The Avignon Papacy

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
I took my info partly from the web, other parts from common history, nothing special, that I do remember.
Just a humble research about the movement of the militaric Mongolic forces.

There should be plenty to work with, at the beginning, on the internet. But the real study will be years - nobody has beat Dummett's work 26 years ago - and he only used other people's research. There has got to be much more to do in this area.

I'm informed, that at least some Chinese card systems also dropped the 10's ... as we see it in Mah-Jongg, which is said to be of late origin. Likely according to the number-system 1-9, 10 - 90, 100 - 900

Yes, I think you're right. But I don't think the Catalans or Spanish got their cards directly from the Chinese! And in any case, they apparently had 10s for some time in the 15th century.

We work on a list-overview with all German decks from 15th centuy ... when the list is finished, then it is obvious, that suits had been really rather different, before they settled in "common" patterns.

I agree; probably the same in France (there are "oval" cards with suits of whips and such).

Huck

Ross G Caldwell said:
Yes, I think you're right. But I don't think the Catalans or Spanish got their cards directly from the Chinese! And in any case, they apparently had 10s for some time in the 15th century.

The Germans also didn't have 1-10 "usually", 1-9, 2-10 and even variations like the Hofämterspiel are there, in which 1, 6, 9, 10 indeed present court cards.
And nobody can say, if the Mamluks always had 10, I would say.