Tarot of Prague Café Club - The Fool

Bean Feasa

The Fool in the ToP is a very oriental-looking character - the book tells us he comes from Ali Sufi's Astronomical Atlas, which sounds suitably eastern too. Quite an exotic figure then, in his rich-looking belted coat, a strong orange colour lined with royal blue and closefitting blue and gold cap - not at all the homely, ragged or motley Fool of other decks.
The astronomical connection means that what I took at first glance to be acupuncture points studding his wrists, knees, shoulders and waist are in fact stars marking out the shape of Aquarius. This seems to me to indicate that the Fool knows his own inner resources - he is of the stars and so can step blithely out into the abyss. I like to think that we all have this kind of surprising light within us - and that, like him, when we make a leap we bring our inner 'stardom' to the surface.
The little dog is of the same tribe as the little dog in the Moon card (i.e. he comes from a previous deck of the ToP's designers), and as in that card, he's a wonderful warm homely touch, balancing the dizzy coolness of both these cards.
The Fool seems in danger, but in fact has the world, the elegant rooftops of Prague at his feet. He's about to step off a sculptured stone platform, which, interestingly, is also decorated with stars.
I like his expression - it's rather Buddha-like, dreamy and serene, completely nonchalant. A flower seems to sprout from his right hand, a yellow flower with one green and one red leaf, suggesting vibrancy and creativity perhaps. The sky behind the Fool is spacious, a warm heady blue, seeming full of possibility.
All in all a lovely card, a slightly different rendering of the familiar image, but staying loyal to all the layers of meaning of the archetype.

Jewel-ry

I had my first really good look at this card today and several thoughts come to mind.

His robe is orange the colour of confidence and impulse, but the inside is a purple colour, the colour of perfection. I think he is looking to turn the gown in the other way by the time he completes his journey. Purple (or is it violet) is also the colour of the crown chakra.

The book mentions the astronomical connection to Aquarius which incidentally is also ruled by Uranus (many books connect Uranus to the Fool). Originality, eccentricity, upheaval, boldness and sudden changes are all associated with Uranus. Aquarians have a curiosity about life, which also ties in nicely with the Fool. There are 22 stars on his robe, one for each Major Arcane. There are lots of stars in this card, which brings in hope, aspiration and a calmness. He is happy with his decision and is just going for it!

He stands on his platform, which appears to just float above the city. He rises above society so that he can partake in this journey. The platform is not fixed, he is not fixed. He can’t be pinned down. He is about to undertake an adventure. He has so much confidence and knows that when he takes that step, he will come to no harm. The little dog is trying to warn him but his eyes appear fixed on a target, a goal. The flower in his hand could represent the love of life, another facet of Aquarians.

J :)

Kissa

Tiny marks

There are tiny black marks next to some of the stars (i don't have the deck in the reach of hands now), they are visible on the lower body if i remember properly. Some of them look like an astrological or planet sign but i wasn't sure yesterday. Any clue?

OOOps! maybe i should have knocked at the cafe club door before rushing in?? ;)

Kissa

Jewel-ry

Hi Kissa,

Yes, I did notice those, but couldn't see very clearly. I need a magnifying glass I think :D Perhaps someone else has better eye sight??

Thanks for sticking your nose in the door. Visitors are always welcome!

Kissa

Jewel-ry said:
Yes, I did notice those, but couldn't see very clearly. I need a magnifying glass I think :D Perhaps someone else has better eye sight??

they really are tiny. i took the deck out and watched carefully. since the picture is from Ali Sufi's astonomical atlas, could they be arabic letters? i don't know anything about arabic alphabet except that it reads from left to right...

when you are finished with this magnifying glass, would it pass it to me, love? ;)

K.

PS: First i thought: "oh NOOOOOOOOOOO! what are these black spots on my gorgeous ToP?! then I realised they were next to some of the stars and they looked like a kind of characters, not just an accidental ink spot... Now I am fully relieved to hear that someone else has spots too he he (although we are not teenagers anymore)...

Jewel-ry

I'm sure when Bean Feasa gets here tomorrow she'll throw more light on it!

contrascarpe

I am not sure I have much to add to the observations already stated, but one additional thing did stand out for me.

The platform that he is standing on (already observed to be floating in the air) is that of a person (at first I thought an angel but when I look closer what I first perceived as wings looks more like a cape) apparently shouldering a burden.

Traditionally I am used to the image of the Fool embarking on his journey alone with all his possessions in his little satchel. The only other figure typically being the dog who seems to warn him of the dangers of the unknown. The figure on the platform to me indicates a fore-telling of what is to come - that the Fool will be assisted on his journey by the colorful characters he is about to meet. Therefore I see the platform taking on the secondary meaning of a reminder that no matter what we embark on in life, we are never alone - we have to be aware of all the people we meet along the way who help shape us into what we ultimately become.

Dan

baba-prague

Bean Feasa said:
[BThe little dog is of the same tribe as the little dog in the Moon card (i.e. he comes from a previous deck of the ToP's designers[/B]

Just to throw in a quick comment, no in fact he (and several other elements - including one person in each suit and some other animals) comes from the traditional Czech tarot playing pack. It is a 32-card deck used in Central Europe. The traditional pattern is wonderful, full of odd little animals and other quirky elements. We were lucky enough to find a few WWII copies - which have particularly fine printing and colours - and we used these as the basis for the elements we incorporated.

Why? Well in part it's a nod to the fact that tarot probably began life as game cards. It's also a way to add something else (graphic rather than 3-d) that's unique to this region. Plus - well, we just loved the figures!

I can find a link to some of these cards if that's of interest.
Oh - and if anyone (assuming I won't get a whole flood of requests) is studying ToP and would like a deck of these Czech tarot cards then I can buy a modern set very cheaply - they sell them everywhere here. The modern ones are rather carelessly produced, but still nice. I think even with postage a set would be very little - around $5 or so (and mostly that would be postage).

edited to add - I wish we HAD designed these earlier cards. Perhaps in a past life? LOL

Kissa

Re: Re: Tarot of Prague Café Club - The Fool

baba-prague said:
. The modern ones are rather carelessly produced, but still nice. I think even with postage a set would be very little - around $5 or so (and mostly that would be postage).

the flood of requests officially starts from finland...

more in a pm?

kissa

baba-prague

I'll pick up a few!

I am also going to try to find the original "Fool" picture so that you can see all the markings more clearly. It's a terribly old picture of course - the book is in the Strahov library here.

We did a good six versions of this card before this final one. The earlier ones were dramatic but very dark - we wanted sunny and light.

I might try to fish out one of the early versions too. But I bet it will surprise you!