Tarot - for chosen ones or a matter of learning?

Jenny-Li

Hi!

Where I come from, most people assume Tarot is the same thing as doing psychic magic, being able to tell what the future will bring. And it's not for real if you're not "born with it", as a paranormal gift, clairvoyance.

A girl I know, one of the few who knows I'm studying the Tarot, her first remark was that "Oh, that's really interesting. But I've always wanted to go to a REAL psychic." To me that is not the same thing - but maybe I'm the one being wrong here, and should quit acting like I've anything to do here right away...?

Anyway, my question is simply: What do you all think? Can anyone learn to read the Tarot, or do you have to have certain abilities in the bagage from the start? Is there something else that makes some people not able to learn this? And what DOES make a "good Tarot reader"?

Another big question from the newbie, y'all will be fed up with me by the end of the week, I think...! *laugh*

In light,
Jenny :)

Lion-O

(quick edit; thats what you get for posting at 1am)

Quote:Originally posted by Jenny-Li
Anyway, my question is simply: What do you all think? Can anyone learn to read the Tarot, or do you have to have certain abilities in the bagage from the start? Is there something else that makes some people not able to learn this? And what DOES make a "good Tarot reader"?
Blech, I say "yes and no" to a related question in another thread and immediatly get this 8)

Anyway; I think its a bit of both; I really think almost everyone can learn how to use the Tarot deck, to me its nothing more but a tool to unlock certain knowledge, but as with all things in life some people will have more ease to learn and 'master' it then others. Just like anything else in real life, some will succeed and some will fail alltogether.

So far the first part. The second is a lot shorter; I do believe that if you have some basics and some 'paranormal' bagage you could be able to grasp the Tarot much easier and will also get much better readings and results in the process. But thats just an opinion which I really can't backup.

Quote:Another big question from the newbie, y'all will be fed up with me by the end of the week, I think...! *laugh*
I'd say try us :)

Emily

I think that tarot is like everything else, if you have a real desire to learn how to read the cards then you will. I don't think it takes a special kind of person to learn but you do have to be on the right wave length. And then it takes sensitivity and tact to be able to interpret the cards and give good insight - All of which I'm learning to do lol :D (I hope :) )

Original Destiny

Hi Jenny-Li, Can I just alter your question a bit? Can anyone WORK with the Tarot...Yes... is the answer...it's a partnership...you and the Tarot together...free your mind...be receptive...The Tarot will work with you!...let it be your friend

Malachite

I think...once you set up a system of rules and interpretations, and stick to them, it works...once you understand them, it works better...the same with tarot, or runes, or palmistry, or anything...
Even if you use different rules to everyone else.

I think that everyone has the capacity in them to learn that. To say that only some people do is limiting people, and i think thats impossible. People limit themselves, not each other..:)

I'm not sure if you have to believe, or whether thats a different question...

end of the week?...Keep going m'dear, it'll be a while yet!...
;)

Umbrae

Anybody can work with the Tarot. They are equal opportunity.
They also operate on many different levels. You will find a level that you both communicate well on.
They also work as keys, and will eventually begin opening doors.
That?s when the fun begins.

Major Tom

I'm of the opinion that anyone can 'learn to be a psychic' so I guess that includes learning to read tarot cards.... })

The gifts the universe bestows are available to anyone. Desire to receive is the only requirement...

MichaelS

Quote:Originally posted by Jenny-Li
Hi!

Where I come from, most people assume Tarot is the same thing as doing psychic magic, being able to tell what the future will bring. And it's not for real if you're not "born with it", as a paranormal gift, clairvoyance.

Jose Silva did a very good job of showing that everyone is psychic. In the last afternoon of his seminar, everyone attending is shown that they are.

That said, I've always understood that the Tarot doesn't read the future, it reads the present in great detail (feel free to correct me, folks). The future, of course, is always casting its shadow into the now. What is happening today determines tomorrow. If a reading appears negative, it can be considered a "heads up". You can look at what you're doing that's leading in that direction and change it.

---Michael

Kiama

I'm about as psychic as a piece of toast, and I work with the cards every day in my life. I picked it all up very quickly, and haven't stopped learning. I don't think its a matter of pyschic-ness, just a matter of willingness to learn and not give up:
"There's so many meanings to remember..." is usually the one that stops people learning...

Its very nice of you are psychic (Bu how common is that!?) cuz then you receive other info during readings to help you. It is also easier if you are intuitive and imaginative, as I reckon you'd give better reading this way. But I don't think that being able to read or learn how to read the cards is an innate, built in drive in some people and not others. By saying this, we are basically saying that this ability is on the same level as instictively breathing, sleeping, digesting food, letting our heart pump, and self-protection! No matter how much we love Tarot, its not on the same level as those! (Sorry guys I hate to break it to you, but breathing is more important. Jewel, Talisman, stop hyperventilating. Major Tom, you can put that noose down right now, and for goodness sake, Pollux: Put the lighter down and stop trying to torch your decks....)

Kiama

PS- Quick! Quick! Kayne's gone into severe shock! Somebody call an ambulance!

Jewel

Quote:Originally posted by Kiama
(Sorry guys I hate to break it to you, but breathing is more important. Jewel, Talisman, stop hyperventilating. Major Tom, you can put that noose down right now, and for goodness sake, Pollux: Put the lighter down and stop trying to torch your decks....)

Kiama

PS- Quick! Quick! Kayne's gone into severe shock! Somebody call an ambulance!

EXCUUUUUUUUSE ME MISSY? what was that again Kiama ~hyperventilates but tries to clam down, checkin in on Talisman, Major Tom, Pollux, Kayne and Faunabay~ youth ... they just don't get it ~giggles~.

No seriously, Kiama makes a good point. I am intuitive and creative ... have been called psychic but I am not even convinced of that! *LOL*. I have worked hard to learn what I know, and I feel as though I have only begun to learn. I think it is about attitude. Like anything else, if you feel you can't learn it and won't trust yourself then no matter how bad you want to it just won't happen. If you are willing to believe in yourself you can achieve and learn anything.

Hey Pollux if you are going to burn any decks hon let me know, I'll take them ~giggles~ I don't have the Aquarian yet *LOL*.

And although Tarot may not be as vital as breathing, it is certainly as vital as any other pleasure in life (well almost OK *LOL* ;) )