Some people just asking for troubles..

Tobe

So as I was doing a reading for my friend yesterday.
This random guy came up and said he was interested in doing one as well.
"okay. Strange, but normal." I thought to myself.
Which is quite true since it isn't rare that when some passer by saw me in a progress of a reading to be intrigued of the idea of "fortune telling".
So I politely ask him to wait, and he did.

As I'm finishing up the reading for my friend, I let this gentleman sit down across the table.
I then later explain, "before we start, I'd like to let you know. I'm a tarot card reader, I'm not a psychic. I can't tell your future. I'm just depicting the outcome that is most likely will happen depend on your current choices you have made and the flow of your decisions."

He replied "Understood, so how should we do this?"

It's normal that when someone who are new to Tarot don't know what to ask. So I explain the typical questions I'm being asked, like "How does this look so far?" "What will happen if I..." or "Does this change anything, if so. How?"

Then he slapped me with a question of "Do I have any relatives that have names start with L."

W-T-F?

These three letters instantly grind across my mind, and I was stunned by his stupidity.

"Uhm, okay. So, I'm not a psychic. I don't know," I said.

"But you use tarot cards!" He replied.

"Yes, but it's a tool. Like a calculator, or a computer. You ask me a question, I google the answer. Unlike the internet, with definite and clear answers for every questions. Tarot cards offer me a window to use my imagination and intuition to see what the answer is. It's like looking through a blurred glass." I explained, again.

"So you're a fraud." He sharply said.

"No, I already said I'm not a psychic, plus, I'm not charging you." I started to get annoyed.

"Wow, okay. What a disappointment (or somewhere along that line)," he spit out these words and shrugged his shoulders as though he exposed a liar.

"B****, get the f*** outta here before my friend and I kicked your sour little ungrateful a** outta here," my friend jumped in, I silently agreed.

I just gotta say, there are people who just too dumb to understand what they don't understand. Not that their intelligence is flawed, just they closed up their mind so tight. Refusing any possibilities that things aren't as them seem.

It's okay to be skeptics. But, please be respectful while doubting. Questioning helps people to grow, but purposely f-ing with people is just a pure act of taunting like a brute.

HOLMES

you will run into that more and more !

once you put yourself out In the public..
(check again for edited answer,, this was to be first)

you will run into people who try to get free readings by picking a card and asking what this mean. (I allowed them to look at the card so I do one card as a way of letting them see I know my knowledge, and how it works ,but if they do it again I say I can't for you are getting free readings ).
you get some who ask you if you are the 7 of the 7th son, or like you experienced they want more psychic readings and it is good you stuck to your guns.

you will even get the Christian people,, the non believers, the other tarot readers who come up to you and critize you.
I had one person tell me they read for 30 years and I am using warm techiques .. or was it cold techiques about my second year.

the main thing is to be calm,, and stick to your grounds, and be respectful. (as much as you can that is,, imagine if I had someone come out calling me devil worshiper and trying to get me kicked out of reading I would be quite mad. but that hasn't happened yet , knock on wood).

that will even happen in talking tarot publicly ,, one person told me they believe in it..when I was young and I said but I do,, and it works for me. of course I was just 16..and I felt they were attacking my beliefs . as youth do.

it sounds like that is good preparation for reading out in public more and more,, sorry that happened though.

Tobe

I don't charge people, tarot is my hobby, plus I feel like I have more to learn. I'm just doing it for fun. When strangers come up and want a "free" (using quotation mark because I never intended to charge anyway) reading, I genuinely just feel happy and excited to share my hobby with someone new. That is until they turn into a douche.

greatdane

As often as you can tell people you read cards, not minds. That you don't read for Divination. You're not a psychic, a medium. Some won't get it.

I explain how I read, and sometimes even other readers don't get it.

We can just do what we do, what we're comfortable with and there will be those who get it and those who don't.

I hope you consider the source and don't let it bother you, although I am sure it was upsetting at the time.

Gwynydd

It sounds like he wanted to prove tarot is 'nonsense'. I think people are entitled to think it's rubbish if they want to, and it honestly doesn't worry me if they do. But, to approach a stranger in the way he approached you with the sole intent to poke fun at what you do and 'catch you out' by proving whatever it is he wanted to prove, is crossing the line. It's kind of harassment.

Tobe

It sounds like he wanted to prove tarot is 'nonsense'. I think people are entitled to think it's rubbish if they want to, and it honestly doesn't worry me if they do. But, to approach a stranger in the way he approached you with the sole intent to poke fun at what you do and 'catch you out' by proving whatever it is he wanted to prove, is crossing the line. It's kind of harassment.

totally agree.

EmpyreanKnight

That's just how some people are, and we can't really avoid them unless someone invents an anti-b**** force field in the near future. Don't let it bother you too much Tobe, guy just can't help being a jerk. As it is, he'd get his comeuppance one day. Good on you for standing your ground tho.

gregory

As far as I can see he just had no understanding at all of what tarot is. And if you don't get it, you will have unrealistic expectations.

Think of it like someone with earache who goes to an orthopaedic surgeon and asks them to fix it, and when the guy says "look, I don't DO ears, I can't do ears," he turns on him and says "but you're a doctor, are you a quack or something, what do you mean you can't do ears. You can't be a real doctor then." :D

TOTAL lack of understanding or the background to ask the right question, that's all.

prudence

As far as I can see he just had no understanding at all of what tarot is. And if you don't get it, you will have unrealistic expectations.

Think of it like someone with earache who goes to an orthopaedic surgeon and asks them to fix it, and when the guy says "look, I don't DO ears, I can't do ears," he turns on him and says "but you're a doctor, are you a quack or something, what do you mean you can't do ears. You can't be a real doctor then." :D

TOTAL lack of understanding or the background to ask the right question, that's all.

Come on, I know you're a shrewd lady, the guy clearly had an agenda when he chose to engage the reader. Had it been an innocent question due to his lack of understanding, he'd certainly not have declared "you're a fraud!" A normal response would have been a lot more like "oh, sorry, I thought you could see things like that...okay how about this question instead?"

Bad behavior plain and simple, and not worthy of being excused as lack of understanding.

Tobe

pretty sure it's not lack of understanding that's causing me to be mad of him ha...

His attitude in general is just looking for troubles, literally.

The words he used were actually more rude and foul, I "polite-lized" his sayings.

He's looking to proof the Tarot is generally a stupid thing to do, and people who believe in it are dumber than he is. That's his attitude, plain and obvious.