The Wildlife that surrounds us part2

Mi-Shell

In our love and admiration for the Wild Beings we shared over a1000 posts with each other, so it is time for a new thread!
How befitting, that we just managed to snap a picture of a Dragonfly giving birth to her new form by emerging from her larval skin, drying her new wings and getting ready for her first flight.
May she encounter all the mysteries of the world and may she be our mascot for another 1000 posts!
:)

Attachments

• DSC_5715.jpg
    DSC_5715.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_5715_2.jpg
    DSC_5715_2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_5745.jpg
    DSC_5745.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 191

Milfoil

It's also worth mentioning that this thread is in the Spirituality area so the appreciation and spiritual connection regarding all that surrounds us in wildlife is a key aspect of these posts.

Bhavana

ooohh, love the dragonfly pics - and strange you should post them, I saw the most beautiful dragonfly in the back yard today - blue/green shimmery body and deep black wings - but when I looked it up, found it was a "damselfly" - similar to dragonfly, only instead of wings going straight out to sides, they fold over the back. This particular one is called an "Ebony jewelwing"

Here is a googled image, it does not do this beautiful bug justice, though!

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=...56&tbnw=157&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:136,i:99

Bhavana

ah, what is it with robins? Almost every robin's nest on my property never makes it to the happy end, where the baby birds fly off into the sunset....

I have been watching one in heavy shrubbery on the side of the house. For 3 weeks Mama Robin has been patiently sitting on her nest, tolerating me going by with the mower, the weedwhacker, etc etc. Finally I saw that the babies had been born, but I could only see one - and he was huge! Perched on the edge of the nest, it seemed, not in it like usual....anyway, yesterday I went over to inspect the situation - at a distance, of course, and could see that the nest was torn apart. On closer inspection, the baby was on the ground below, dead.

This is the fourth nest that has been raided and destroyed, babies killed and eaten - either by bluejays, or small hawks or owls - not sure because I never see it happen. But it's depressing. I buried the baby robin under our cherry tree. So sad.

Milfoil

Last night, whilst on the deck just sitting. Overhead flies a sparrowhawk and who should be hitting him, butting into him and generally beating him up - a swallow!

Just goes to show, even the hunters get bullied sometimes and by the lightest and least armoured of the species.

hazlit

Willy Wagtails

Those dragonfly pics are :heart: :heart: :heart:

Just goes to show, even the hunters get bullied sometimes and by the lightest and least armoured of the species.
Like the Willy wagtail - they've been known to harass Eagles. Years ago a wagtail in my vege garden routinely attacked a one legged crow that loved to browse amongst the bugs in the morning. The wagtail ALWAYS made the crow leave. It was so delightful to watch. Where I am now our resident Wagtail keeps our cats under control by dive-bombing them whenever they get too suspicious-looking. It's a total joy to see :) And a wonderful demonstration of how the mighty too have their vulnerabilities :)

Mi-Shell

So: Mama Squirrel gave birth to 2 boys.
Now they are all grown up - and fighting and fighting and fighting all day long.
What about?
Sunflower seeds and the territory of our upped deck where these are being handed out.
It is a continuous noisy squabble that on and of escalates into a boxing and scratching match like in the pictures.
Mom is the one that is not participating.

Attachments

• DSC_6482.jpg
    DSC_6482.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_6484.jpg
    DSC_6484.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_6485.jpg
    DSC_6485.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 187

Bhavana

Mi-shell, too cute!!

I have two wildlife stories, one is of baby bunnies. The next door neighbor threw an old wrought iron gate on her front lawn, and then let the weeds grow up around it. One day she finally decided to mow that area, so she and her son picked up the gate, and - what a surprise - there was a nest of baby bunnies under it. I saw this happen, went over, we covered the bunnies back up, and put the gate carefully over them - and mama bunny returned at dusk and dawn every day to care for her little ones.

About a week and a half later, I noticed a man walking down the street stop and look at the gate - maybe he thought they were throwing it away?? He left before I could talk to him. Then, the next morning, I saw that the gate had been moved off of the nest - more like picked up and thrown away from it. I ran over, and found one crushed baby bunny. Likely what happened is that the man had come back in the middle of the night to steal the gate. Since it is so heavy, he must have had an accomplice - they didn't know about the bunnies, but I bet when they picked up the gate, they got an earful of loud baby rabbit squeals - hence they dropped the gate and ran off. In the process, a bunny was crushed.

I knew the others had to be there somewhere in this huge patch of tall grass and weeds. I got a box, and my 10 year old niece who was visiting, helped me - and sure enough, hiding in the grass, we found 4 more bunnies. Eyes open, very frisky - old enough to be on their own soon. I didn't want to just leave them and risk someone coming back for the gate again and crushing another one, or one of our stray cats getting them. We took them to the local wildlife shelter, and they told us to find a cemetery or someplace safe to release them....that they were old enough to be on their own.

There is an old charming cemetery in the part of our town called the Village (historical area)
It backs to some woods with a stream, and where the woods meets the graveyard, there is lots of brush and soft green grass. No busy roads nearby. In this same area, separated from the rest of the cemetery, is a lonely, pink, heart-shaped tombstone of a baby girl who died in 1999 at 3 months. I thought this was a perfect place to let them go. I hope they like their new home!

Ok that was the GOOD wildlife story - the bad wildlife story is that last week I had a tiny teeny tick in my shoulder. It had bit in, and was not easy to get out....I had to have my mom help me, because it was just an awkward area to reach. We got it out, cleaned the spot with alcohol, just like a thousand other tick bites I have had - end of story, right? Noooooo. Lyme disease is very prevalent in the northeast. I don't think there are any areas in my state that are not high risk. You don't even have to live in the woods to have ticks on your property. I noticed yesterday that my shoulder felt sore, and this morning took a good look at it in bright light - I have a big red circular rash the size of a baseball around the bite. That is the first sign of a Lyme disease infection. Luckily I noticed the rash and can get early treatment - this disease can be bad as it progresses, and difficult to diagnose and treat. Tonight I go to the doctor, will probably get an antibiotics prescrip - looking at at least $150, maybe more. Grrrrr.....there goes that big set of Durer colored pencils I was planning on buying.....

Milfoil

We've been doing a lot of work in the garden lately and this little one was hiding under a Hydrangea. I think s/he is a common newt and a very young one at that but if anyone else knows better, please do let me know.

Attachments

• Newt_tn.jpg
    Newt_tn.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 165