This post is only good for 6 days.

Umbrae

Go to e-bay. In the search window type Tarot.

Sort the results by Highest price first.

Please have a towel handy for the drool factor.

Diana

Umbrae: How can you do this to us?

I was having a nice quiet day, thinking "it doesn't matter that I've lost my job, money is not so important, after all......."

And now this!

Where's my towel?

Kaz

a towel was not enough, better grab a sheet

kaz

Sea Sprite

Re: Umbrae: How can you do this to us?

I was having a nice quiet day, thinking "it doesn't matter that I've lost my job, money is not so important, after all......."

And now this!

Where's my towel?

I second Diana's post! LOL :)

Silverlotus

*sigh* I wonder if I added it to my Christmas list... Nah, probably not. But I can dream. They are beautiful though. As much a piece of art as they are a piece of Tarot history.

rota

And who's selling these museum pieces?

U.S. Games!

What's the story behind this? Anybody here know?

Lee

If you click on "Learn About Seller," it seems that Stuart Kaplan of US Games is selling off a portion of his extensive collection. He has a large number of items for bid, but according to the text, it's only a small portion of his entire collection. It seems to be mostly playing card and game stuff as opposed to tarot.

You know, I've always wanted a reproduction of this Gotti deck, but I don't think there are any. There is a reproduction of Gotti's Soprafino-style engraved deck, but not of this woodblock deck (which I prefer to the engraved one). Kaplan's encyclopedia has pictures of the cards.

-- Lee

Alissa

Umbrae,

Thanks to you, I now have fallen in love with the Gumppenberg Tarot. And my husband just about fainted when I called him over to see.

Then he saw the wood blocks.... :D

catboxer

Am I correct in assuming that 25 of the first 26 items on that e-bay list are from Kaplan's estate?

The woodblocks are gorgeous, but a little rich for me. Now Lando's Marseilles deck from 1760 for $1437...hmmm...I think I have to go talk to my wife.

Laurel

If I could afford anything from those auctions (and I can't), I would personally choose either the Grand Etteilla tarot circa 1900 or Lombardy Tarot, 1887.

Laurel