Stephen Hawking, atheism and faith

ivanna

I was reading on the newspaper an interview to Stephen Hakwing, who is spending some days here in Spain.
I don't know if I can link the interview here, or if it will be usefull, as it is full in spanish.
But after saying (hawking) that he is 100% atheist, and that there is no place for faith or God on the universe, as usual a tense discussion started on the comments.

Someone paraphrased Carl Sagan, and told that those persons believen in pseudosciences and superstition are human beings with real feelings, trying to find how the world operates, but that their education and culture did not provide them all the tools to start the search of this knowledge.

I felt he insulted people like me. I believe in something, don't know yet in what. Maybe this is why because I started to study magic. I need to prove it by my self if it works, if its really trye. And it doesn't mean I have less culture or less education than other person being atheist.

I studied and went to the University. And I think there are many people with scientific studies which are also believers.

As said, I started to study magic because I think it will work, and because I need to check it by myself. If I can not complete my studies, or if I cannot experiment something really magickal, impossible to be proved by any rational explanation, maybe I will be back to the atheist mode, who knows.

But it doesn't mean I'm less educated.

gregory

He is a know-it-all who doesn't, like Richard Dawkins. Ignore it. WE know better :D

gregory

It is just such a shame that people like these, who are quite brilliant in their own fields, try to tell everyone else in different areas where they know nothing, how wrong they are ! (I am still very angry with Dawkins, who was unconscionably rude to my daughter at Uni, when she pointed out - in fact just ASKED him ! - about an actual error he had made in one of his books... all she wanted was for him to explain what he had meant...)

ivanna

Yes. There are so sure about their own knowledges that undervalue people not thinking/believing as they do. Maybe they lost their humility somewhere during their path.

celticnoodle

He is a know-it-all who doesn't, like Richard Dawkins. Ignore it. WE know better :D

:thumbsup:

I have not read the interview, so I don't know what was said, and I always had a high regard for Hawkins--but if it is the way Ivanna says, and I know she has no reason to lie about it--I think he is an arrogant and ignorant being. Sad for him. I have to feel very sorry for people like this, especially when they are so well educated and to still be so darn ignorant.

gregory

:thumbsup:

I have not read the interview, so I don't know what was said, and I always had a high regard for Hawkins--but if it is the way Ivanna says, and I know she has no reason to lie about it--I think he is an arrogant and ignorant being. Sad for him. I have to feel very sorry for people like this, especially when they are so well educated and to still be so darn ignorant.
Oh he IS an arrogant twit. AND - which makes him in one way worse than evil Dawkins - he uses his disability (and I am sorry he is so disabled) against anyone who argues - makes them feel GUILTY at challenging someone in his condition, which is dirty pool. :mad: Dawkins is a twerp who belittles people when threatened by an alternative POV, but he sort of fights fair.

Looked for a transcript, but there doesn't seem to be one...

Farzon

So sad, science has lost it's despite to know...

In Austria we had debates about the university in Vienna, where magical techniques and rituals of tribes in Africa were treated In lectures about ethnology.

The guy's from the strict sciences like physics and biology (anyone help me with the English term for those?) were trying to convince the public, the whole institution of humanistic and culture based sciences were full of witchcraft and superstition.

I have no respect for scientist of this kind. They're shielding themselves with the air of objectivity, while In fact using science foyer their own personal agenda.

AJ

Just saying...the original post was about Hawkings and Sagan.

gregory

Just saying...the original post was about Hawking and Sagan.
And about being dismissed - by him and others - who didn't have the "education" to understand science and so "resorted " to magic and other such tools.

Someone paraphrased Carl Sagan, and told that those persons believen in pseudosciences and superstition are human beings with real feelings, trying to find how the world operates, but that their education and culture did not provide them all the tools to start the search of this knowledge.
Being routinely dismissed with "well, you don't UNDERSTAND; you are UNEDUCATED. Science is REAL, and you are just footling around."

Which is what the OP - and I and others - find offensive. The OP and I - and many others here - are thoroughly well educated, and still have the gall to see magic as a viable world view. Our view is as valid as theirs.