The meaning of the hourglass?

Disa

Hello. I was hoping someone could help me with what hourglasses are used for when they are seen on an altar. I see them in the metaphysical shops, I see them in pictures of people's reading spaces and on their altars and I just wasn't sure of their significance. I would be grateful to hear what they mean to those who have them.

Thank you,

Disa

Sophie

They symbolise Time, who waits for none.

In a reading space, they have a practical function: they tell the reader when the time's up, and indicate how much time has elapsed since the beginning of the reading.

Mi-Shell

When reading publicly - or on a psychic fair it helps to have an hourglas with sands for a given time - 30 minutes- 45 minutes.
When a reading starts you can turn the hourglas over = a riual. The client/ sitter then sees, when the time is over. It helps them to wind it up...
You can do a "regular courtesy" and add a couple of minutes after the sands have run out, to finish up with that client.... You also may have a second hourglas set for the time of the first one plus ~~6 - 8 minutes outside your booth. That gives people waiting a more realistic idea of when a reading is finished and when their reading will start.
See, you may lag behind your original time table of -?? one client every 45minutes and the next clients do not know how much time from that has elapsed... But a half full hourglas of the current reading and 2 names before theirs tells them that they have just under 2 hours to enjoy the fair before their reading with you......

Mi-Shell

...... but on a totaly different note:

- - Disa, do not dance with time!!
- - The only time is NOW!
- - - - - - -:love:- - - - - -

sharpchick

Disa said:
Hello. I was hoping someone could help me with what hourglasses are used for when they are seen on an altar. I see them in the metaphysical shops, I see them in pictures of people's reading spaces and on their altars and I just wasn't sure of their significance. I would be grateful to hear what they mean to those who have them.

Thank you,

Disa
On an altar, they can serve to remind us that time will eventually run out for us in this incarnation, so every moment should count.

There are also spells that use an hourglass, and if some folks use those spells frequently, they may view the hourglass as another working tool they want to keep on the altar.

starrystarrynight

What everyone else said.

I just wanted to add that I am so bummed out that I didn't buy a half-hour glass that Adam's grocery story (here in New England) had on offer last fall for under $10.00! It was a beautiful one, and if the offer ever comes back, I'm buying it!

I think about it (lustingly) all the time.

So, do yourself a favor. If you see one at a good price, buy it. :D

Sophie

sharpchick said:
There are also spells that use an hourglass, and if some folks use those spells frequently, they may view the hourglass as another working tool they want to keep on the altar.
Now that's interesting! What kind of spells?

sharpchick

Fudugazi said:
Now that's interesting! What kind of spells?

I'll have to look one up for you when I get home from work.

Disa

Oh thank you all for these answers. I figured the obvious one(that it symbolizes time) I just wasn't sure how much time and about all the other uses. I'm also interested about it's use as a ritual tool and what types of spells.

Mi-Shell: That's definitely an appropriate message for me as I am always looking ahead and almost never looking at now, so thank you for that xoxoxox

Starrystarrynight I definitely will buy one if I see it at a good price.

Anything at all anyone wants to say about the hour glass will be interesting to me and probably to a few others as well. Keep sharing.

Thank you,

Disa

mac22

Hi,

Like Mi-Shell & others I use a old brass 30 minute hour glass on my table to time the reading. It's a relaxed way to say I'm on the clock. Since I read in 15-30-60 minute segments it makes it fairly simple & easy...:D I may change Tarot reading cloths & decks but the brass hourglass remains.... :)

Mac22