Scrying 101

GotH

I came up with the idea to open this thread after several members showed some interest in my scrying threads. This is meant to help others understand the concept of scrying and maybe to even help them learn how to do it as well as how it's done.

What is scrying?

Scrying is the practice of looking into a translucent ball or other material with the belief that things can be seen, such as spiritual visions, and often for purposes of divination or fortune-telling. The most common media used are reflective, translucent, or luminescent substances such as crystals, stones, glass, mirrors, water, fire, or smoke.

You begin with allowing your mind to form images with the things around you like the sky for instance. Can you see shapes and objects formed by the clouds? Well that's the first step to scrying and if you are able to relax enough to allow the images to form you have a big part of the art covered. When you feel like you are able to see more and more images with ease, you can then begin to concentrate on a particular subject or question to begin retrieving information.

Try practicing with this photo of a crystal ball above.

What images do you see?

Can you see the woman with the long ponytail walking toward the left in bell-bottom pants?

Can you see E.T. playing a banjo?

Can you see him morph into the Tin Man?

How many faces can you see?

Allow your eyes to un-focus a bit for images to manifest. Once this comes fairly easy for you you'll be able to scry with just about anything.

I'll talk about specific tools like crystal balls in a following post soon but for now practice un-focusing your eyes around you with objects like a textured wall or a speckled wooden table top to initiate imagery as reflective objects like mirrors and water are a bit more challenging.

celticnoodle

What images do you see?

Can you see the woman with the long ponytail walking toward the left in bell-bottom pants?

I see the woman, but I saw her as an angel and I can see her wings behind her-slightly in gold. Saw this right off! :)

however, I can see where it looks like a woman w/a long ponytail too now that you mention it. :)

this I do not see. :(

I see at least 6 faces through out the ball.

Allow your eyes to un-focus a bit for images to manifest. Once this comes fairly easy for you you'll be able to scry with just about anything.

I'll talk about specific tools like crystal balls in a following post soon but for now practice un-focusing your eyes around you with objects like a textured wall or a speckled wooden table top to initiate imagery as reflective objects like mirrors and water are a bit more challenging.
Beautiful ball, GotH! thanks for posting this.

starburst_au

Thanks for posting GOTH!
Totally appreciated. I hope more people open up 'educational' threads like this and share their wisdom / gifts.

I saw the woman lol, nice. I didn't see ET playing the banjo.. I did laugh pretty hard at trying to see that image.... ah funny :p And there are HEAPS Of faces that I can see in that ball...

Cheers,
SB

celticnoodle

I saved the pic to my desk top so that I could turn the ball around. So, turning it so the wooden stand is to the far left, I can see what looks like a bird in flight. Above him, I can also see a monkey sitting. I see again, many faces.

Turning it yet again, so the wood is at the top, I can see a goats face, or it could even be a slender faced dog w/a long nose. the nose part is right at the very tip of the ball. I see two people to the far left, standing side by side, in brown robes, too. and again, faces through out.

Turn again, so the wood is to the right, I see a person in bed, or laying down on a chair perhaps, to the far left. Her head is in towards teh middle of the ball. Below her on teh far left, I can see a face, and furhter down, I see yet another face with the face turned slightly to the left side on its side. Again, a few more faces too. I also see what looks like Saturn, very small in the far right, and a crescent moon along the right side of the ball.

It is important to note that when you do scry, its okay to turn the ball/sphere all around to get different views too. :)

Deanne

What images do you see?

The first thing I saw was an angel. I saw her facing forward with wings spread wide behind her.
Next was a cocoon (to the right of the angel).
Then I saw this become a butterfly viewed from the side, with wings folded together.

After reading this part, I can see how parts of the angel could also be a woman walking if I look a bit farther to the left.

I saw ET as soon as I saw your comment - no banjo or Tin Man, as I had to force myself to unsee this pretty quickly (have had a major fear of ET since childhood, my parents forced that movie onto me repeatedly as they thought my reaction was hilarious...)

I see 6 faces; 4 came easily to me, 2 more after a bit of a search.

Thanks for posting this GotH! I am fairly new to scrying and am very grateful for any guidance or advice I can get.

bluelagune

Hi Goth,

Cool exercise! :)

I see 13 peoples faces. The two of which dont look happy being pressed against the glass.
I also see three dogs.
I see a starfish that the gal with ponytail holding. I see she is dancing with the king ... his face is staring right into you and next to her face. Just above you can see his crown.
I see a monkey crouched up in a tree in the top left side.

EmpressArwen

You know I can't see crap!! lol But I do have a question,..the darker spots on the ball, are those a refection of the wood or do colors that deep sometimes appear in the ball?

Lareia

I saw an angel with a halo holding a ball of light, an eye with a ray of light shooting out of it and a pair of glasses (unconnected to the eye). No faces at all. Where do y'all find those faces? :D

celticnoodle

What a difference a day makes! :laugh:

I looked at it this morning and I can see a bird--with a yellow body, darker head, reddish brown beak and dark wings to the far left of the ball. interesting!

You know I can't see crap!! lol But I do have a question,..the darker spots on the ball, are those a refection of the wood or do colors that deep sometimes appear in the ball?

It is probably the refleciton of the wood however, colors can also appear. its why I also try to move the ball around, as the moving of the ball can pick up a lot more interesting things--colors, shapes, etc. even in a picture, such as this--just copy it to your desktop and then use the desktop tools to turn it this way and that. You'll be amazed, EA at what you notice!

GotH

Good morning scryers. ;)

I've read all your posts and it sounds like you've all done really well seeing images in the picture above. I'd like to mention that there is quite a difference in what you see while peering into a real crystal ball vs. a picture of one but the purpose of doing so with a pic is to get you used to seeing hidden images.

Did anyone try to see any images in the everyday things around you? Let me tell you about an office I worked in years back before I even realized what scrying was. There was a wall in front of my desk that would "talk" to me. When I say talk I mean there would be these images that would stand out in the grain of the print and each day something would look different. Some days there would be the faces. Ahhh these faces. They had something different to say each day, some days they'd look like they were being tortured and other days they looked amused. It's interesting to say that quite often they would mimic the mood of the people in the office. Other times I'd see certain images of parts of the anatomy that would make me laugh. If I got bored at work, I'd scan the wall to see if I could spot any new faces or other scenes. Here's the weird thing... I've always thought this was something everyone did, see images all around but it eventually struck me that this was not the case and I certainly didn't know at the time that I was reading the wall, lol.

So next is picking tool that you'll feel comfortable with. If you find you were able to see images in the pic, then you can begin trying to see them in other places. When I say you can scry with anything, I mean you can scry with anything. Here are some things you can choose from. My suggestion is to start with something you already have access to.

Earth
Crystal Balls
Crystal Points and Other Pieces
Stones
Landscape of Boulders
Dish of Tumbled Rocks
Dish of Pebbles
Wet Sand
Seashells

Water
Dark Bowl of Water
Bowl of Water with Food Coloring Added
Glass of Red Wine
Cup of Coffee

Fire
Fire
Embers
Candle's Flicker
Candle's wax

Air
Clouds
Smoke

Technology Black Screens
IPad
Laptop Computer
Smart Phone
Television

Which one "calls" you to try out? Pick one or two to start with then relax your mind and eyes. When you have it in hand or insight, don't think of or focus on anything, just let the image(s) come to you.

What did you choose and how did it go for you?

Next we'll be talking about images and their symbolism.