Tarot Journal question

cj

Hi All,

Love the wide eyed smiley..heehee.

I am not one to write in journals. I know they are important it Tarot so I would like to know how you stay consistant, what does the journal look like (should I buy an elaborate blank book?) Do you keep your journal with you?

cj

PS will buy one tomarrow (bigest shopping day in the USA).

MeeWah

A Tarot journal is recommended because it reinforces the learning process as well as a means of recording the results that can be referred to over time.
The type of journal is up to the individual preference, so it can be as elaborate or as minimal as is practical. Size is a consideration if it is intended to be carried about, in which case a smaller notebook would serve more conveniently. Keep it where it is accessible or visible along with a favorite pen. Keep the writing simple to avoid discouraging yourself, especially if you do not like to write or are not accustomed to writing. A a word or two or a thought will do as a beginning.
My journal is a 3-ring binder. For more immediate use, I keep 3-ring binder paper on a clipboard. It stays either in my kitchen or in my bedroom, where it is within sight & accessible.
On each sheet, front & back, I draw two columns the width of a ruler, leaving the remaining wider space for a third column. The first column is labelled "Date". The second, "Card". (If there is more than one card I list them in order of appearance underneath each other.) The last column is labelled "Experience/Event, People, Situation".
In the left-hand margin before the first column, I note the deck.
After I note the card(s), I write a word or two as to what occurs to me in the third column. Afterwards, I may go back & write further, usually a thought &/or a brief review of the day or experience that may relate to the card(s).
I do not get to write at any length daily, but I do record the day's card(s) & a few words or a thought. I also carry a pocket calender book in my purse in which I record the daily cards. It's convenient to use if an idea comes to me so I do not forget.

tarotbear

I usually buy a blank book at the bookstore. You can get a plain one and decorate the cover yourself if you wish. The latest one I bought has a lovely hard cover and the back cover has an elastic that you can pull around the book to help keep it closed. Cost about $10.

The important thing is to keep it with your cards, and keep a pen with it, especially if you take it travelling with you. That way you can write when you feel the need, and not wait until later to do it because then it will be too late.

Try to write at about the same time every day; that way you will become accustomed to write and it will help you get into a routine.

Kalin

The truth is, my method of keeping a journal varies.

Within the last year, I began doing morning pages in conjunction with a book entitled "The Artist's Way", by Julia Cameron. As the year evolved and I bought an oracle book/deck set in which the book text was written by a friend, I included a daily card draw with the morning pages, with an idea toward combining the morning pages with learning the oracle deck.

Occasionally I will have an insight regarding a specific card (for example the Moon card illuminating an insight of the inner self), or perhaps a number (for example the fours can mean the gathering of resources, etc.) and I will jot it down in that day's morning pages.

That's pretty much where I am now. As to journaling materials, I write in whatever notebook is around and has blank pages in it--just a regular old spiral-bound notebook works for me.

Kalin

Melvis

I found a small journal at Barnes and Noble for only $3.95 that's actually meant to be a replacement book for some leather-bound journal. But it's a perfect little size to travel around with.

Also, it has 80 pages, so I can give each card the front and back of a page. I'm using this journal for general notes on each card's interpretation as I'm creating my own deck.

Peace,

Melvis

raeanne

Hi CJ,
My journal is a three ring binder. I keep a page on each reading I do. I mark down the date, the deck used, any specific question or if it is a general reading. Then I draw rectangles to represent the cards that are laid out and write which card was drawn for each position. I write down how many major cards, how many court cards, how many of each suit, and any specific combinations that I see right off. This part doesn?t take very long to do and when I first started keeping a journal, that was just about all I wrote down. There are several pages with no comments at all. As I learned more, I wrote down more of my own thoughts and feelings about each position in the spread and what the card drawn for that position might mean. I sort of grew into my journal. When I look back at the beginning pages, I wish I would have written more but at the time I just didn?t know what to write. I?m glad I wrote the information that I did and it does help to go back over and review and write down any follow up information. So, I would suggest that you write down as much as you can and go from there. As far as keeping it with me, no I don't. As long as I have a blank sheet of paper with me when I do the reading, I can put it in the book when I get home.

cj

cj (23 Nov, 2001 12:17):
Hi All,

Thank you for all your advise. I foud a book with the word "Air" on it at BJ's Wholesale. I have it all figured out. One card per day: the date, deck, card, ^V and what I feel is right.

Then in the back of the book (going backwards) spreads I do.

Thanks again and Melvis, good luck with your deck, can't wait to see it.

cj

Melvis

Thanks for the good thoughts, cj! :)

Actually, you can see one of my completed cards on my profile page. It doesn't have any of the medieval artwork on it that I've been using on the other cards, but I like it. I have four card completely done, (Are they ever *really* completely done, though? :p ) around 12 cards in some stage of completion, and at least 10 more swimming around in my head. No wonder I need a journal!

I don't have a website yet, but in January, I'm hoping to get one set up, so I can show them off there.

Peace,

Melvis

Kissa

BUMP for Chunky

Kissa