The Ace of Cups

Parzival

This is an intriguing work of Art, both vividly detailed and deeply mysterious. I know that it is the Grail, but it is much more than just merely associating with that. Actually, the Grail is largely what one thinks and imagines it to be. Everyone is a unique star, and everyone looks to a unique Grail (intended allusion to Crowley). "A's universe is not B's universe," to cite Crowley directly in a great short quote. Back to the Image: I see two worlds in this, a kind of higher energy world above, and a lower energy world below, and the Grail Cup of aquamarine gemstone perfectly set in the middle. Questions-- Just what are these two energies or fields of energies, what are they doing? How do they interrelate? How is the Grail Cup centered in and involved in these two energies or fields of energies? What kind of lotus is beneath the Grail? -- Let the questions (and others) remain open. This can only be not about final meanings but about perceptive and meditative explorations.

ravenest

This is an amazing work of Art, both vividly detailed and deeply mysterious. I know that it is the Grail, but it is much more than just associating with that. Actually, the Grail is largely what one thinks and imagines it to be.

Hi Frank. I was recently watching some more of Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth and he was relating the search and accomplishment of the Grail to ... put it in simpler terms than he did ... the finding and accomplishment of the True Will. As you say it can be many things but I found his view interesting.

Everyone is a unique star, and everyone looks to a unique Grail (intended allusion to Crowley). "A's universe is not B's universe," to cite Crowley directly in a great short quote. Back to the Image: I see two worlds in this, a kind of higher energy world above, and a lower energy world below, and the Grail Cup of aquamarine perfectly set in the middle. Questions-- Just what are these two energies or fields of energies, what are they doing?

Perhaps, in the above context, it is the 'pattern' or predestination of True Will, that which we strive for, our own specicifc archetype of our lifes purpose, a potential energy. The other enrgy is how we manifest it. OR being a water card and connecting to love, emotions, etc it is the 2 inherent in the one, just as -1 and +1 are inherent in the zero, the ace (or Kether point) emerges from the 'void' with the two polarities implied in the singularity? before the two of cups is manifest.

How is the Grail Cup centered in and involved in these two energies or fields of energies? This is not about final meanings but about perceptive and meditative explorations.
Hmmm, the cup recieves and blends .... perhaps we are not going to manifest either of the above two 'worlds' but what comes out of the cup from the mixing?

Parzival

I appreciate your insights which really look with care to the Image. Of course, the Image retains such reach and range of Beauty-truth that it cannot be (nor should it be) fathomed. As you see, there are strong upper, middle, and lower dimensions to this card, paradoxically divided while conjoined. Those undulating, striated colorations Above and Below seem to mirror each other with vivid difference. One is more wing-like, the other more of a splash. And the Cup establishes its Middle like the Anahata Heart Chakra beween Sahasrara Crown and Svadhiisthana PLeasure. This Cup is gemstone-like, a Sapphire-like Form, which brings to mind the Philosopher's Stone. In Wolfram's epic poem about the Grail, Parzival, the Grail is perfectly in the Middle between Light and dark, protected by "neutral angels" who do not engage in the war in heaven by taking sides and polarizing. Wolfram associates the Grail with the "Lapsit Exillis," the Stone fallen from heaven (to the earth?). This Cup's character is a gem (pun). It mediates and centers with Light and Passion.

ravenest

"Thou one in three,
thou three in one.'
Thanks. These are the the type of explorations I like to bring together when our tarot group meets. Hope you dont mind if I share (and accredit it) with them?

I have been looking at the 'Naples Arrengment' in varient lights lately, concentrating around three and four. The three is present everywhere (yeah, I know, they aall are, but when you concentrate on a particular thing .... ;) ). I also see this in Ace of Cups; the one in the centre of the triangle, with the three revolving. In things like the Rite of Jupiter we see the principle expanded. In the Vedic writings the three Gunas are explained with a third 'being' beyond or above them. Here we have the One with the potential of the three. On the water plane. Perhaps its also an artictic portrayal of conception?

Sometimes when I read Steiner and see his attempts to portray what he sensed in art, I think Frieda did a much better job.

Parzival

Ace of Cups

The three rings,yes: alchemical elements, gunas, aeons, body-soul-spirit, etc,etc,etc. And the Cup "runneth over with love." I wonder about the lotus under the Cup, which seems significant and unusual, almost like acorns rather than petals. It goes without saying that this Art is incomparable and all-encompassing. I think The Ace of Cups' color really expresses it all.