Some interesting information pertaining to Tarot

jmd

With regards to the minor and Major Arcana being originally separate 'systems', I suppose that we tend to make that jump for very sound psychological reasons: they just don't seem to belong together!

In terms of history, however, all early Tarot decks seem to incorporate both. What is of course interesting is that other games, such as the Naipes of the Saracenes, and a version of Chess, seem to be linked - possibly even causally - to, respectively, the pip and court cards of the minor Arcana.

Personally, I also seriously doubt that the Visconti-Sforza type decks were the earliest. Rather, these are more likely to have been modifications made of a deck - possibly a Marseilles type deck - for the ducal family.

This thread, of course, has aspects which have been discussed earlier in the Talking Tarot secion. It contains, to my mind and as these other discussion did, extremely important considerations.

catboxer

The Earliest Known Marseilles-style Card

Fifty-nine cards or fragments of cards were found at Sforza Castle in Milan in about 1900. I'm not sure of the circumstances of their recovery.

One of them, a deuce of coins, is most interesting, as it was printed from a woodblock and is trademarked Paulinus Da Casteleto 1499. It is the earliest known specimen of what might be a Marseilles-type card, and an extremely important item, since it pushes back the possible beginning date of the Marseilles style to nearly 100 years earlier than what was previously thought. It's pictured and discussed on page 289 of Kaplan, "Encyclopedia" II.

Also among the same hoard are a bunch of pip and court cards thought to be from different decks, as their backs all have different pictures of various gods and goddesses. Kaplan doesn't mention the possibility that they might be from one, double-faced deck. Such a thing has never been heard of, but it's not impossible.

As for the Marseilles style being the earliest, it seems unlikely, though not impossible. There are no woodblock cards among the earliest extant examples, and 1499 is half a century later than the tentative date assigned to the earliest deck we can point to and definitely say, "Yeah, that's a tarot:" the Cary-Yale.

What I find is more likely of the earliest days of the cards is that tarot was only one of a large number of experimental and prototype decks that came out of mid-to-late fifteenth century northern Italy. These include Marciano da Tortona's gods and birds deck (see T.T. Little's article on Tortona at www.tarothermit.com ), numerous packs with either trumps, or the entire deck composed of pictures of gods or heroes (such as the Sola-Busca), the Mantegna Cards, the Florentine Minchiate, and of course the 86 (we think) card Cary Yale with its unusual virtues among the trumps and a suit of arrows rather than swords. All these experiments seem to have been simple and convenient vehicles for the explosively creative imagination of Renaissance thinkers and artists, like the "smart" or "philosophical" games that have been mentioned on this and other threads. Why tarot is the only one of these experimental forms that achieved any sort of universality or longevity, no one can really say.

Cerulean

I look at the Visconti Sforza cards of the 1400s as well-kept examples of court art and courtly games. While I don't have any access to online scans, I was able to observe a private alterpiece "from the School of Bembo Boniface"---like the School of Mantegna out of Ferrara, the more popular artists had schools and sponsored nameless students who learned to paint in the manner of the 'master' comissioned to do the painting. They looked like Cary Yale cards and the best guess was about 1450.
But I think they were a conservative example of the painting style of cupids (Putti), golden-haired heroines, pages and knights and kings. Giovanni di Paolo's naive and golden-haired paintings of Dante's Paradiso or French-painted Romance of the Rose illustrations with Italinesque landscapes circa 1300s have some similarities?
I'm more inclined to see the older and more established family of D'Estes of Ferrera as those who kept and set a stage for a medieval taste in early gothic art. The Viscontis and D'Estes were not only linked by marriages, but a certain similarity of fame and ducal estates that came from their military exploits and fighting services. Card games, jousting, falconry, hunting and other forms of gambling and sport would have been popular culture. The court ministers, and ducal wives would have sponsored artists and artisans with tapestries, paintings, books with illuminated graphics and courtly scenes of romance.
In terms of an allegorical bent of Greco-Roman gods in the poetic and painterly products of artists and craftsmen that the D'Estes and Visconti's patronized---
There seems to be agreement in Tom Tadforlittle's site and my other Renaissance art history/poetry biographies of Fererra (with a few notes on the Visconti-Sforza) that classical astrology was a strong superstition. I know that in Ferrera, Maria Matteo's Boiardo's tarocchi verses and subsequent poetry from the 1460s-1480s paid homage to Greco Roman figures, the idea of Fortuna and even Arthurian romance in an allegorical mileau that was popular for the time.
I've not studied Milan and Ferrara's early history (prior to the 1400s) yet. But I can tell you cities such as Florence and Rome were extremely proud of their Roman past---so much so, that Popes in Italy would spend thousands and decades unearthing Roman ruins. There were other things that led to the rise of the Protestant religions and Reformation, but the dissatisfaction from other Catholic countries about the riches of Papal and Italian cities is a recurring thread.
Italy was supposedly part of the Holy Roman Empire, but the Byzantine and later Germanic rulers from the 900s through the late 1400s saw Italy as independent city-state regions and setting the stage of fashions and cultures. There were emissaries and representatives from prominent families of the respective regions. At times, the ruling houses of Italy seemed to have a loose but somewhat stable alliance. But the first assassination of the Visconti duke and subsequent problems in the Italian landscape might suggest reasons why card games and other examples of art and culture might have been lost.
Italy's subsequent history after 1494 (when King Charles of France invaded Italy) was troubled. While Machevelli and others wrote later of the beautiful myth of past courtly perfection, the 1500s were a time of the Italian civil wars. There were only brief periods of prosperity for certain regions.
It may be that France, Germany, Spain and England showed more continuous examples of Renissance culture and art and prosperity from the 1500s. Maybe there are more recent card examples because of a greater stability in those regions.

Myrrha

Somewhere I read that one of the specific influences on tarot was the renaissance practice of "triumphs" which were parades where floats went by with tableaus on them depicting certain forces in life.

I have not read Plutarch's poem but evidently it has to do with certain life forces "trumping" or triumphing over others. For example chastity triumphs over lust. Here is a picture of the triumph of chastity: http://www.adh.brighton.ac.uk/schoolofdesign/MA.COURSE/LTPet02.html. There is a ferret or ermine on the banner, a symbol of chastity. The Temperance engraving in the Mantegna series has a ferret-like creature for symbolic animal. Temperance, as well as meaning mingling and mixing, can mean moderation of the appetites: chastity.

If illustrations of these triumph parades influenced both the Mantegna prints and the tarot that would explain why some of the cards are similar.

The only other deck I can think of that uses a ferret/ermine in the temperance card is the Secret Tarot from Lo Scarabeo. Are there any others?

Cerulean

The Tarot of Mantegna has the ermine motif and other common things such as the globe, eagle, etc...it's fun to find a motif and follow it in art history and historical tarot games.
Check out Mark Filpas' Pasteboard Masquerade for the modern reproduction of poet Maria Matteo Boirdo's (1460s-1494) tarocchi verses...some of the engravings show a gothic sensibility of the art. You might find one of the cards with the ermine on it.
The Three Graces is my favorite motif, which is both in Ferrera at the Hall of Months and now at the Uffizzi in the later paintings by Boticcelli of Primavera. It shows up in the Boiardo reproduction and in his later poetry (Bordering on Love). In modern tarots, many times a similar motif of three graceful women appear in the Three of Cups.
Dante, Petrach & Boccaccio are cited many times as the writers/poets who lived long enough and wrote enough to show common motifs and themes of medieval and early Renaissance Italian literature and art. Boiardo, Lorenzo the Magnificent and others wrote of triumph-style verses as well. I think even Leonardo di Vinci designed a triumph float for the Sforza family before he had to flee the city during one of their conflicts.
The Secrets Tarots and some other modern Lo Scarabeo tarots seem to poke fun or playfully use historical motifs, animals and symbols that you'd find in older patterns.
Stuart Kaplan's Encyclopedia of the Tarot, Volume II, shows a great many samples of the historical art and I think is a good buy for the money. I'm on my way to pick up Volume I, as I'm really interested in the D'Este references...
I'd really enjoy finding out if G. Berti's book on the Mantegna Tarot by Lo Scarabeo will be published in English....
Mari H.

catboxer

Mari:

I think you'll find that volume I is not as informative as volume II, especially with regard to historical information.

However, I has something that II doesn't have: a large section of reproductions of modern decks, some unpublished, many I never saw before, and most extremely interesting.

jmd

With regards to the 'triumph' floats of renaissance northern Italy, I personally do not think that these did have a direct influence upon Tarot. The theory, if I recall, was first mentioned by Moakley in the 1960s. Whether she was the first to notice this possible connection or not I am not sure (& I haven't checked to see if Kaplan adds to it in his Encyclopedia of Tarot).

If the floats were directly connected, one would expect a far greater similarity of either themes or float depictions. Nonetheless, what these indicate is the rich visual environment which northern Italian Renaissance immersed itself in, and the importance of both symbolic representation and visual allegory - both of which are certainly found in the 'triumph' floats and in the Tarot.

Montegna and other sets of cards were certainly common enough. The question which has not been satisfactorily answered, however, is whether there are any connections between the various decks outside of a common milieu, and hence common interests, beliefs, ... and symptoms: the cards.

To me, whereas the Montegna deck clearly depicts a very specific world view, the Tarot appears far more obtuse. Could this very aspect be one of the reasons why, out of the myriad possibilities, it has not only survived, but been picked up by various esoterically interested individuals who sought to variously give an explanation for them - irrespective of whether these explanations satisfy the historian in each of us? As soon as such does get 'picked up', of course, there is a greater likelihood that it will continue interest in the same. If it wasn't for the Golden Dawn, how many of us outside of continental Europe would have developed an interest in the Tarot - or even been aware of its existence?

Mari_Hoshizaki makes some very important comments with regards to the richness of the environment at the time of Tarot's emergence in northern Italy - if only I had more time for such important and serious study!

Myrrha

Kaplan's Encylopedia of Tarot volume II sounds very interesting. From what Mari and Catboxer have said I would be more interested in volume II than I, but only volume I seems to show up at Amazon. Is volume II still in print? And thank you jmd for the information on the triumph floats.

(Edited to remove pesky line breaks)

jmd

If you cannot find volume two of Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot easily, try contacting US Games directly. Failing that, the Theosophical Society Bookshop in Melbourne has a couple of copies on the shelves (as of yesterday, at any rate!).

I'll provide you with their details if you wish to go through this global circumnavigational pathway, and return the book to its country of origin!

catboxer

A note to all:

Volume II is the only volume of the Encyclo on sale through Amazon. One and three are available on the US Games site.