Tarot Card signs and symbols: What&#39s it all about?

Thirteen

Esclarimonde asked:
Quote: You can find signs for the querant (like Cancer, Aquarius, etc. are these just called Zodiac signs or something else?) by birthdate, I know but are you also talking about other signs for the elements and how do you classify a person and do they also have a suit sign and how do you classify and what significance do these or other signs have on the querant's reading?

Okay, let's clarify:

1) According to birthdate, everyone has a Astrological sun sign--and several other signs as well (a rising sign, a moon sign, etc. But for a tarot reading, the sun sign is usually enough).

2) These signs are quantified as "Earth signs," "Water signs," "Fire signs" and "Air Signs."

With me so far?

3) The Major Arcana has various assignments. They might be assigned a planet or astrological sign, a Hebrew letter--which is its designation on the qabalistic tree of life--an element--like salt or sulfer, which has to do with alchemy and ancient symbolism--even a color or musical note--also ancient symbolism and alignments with mythology and cosmology.

Now here's the deal: These designations have nothing to do with the querent (per se), nor often the average reading--but they have everything to do with the card. Like the picture and the name of the card they help define it, give it character, personality. And they *do* mean something if you start getting into really esoteric, magical stuff, like quabala. Which has little to nothing to do with reading someone's cards but is really interesting and all about transendence and spiritual transformation.

No beginner really needs to know all this stuff. That's for later, when you get deeper into it.

4) The minor arcana is composed of four suits. Wands, cups, swords, pentacles. These represent elements. Repectively, fire, water, air, earth.

SO, if your Zodiac sign was Leo, then your "suit" would be Wands. Why is this relevant to a reader?

Let's say you're a Leo. I do a reading for you. Almost all the cards are water (cup) cards. I can say, "You're in trouble here. You're a Leo, but you're all wet. The fire's out and you're drowning. This isn't good." Whereas, if you were a Pisces, I might see all those cups and say, "You're in your watery element and very comfortable, feeling very much at home, but you're also being too dreamy. You need more earth and air." (Meaning, they need to be more grounded and logical).

Too many of any suit isn't good in a reading for anyone (it implies an imbalance--too many wands = running too hot, a fierce temper, riding high on energy and likely to burn out)--but if the suit is "their" suit (lots of Wands for a Leo), it can be more good than bad, less damaging, than if it wasn't their suit.

A reader might also want to know your astological sign so that if certain cards showed up, they could know that they refered to you, the querent personally. For example: you're a Leo. I'm doing a reading for you. The queen of Wands appears. Depending on where she shows up in the spread, I'm now more likely to see that queen of wands as representing *you* rather than some powerful, energetic woman in your life (because the Queen of Wands is usually-though not in all decks-Leo).

Give you another example, I use to do regular readings for an Aquarius and The Star (which is Aquarius) showed up often in her readings. I found that the card more likely represented her in such readings than it's usual meaning of hope and healing (not always, but often). So when the Star showed up, I'd usually point to it and say, "There you are in this situation, looking hopefully to the future..." or something to that effect.

Is it coming clear here? Your question was a bit muddled--does this answer it or was there more you wanted to know?

bec

WOW Thirteen,
you truely are just like an never-ending book !!!
New question just turn to next page.

I love it ! ;D

Since I did the 3cards on you - I can?t help sending you a thourght whenever I see the sorcerer from shapeshifter- have you seen that card ? That?s you, just letting the golden book on the table share acient knowlegde.
And does that relate to you according to signs ??? virgo or gemini - I recall you?re a cancer in sun.

Thirteen

Gemini moon as a matter of fact. Which means I'm at my most comfortable listening to conversations, researching analyzing or writing.

I know you're shocked to hear that ;)

esclarimonde

My gosh, Thirteen, amazing doesn't even describe what you are doing for me and all the others. It will take me awhile to absorb this. What you said about too many of one suit that is not the querant's made a lot of sense. I know this is going to be a dumb question but I still don't get how you know which astrological sign is in which element (or suit) card? Did I miss that?

On my Haindl deck I have a Hebrew letter (as well as a rune and an I-ching symbol) on the major arcana. Would this be the Kabbalah letter you are talking about? Maybe I better stop asking questions.

AquarianGoddess

Thirteen,

If I can add my tuppence worth, with a Gemini Moon, you MUST write that book. It's imperative to fulfilling your Moon's needs.

Additionally, we're all gonna buy a copy! There, you've sold 639 already!

AG

Thirteen

Quote:esclarimonde (07 Jan, 2002 13:02):
I still don't get how you know which astrological sign is in which element (or suit) card? Did I miss that?

Astrological signs are the following elements (not sure if you know this):

Aries, Leo, Sagittarus = Fire
Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn = Earth
Gemini, Libra, Aquarius = Air
Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces = Water

So, you match up Earth signs to the earth suit = pentacles.

See? Only the court cards (queen of wands = Leo) and 12 of the Major Arcana relate to specific zodiac signs and that's pretty much in the posts.

Quote:On my Haindl deck I have a Hebrew letter (as well as a rune and an I-ching symbol) on the major arcana. Would this be the Kabbalah letter you are talking about?

The hebrew letter, yes. The Rune and I-Ching are other designations made by the deck's creator :)

Thirteen

Quote:AquarianGoddess (07 Jan, 2002 13:10):
Additionally, we're all gonna buy a copy! There, you've sold 639 already!

AG

LOL! Thanks so much not only for the vote of confidence but for the advanced sales. I guess I'd better get to work ;)

esclarimonde

Thank you, Thirteen. I didn't know that about the signs and elements. I figured you would. The thing I'm looking forward to in your future book is the clarity with which you explain things. Sometimes I read a page of someone explaing tarot and lay the book down in utter confusion.

Jewel

Quote:Thirteen (07 Jan, 2002 16:48):
LOL! Thanks so much not only for the vote of confidence but for the advanced sales. I guess I'd better get to work ;)

~Smiles~ and by the way I have already completed formatting on the Majors and Minors, still working on the court cards and I will e-mail them to you ...

By the way I thought that was interesting how your Moon seems to have quite an effect on you. Mine does the same to me and is actually how most people perceive me.

Love & Light,

Pollux

Hi Thirteen!
I may seem to insist on it too much :-o
but I really want to know what your source for allignments is (It's getting addictive :) !

Or, at least, when your book will be out! ;D