Sleep paralysis?

Meditarot

I was taking an evening nap at my sofa, ready to fall asleep. I was watching towards the ceiling of the room, minding my business. My father approached me to the sofa but I knew he was back at kitchen reading a book, so I realized I was now dreaming.

Upon this realization, a person appeared next to me. I couldn't see him/her but I knew the person was there. The person started saying something to me, but I could hear only whispers. "Whisper whisper whisper.", continuing to whisper. I realized my eyes were shut now. I tried to open them, but I couldn't. I tried to open my mouth, but I couldn't. I finally managed to forcefully open my eyes, but I opened mistakenly my physical eyes and I woke up.

I think what I experienced was a sleep paralysis. What do you think? And what about the person who was trying to say something to me?

crystalrose

Yea it's sleep paralysis. It happens to me ever so often... Especially if I sleep on my back or oversleep. Anxiety and stress could be triggers too. As far as the person you saw, it's called a hypnagogic hallucination. It's happened to me too during sleep paralysis... I'll see or hear weird things. It's nothing paranormal or dangerous, just you waking up while your body is still in sleep mode. There's lots of info on the net about it.

Tigerangel

I have sleep paralysis every now and again.

What I experience is a heaviness of my body, and unable to move, unable to speak, I have to force myself to move to come out of it, it normally only lasts for a very short time, the most significant time I remember it happening was many years ago shortly after my mum had passed away, I was having a nap on the couch, and I heard my mother's voice saying to me "are you ok " I couldn't move or speak, so I just said yes I'm fine in my head, then I could move again, a few nights later I had a very vivid dream about my mum and a huge purple moon, which is a dream I still remember clearly to this day, and that was around 12 years ago.

But from what you say, I would say it is sleep paralysis you experienced, as our bodies do this as a safe guard against us sleep walking and living out our dreams, so we don't walk out on the street in the middle of night and put ourselves in danger.
It could be either just a dream you where having, if it was a dream with someone trying to say a message to you, you will probably know deep down inside if that is the case.

The other times I've experienced sleep paralysis I've had the feeling of a dark shadow pressing on my chest, then I can't move, when this happens it's normally cause I've been quite stressed, and I class this as just normal dream sleep paralysis, the experience with mum I class as a more spiritual experience.

bluelagune

Yes, that's normal. It's due to stress in your life. Do something nice and pleasurable for yourself. Avoid alcohol.
The dream or a person wisperring can be looked up in any dream dictionary.

EmpyreanKnight

Yep, all your comments are spot on here. This sometimes happens to me when I'm pretty stressed out, and when I'm lying on my back. It's so hard to wake up! I try moving a finger when that happens, and I usually wake up. If it fails, I just try so much harder, as in I give it all in one shot until I do. After that I usually just turn the lights on and most of the time it goes away. Sometimes it still happens even with the lights on. What's bad is that once you wake up, you just want to sleep soooo much that you do fall asleep, and that it all automatically happens again. When that happens, I turn on the lights, go out of my room to drink some water, climb back to bed again, and offer a short prayer before I sleep. That solves it.

Now, it does not happen as much as it used to. I pray before I sleep, I usually sleep on my side or on my stomach, and I'm not so stressed out, so those might be factors.

pandap

I too suffer from hypnogogic hallucinations. It started over 30 years ago, during a very stressful time in my life. My mother took me to a priest, who did some prayers and gave me a cross to wear (he thought I was possessed). Unfortunately, it didn't help. It's very frightening though.

Through the years I continued to get it, during stressful periods it's a lot worse. I got the courage to approach my doctor about 20 years ago and saw a neurologist who did a barrage of tests and confirmed it was hypnogogic hallucinations. He put me on medication, which cured it, but I stopped taking it after about 6 months (because I didn't want to be on "brain" pills) and found because I knew there was a medical reason and it wasn't life threatening or anything like that, I could put up with it.

I also suffer extremely bad restless leg syndrome, which has gotten progressively worse through the years. Years ago, they thought it was all in my head (before it became a recognised thing that could be treated). I found I was unable to sleep for more than a few hours a night because of it, and the hypnogogic hallucinations were a lot worse.

I now rarely suffer from the hallucinations - thanks to daily medication the restless leg syndrome is under control. But, if I don't take the medication, it comes back with a vengeance within a couple of nights and the hypnogogic hallucinations aren't fair behind.

So in my case it's brought on by stress, anxiety and lack of sleep. It happens 9 times out of 10 when I'm sleeping on my back, but when it used to be really bad (all night long for days on end) it would happen in any position. I learnt to recognise when it was approaching because it feels like a strange wave starting to go through my body - if I am quick enough and bolt upright, I can stop it before it takes hold. It's exhausting to suffer with constantly and I'm very glad I don't have it very often now. :)

Prestelar

Dear friends! I am so happy I have the ocasion to share something i truly belive it's usefull in this case.
What you are describing is in fact sleep paralisis. It is a a characteristic of lucid dreaming and not a thing "per se". The one who awekens is your astral body accompanied by your lucid consciousness. The paralisis reoccurs and becomes even scary because you panic under the circumstances, the unfamiliarity and the feeling of not being able to control what's going on, "it just happens to you", all these are prolonging this episode. I personally experienced the phenomenon and discovered that there is another level to this story. It's not meds that you need, but knoledge about lucid dreaming. I encourage you to take a good look at this book here ( http://obe4u.com/nature_of_obe_and_lucid_dreaming/free-ebook/ ) it contains a collection of very usefull exercises for typical problems, including sleep paralysis. And a lot of stuff that i got to test and experience on my own.

MandMaud

Just to be different, perhaps you dreamed that you couldn't open your eyes and mouth.

Not saying it WASN'T sleep paralysis, but I don't think there's a way to tell.

But I agree that sleep paralysis, to this degree, isn't anything to worry about. I used to get it for 1-2 hours every morning... couldn't speak, couldn't move even a fingertip, even my eyelids... to that degree, it does become something to worry about. :)

Annabelle

Moderator note

A few off topic posts (related to computer issues) have been removed from this thread.

Carry on :).

~ Annabelle, co-moderator of Divination

EmpyreanKnight

There is an excellent documentary released last year about sleep paralysis. It is The Nightmare, directed by Rodney Ascher.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3317522/

You guys might want to watch it, but I have to warn you the stories are intense. This is a documentary, so I guess they must have really happened. Watch with the lights on.