The Wildlife, that surrounds us:

RaeBelle

Squirrels

I live in a very suburban busy traffic area, so I don't see a lot of animals. But there are 3 squirrels living near me. Just about every day I look out my window and at least one of them is there. Sometimes I'll see two and they'll run around and chase each other.

Elnor

Like Raebelle, since I live in London I don't get very much wildlife around where I live... although I'm very lucky that there is a park over the road from me where quite a few urban foxes live. (I usually see them if I'm toddling home from the pub late at night, :rolleyes: since they are nocturnal, too!)

Strangely enough, there is also a flock of parrots that I see now and again- they've been popular pets since Victorian times, and over the past hundred years or so obviously quite a few have escaped... and bred! There is now a good-sized colony of them; they are bright green and swoop about screeching- upsets the native London pigeons no end.
They've even got a webpage!

http://www.vino.demon.co.uk/fong/parak.html

There is also a pair of British jays that I see now and again... they are a member of the crow family and are different from the American jay, but still with a bit of blue on their wings... here's a picture of what they look like-

http://www.micuadernodecampo.com/imagenes/anillamiento/javi180605/arrendajo.jpg

elnor

sharpchick

Cardinals, mourning doves, squirrels, rabbits and racoons

Sounds like an odd sort of grouping, I know. But it's evidence to me of the learned intelligence of all the referenced animals who visit my garden each evening to get their share of the grain, fresh veggies and seeds that I discard from my pet bird cages. And the animals have even learned how to tell time.

I go out about 7 p.m. each evening to throw out the remains of the food from the cages of my pet birds. I just fling the leftovers from the four coop cups out onto the ground in my garden - and they are there, waiting. The birds, even the male cardinals, whom I personally see as real wusses, don't fly away.

At times I have actually hit some of the squirrels and the coon with the food. They merely back up and hope my aim with the next coop cup is better. (The squirrels have on occasion even appeared to shrug their little shoulders and roll their eyes at the less than accurate woman pitching supper.)

In the spring and summer months, I take a seat on my porch to watch all these animals eating side by side. There is no squabbling and no one animal tries to claim all the territory.

The coon has quit attacking my seed feeders although (s)he still couldn't resist the hummingbird feeders this past summer - so I started taking them inside at night.

I love it.

Debra

Wonderful to read all this!

Here's our scrub jay. He weighs the peanuts I leave on the railing to find the heaviest and prefers the one I hold in my hand.

I think of him as "ours" in the sense of being a neighbor. I wish he could tell me how he and the other birds survived the huge windstorm of last week.

Attachments

• compressed scrub jay.JPG
    compressed scrub jay.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 85

Briar Rose

Debra, how sweet of you to feed the birdy. I love them too.

ravenest

Red bellied black snake

Yesterday I expanded my vegie garden, pulled back the black plactic that is killing off the next row of grass and out comes this big angry red belly> I wanted to kill it, but thought better of getting into a fight with one of those. It went off into the Pumpkin patch ... somewhere ... great!

I love pottering around my vegie patch semi-naked and barefoot. It's in there somewhere ... what do I do now?

http://walkaboutpark.com.au/index.php?id=48

Sonic

re: snakes

"...The Red-bellied Black Snake gives birth to 8-40 live young at a time."

I love nature as much as the next person but oh .. HELL NO.. I'd be on the phone with animal control and carry a big shovel! :thumbsup:

Mi-Shell

Snowshoe

Hi Everyone!
I am glad, you all like to share your wildlife sightings here!

Life is back to normal in the Ontario bush. The water levels in the creeks are down and the Beavers are back in their lodges.
We have a new dusting of snow on top of the old crusty one and that makes ideal conditions for tracking.
There are an abundance of tracks to be followed and often we discover the animal itself or its den or hiding place. Deer, Fox, Marten and Fisher tracks are most abundant, along with Snowshoe Hare.
According to statistics of the Ministry of Natural Resources we should have at least 30 Snowshoe Hares living on our land - give or take. Only- we never see them! In the summer their brown fur hides them well, and now, with everything being white - so are they!
Ok; there is 1 Snowshoe, that during the summer lives underneath our deck and is quite tame, hardly moving when we walk or drive by, coming up to us to investigate if there are any hand-outs of salad leaves, carrots, broccoli or apple peal...... But where does she --yes, she also has little ones underneath the deck that shortly after birth run around everywhere....
Where does she go in winter? Spruce and Fir tree thickets are preferred winter habitat.
Today on our walk we went to such a place. Sadly several large Black Spruce ad been literally twisted of their trunks in the recent storm and formed a messy tangle of branches.
And leading into that were fresh Snowshoe Hare tracks.
And then we saw the animal, almost hidden by the branches. We fully expected it to flee, as we approached closer, to take a picture.
We spoke softly to the critter and - - - instead of running away it approached!!- - - as if asking: ”Do you have anything for me?”
Then we realized, this is “Our” Snowshoe!!!
This is where she spends the winter: and a good place it is!
I only had sunflower seeds, but that was ok too!

Attachments

• Well hidden.jpg
    Well hidden.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Snowshoe sm.jpg
    Snowshoe sm.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 88

Lillie

ravenest said:
Yesterday I expanded my vegie garden, pulled back the black plactic that is killing off the next row of grass and out comes this big angry red belly> I wanted to kill it, but thought better of getting into a fight with one of those. It went off into the Pumpkin patch ... somewhere ... great!

I love pottering around my vegie patch semi-naked and barefoot. It's in there somewhere ... what do I do now?

Put your boots on.

Lillie

Beautiful pictures, Mi Shell!