Most uncomfortable card – The Soul Shrinker
1) This card is stark. There is very little to it, including his features. The only things that really stand out are the one eye, and his crooked teeth. I can see his nose, very small and unobtrusive, and his cheek, but they are matted. There is no background. It is a side view. He truly seems to look straight into the soul. That one, black eye. It’s almost a pit full of the knowledge that he’s gained, sucked out, by peering into the eyes of others.
2) This is the psychologist. The Shrink, no less. He is the one who knows you, knows who you are and how you will react, knows the foul thoughts that you have, and what you love, what you yearn for, simply by observing you. He knows you by your gestures, how you cary yourself, the look in your eye. This is the streetwise gangster. The man who can assess a person, a situation, in a split second. Who has gained the talent simply to survive, and wouldn’t think twice about sacrificing you for himself in any way necessary.
3) The only outward symbols here are the eye and the teeth. The eye is incredibly expressive, and says all of the above to me. The teeth are a little more interesting than simply teeth if you think about it. This is where his real ugliness comes in. Whether he is the good guy, or the bad guy, the fact that he knows all of these things about people has twisted his perception. It has tainted him, mostly his heart, and these teeth are that manifestation for us to see. I think also the lack of details is a symbol in itself. There is little to draw you away from the raw feeling that you get. It creeps me out, but I see it’s purpose clearly.
4) Spiritually, damn there’s so much to this card. For me, it’s telling me what I already know. Its looking into me, the same way I look into myself, the same way my perceptive friends do. This is the knower, the seer of feelings, reasonings, subconscious. This is all of the depression, pain, and self created mental problems. This is the healing of one’s self. The looking at the problem, instead of ignoring it. This is the gaining of knowledge and tools to help oneself through future issues, and to help others. This is shrinking the ego, shrinking the pain, learning, knowing.
5) I actually LIKE the eye. It’s scary, yet it’s comforting. In part, it has that ‘wise old man’ feel. He knows.
6) When I look at the Soul Shrinker, I see people that I have known, and I see my own psyche. He is them, each on individually and every time I look at it he becomes them, though they all look so different, tho my own ego/id don’t have a physical manifestation, he looks like them.
I don’t hate this card; it’s not my least favorite. But it makes me the most uncomfortable out of any. It’s the most striking, aside from the Green Lady. It’s a very powerful card, and I wish I had someway to carry the two around with me or something.
p.s. About the Rarr- anyone remember the Golden Snitch from Harry Potter? That's all I have to say about that.