to have as a representation. I'm thinking it might have to be something I can hang.

I see the himalayan salt lamp as fire when it is lit up. Only because of the light bulb inside it--or if you get the candle holders, the votives that will be lit inside of it. It gives that warm firey-glow to it. Which is why I mentioned it.

I had a palm-to-forehead doh moment after I posted before lol

I Lovely space! I noticed the drums too, My oldest granddaughter has a nice drum set (professional--as her paternal gf is a drummer in a band)--but its the younger kid that uses them the most. [emoji23] Do you play at all?

I'd did try to teach myself a little but it's my partner that likes to play. He usually gets on them when he's bored and needs to kill a little time.

I back to a fire element idea--I was reading a feng shui site recently and thought of this thread when I did. I did forget that you can also just use art work for the fire element--so even finding a nice picture with some reds, oranges and yellows in it could work. Even painting your wall in a firey color will help--but I imagine it being a small space (like bedrooms generally are), and so doing that may be too much and add too much aggression to the space. But, even finding a lovely picture of flowers--such as a picture of red poppies---or a fake flower arrangement nicely done - sitting in that area could work. As well as decor with triangular shapes--such as triangles, stars, etc. that are along that wall.

here is one feng shui sites that may inspire: https://www.thespruce.com/feng-shui-fire-element-decorating-tips-1274684

I did notice the first picture was of a red candle holder with a candle in it. :D but I also like the idea of the red decorative throw pillows too. :)

What a great idea! I'm pretty sure I have some small canvases floating around somewhere too :D looks like I may be doing some painting :D