Watership Down tarot

tiger lily

No, it?s not an actual deck, unfortunately :(
- I?d really like to see one. But I?m reading WD for the 6th or 7th time now (can you tell I?m obsessed? LOL) and I automatically begin to see the protagonists as the Major Arcana....

The Fool - Bluebell, the clown of the warren

The Magician - El-arairah, the prince with a thousand enemies and even more tricks
or
Blackberry, the genius (he invented the boat for the rabbits )

HPS - Fiver, of course; the seer

Empress - dunno... Clover? She was the first "mother" of Hazel?s warren

Emperor - at first I?d say Woundwort with his obsession about security, hierarchy and regulations; but he?s a rather twisted character, so I?d say it?s Hazel, the founder and protector of the Watership Down warren

High Priest - Dandelion, the warren?s bard and lore keeper

Lovers - hmm... Bigwig and Hyzenthlay? Although they were only conspiring, it wasn?t very romantic...

Chariot - Bigwig, my favourite, my champion! The brave warrior who fought rats and foxes, infiltrated Efrafa, freed the does and fought Woundwort

Justice - ?

Hermit - Fiver under the Yew (in Cowslip?s warren)

Wheel - ?

Strength - the rabbits befriending Kehaar

Hanged Man - Bigwig in the trap

Death - the black rabbit of Inl?

Temperance - ?

Devil - Woundwort; he was the arch-enemy of the WD rabbits

Tower - the destruction of the Sandleford warren by humans

Star - Fiver?s Vision of Watership Down ("someplace high, where the wind carries the sound of every approaching enemy" - I?m paraphrasing here)

Moon - Cowslip?s warren of the shining wires

Sun - Frith, the rabbits? god = the sun

Judgement - the dog that kills the invading Efrafa rabbits

World - Watership Down itself

Any WD lovers out there? Any ideas for Justice, Wheel and Temperance?

Elphaba
19 Sep 2001

What a great idea! This is one of my fave books of all time. It's been a long time since I read it so I'm rusty with the characters. Their god Frith, he sort of represents Justice as well when he evened the playing field and gave all of the other animals equal gifts so the rabbits wouldn't take over but since he is the Sun god he fits witht the sun card much better. The Wheel could be represented by the seasons...although I can't remember if they were talked about it the book. It could also be represented by all of the different animals that Frith gave gifts too. Temperance could be represented by the river...or was it a brook? The Fool could also be their foolish carefree ancestor (forgot name) that got all of the rabbits in trouble in the first place with Frith? Saying the rabbits were only there to have fun and eat and multiply...sorry if this is totally wrong cause it's been a long time. He's the one that got his tail turned white.

purplelady
19 Sep 2001

'Ya know , I once read this book ,and I think I might even still have it . But if I do it's packed in boxes because I'm moving. All I can remember is a vague recollection that it's about animals! Sorry, it was many years ago! Maybe it deserves a re-read?

.dc
20 Sep 2001

yeay! this is my favorite book, i have read this over and over... and i;d love the idea of a watership down tarot.

um, suite names... how about the foodstuffs they ate. cowslip, grass... etc.

i'm glad you brought this up.
blessed be and peace,
.dc

tiger lily
20 Sep 2001

Elphaba: I included El-arairah, the mythic ancestor, in my first draft, but decided that I would only use the actual story and not the myths of the rabbits; come to think of it, El-arairah would fit nearly every Major Arcana (as befits a mythical, divine ancestor :) )

I thought about the wheel; anyone rmember the scene where Hazel sets loose the farm-dog? He sits on top the dog?s hut, and when the dog breaks loose, the hut tumbles and he falls down - he?s threatened by the cat - miraculously rescued by the girl, Lucy - brought back in a car (gasp! a rabbit in a hrududu! ;-) ).
This scene certainly fits an "unexpected turn of events" and a full round from top to bottom to top again...

Temperance - I thought of Captain Holly, perhaps? He?s described as reliable and lacking the typical mischief of the other rabbits. Besides, his journey from the destroyed sandleford warren to watership down could be seen as his healing (physically, as he was saved by the WD rabbits, and emotionally, as these experiences changed his attitude).

I?m still at loss as to what could be Justice... perhaps Hazel?s decision to accept Strawberry? And Straberry constructed the "Honeycomb", the central hall.
Or it could be teh incident where Hazel saved the mouse from the falcon, without having a personal advantage by this action. Later the mouse warned them of the approaching Efrafanian army - without its warning the WD rabbits would have been caught completely by surprise. (Good) karma in action!

.dc: SUITS! God, I begin to see myself actually *designing* that deck... :D

The Watership Down tarot thread was originally posted on 19 Sep 2001 in the Tarot Decks board, and is now archived in the Forum Library. Read the threads in Tarot Decks, or read more archived threads.

Elphaba

What a great idea! This is one of my fave books of all time. It's been a long time since I read it so I'm rusty with the characters. Their god Frith, he sort of represents Justice as well when he evened the playing field and gave all of the other animals equal gifts so the rabbits wouldn't take over but since he is the Sun god he fits witht the sun card much better. The Wheel could be represented by the seasons...although I can't remember if they were talked about it the book. It could also be represented by all of the different animals that Frith gave gifts too. Temperance could be represented by the river...or was it a brook? The Fool could also be their foolish carefree ancestor (forgot name) that got all of the rabbits in trouble in the first place with Frith? Saying the rabbits were only there to have fun and eat and multiply...sorry if this is totally wrong cause it's been a long time. He's the one that got his tail turned white.

purplelady

'Ya know , I once read this book ,and I think I might even still have it . But if I do it's packed in boxes because I'm moving. All I can remember is a vague recollection that it's about animals! Sorry, it was many years ago! Maybe it deserves a re-read?

.dc

yeay! this is my favorite book, i have read this over and over... and i;d love the idea of a watership down tarot.

um, suite names... how about the foodstuffs they ate. cowslip, grass... etc.

i'm glad you brought this up.
blessed be and peace,
.dc

tiger lily

Elphaba: I included El-arairah, the mythic ancestor, in my first draft, but decided that I would only use the actual story and not the myths of the rabbits; come to think of it, El-arairah would fit nearly every Major Arcana (as befits a mythical, divine ancestor :) )

I thought about the wheel; anyone rmember the scene where Hazel sets loose the farm-dog? He sits on top the dog?s hut, and when the dog breaks loose, the hut tumbles and he falls down - he?s threatened by the cat - miraculously rescued by the girl, Lucy - brought back in a car (gasp! a rabbit in a hrududu! ;-) ).
This scene certainly fits an "unexpected turn of events" and a full round from top to bottom to top again...

Temperance - I thought of Captain Holly, perhaps? He?s described as reliable and lacking the typical mischief of the other rabbits. Besides, his journey from the destroyed sandleford warren to watership down could be seen as his healing (physically, as he was saved by the WD rabbits, and emotionally, as these experiences changed his attitude).

I?m still at loss as to what could be Justice... perhaps Hazel?s decision to accept Strawberry? And Straberry constructed the "Honeycomb", the central hall.
Or it could be teh incident where Hazel saved the mouse from the falcon, without having a personal advantage by this action. Later the mouse warned them of the approaching Efrafanian army - without its warning the WD rabbits would have been caught completely by surprise. (Good) karma in action!

.dc: SUITS! God, I begin to see myself actually *designing* that deck... :D