what is a witch to you

DownUnderNZer

My mother's mother and dad's mother.

A cross between old dragons and full blown witches only one was more on the dark side.

One I reckon delved into the Satanic side of rituals and pursuits using children although some "elders " claim she was something more of a hunter and only did rituals to protect etc.

I reckon when you use children even if just as a part of a circle - it isnt right. Nothing can persuade me to think otherwise.

All I know is she did it, but my grandfather stopped it. My parents never allowed us near there when she was going through that particular phase. Amen and Halla whatever. :D

The same granny that grabbed an axe during Menopause. :D

Even looked like witches too only no warts or discolored skin.

Both are my idea of witches and neither like Samantha Stevens.

DND :)

HearthCricket

A true witch does not practice Satanic arts. Satan/The Devil, is a Christian creation, and therefore has no part in our lives. Yes, I am a witch. I was brought up in the Episcopal Church, converted to the RCC back in the 80's, lapsed and found my home in Pagan practices. A spirituality and path that is old, surrounds itself with nature, the seasons, connecting and working with animals, elements and elementals. I consider myself a witch because I am actively doing spellwork and studying, pursuing my path. I am not Wiccan, I do not belong to a Coven, I don't don myself in Gothic clothing or tattoos and piercings, I have no warts, nor look like a hag. I am also not a New-Ager. I honour the old Gods and whomever walks into my life and chooses to work with me. I recognize that throughout history old Gods are replaced by new ones, transformed, forced to fit the agenda of men. I am part Greenwitch; someone who works with plants and herbs. I am part Hedgewitch; someone who Hedgewalks, works with the fae, pathworking, honouring nature in both life and death. I refer myself to a HearthWitch; someone who practices both outside in nature, but also loves her home and her hearth is the heart of her home...where I cast my circle, where I scry, cast spells, etc. If you look at me you cannot scream witch. But the minute you enter my home and start walking around, you know my path is different and magical, inviting and gentle. Like others have said, I am simply me!

Flames

That's so beautiful, HearthCricket. It reads like poetry to me. Thank you!

earthair

A Wise Woman/man.
I think there are a lot of permutations of possible beliefs and practices, but there is usually a critical mass reached where someone does so many witch-y things from the list (moon/God/Goddess worship, occult study, herbalism, shamanism, healing, clairvoyance, astrology, magic, spell casting, Ceremonial Magick, runes, tarot, scrying, meditation etc etc) that they are a witch almost by default in society's eyes, even if they don't identify themselves that way. The trick is to wear jeans ;)

Tanga

My first introduction to "witchcraft" (20-plus years ago) was an advertisement that read, "Harness the power..." So, after many years of personal study, my view of witchcraft is that it is the ability to harness your personal power to create significant change in your life, regardless of your religious or spiritual beliefs. A "witch" is a person who realizes they have complete control and responsibility over their own destiny. No special powers required... ;)

Beautifully succinct. :)

A Wise Woman/man.
I think there are a lot of permutations of possible beliefs and practices, but there is usually a critical mass reached where someone does so many witch-y things from the list (moon/God/Goddess worship, occult study, herbalism, shamanism, healing, clairvoyance, astrology, magic, spell casting, Ceremonial Magick, runes, tarot, scrying, meditation etc etc) that they are a witch almost by default in society's eyes, even if they don't identify themselves that way. The trick is to wear jeans ;)

I love my jeans! :joke:

Falcor

A Wise Woman/man.

I agree with you very much.

Witch also someone feels deeper, see more then the average person. She or he has deeper understanding of this plane and others, can cross or/and work with other planes or realities and their inhibitants. People like that think differently and may stand out in a crowd just by being there.

Being a witch it's not a curse(at my opinion) but a part of a person. It's there with you from your birth till your death. The question if you'll be able to manifest/realize your abilities or they'll stuck in and make you not very happy.

Tigerangel

ok i'll make this a little more personal if you guys don't mind.

i'm gonna ask you directly if you yourself identify as a witch and why or why not

Personally no I do not identify as a witch, although I have been called one multiple times when people find out I use tarot and do shamanic journeying, the reason I don't identify as a traditional witch is because I don't belong to a coven, to me that is traditional for identifying as a witch.

When people call me a witch I now reply with "no I'm not but I know how to put a spell on you if I wanted too but I value my karma too much to interfer with your free will" the look on their faces is priceless lol

Morwenna

When people call me a witch I now reply with "no I'm not but I know how to put a spell on you if I wanted too but I value my karma too much to interfer with your free will" the look on their faces is priceless lol

Beautiful! :laugh:

I do jokingly call myself a witch; I am not Wiccan, but I do have some Pagan beliefs and practices, and I have been fascinated with the idea and image of the witch for many years, even before finding the Pagan community(ies). If I were to actually specialize, it's the path of the hearthfire that attracts me; when I'm not pressured (such as baking a fair entry), I tend to incorporate blessings and intent into my cooking/baking. This means I really have to cook more often! :) I've always been interested in divination, having started with astrology some 40 to 50 years ago, though I rarely do spells (mostly special candles and small rituals, unless I'm lucky to get involved in a group ritual somewhere). What holds me back? Inertia, mostly...

But in general, see the various posts above for more complete definitions. I can only answer for myself.

celticnoodle

Enjoying reading everyone's posts here. I know some people call me a witch, but mostly because they don't care much for me-not so much because of what I do. (as far as I know anyway! ;) ). But, if they did in front of my face, I do know I'd smile and thank them for it.

I don't think myself a witch though. I am not Wiccan, nor a Shaman, nor a healer- but I do many things many of the others here posted about. Some of which was passed down in the family as things you should do--and so, if these things make one a witch--then I am one and come from a long line of them! :D

I'm not sure you could say that I do spells, but when I do want something, I do say special prayers to receive what I want--and when it comes to be, I also offer up thanks for said answer to my prayer. Lately, I've also begun doing crystal grids and I also do special things (spells?) to keep our homes safe, keep our cars safe, keep us safe individually. (Catholic medals hang throughout our home, are in our cars, and I wear medal(s) now along with crystals around my neck or in my pockets).

I will work with herbs and other plants and always searching for herbal remedies and ways to clean our home and whatever. I much prefer working with natural ways first before relying on man made chemicals for anything--cleaning, medicines, etc. I also believe in fairies, elves, and the like, all of this is something I've learned from my grandparents, who learned these things from their families too.

I love to meditate, especially in prayer, I love to grow herbs and when we are able, our own vegetables as well. I love to make my own laundry soaps (so easy & CHEAP!), and my own facial cleaners and moisturizers, and shampoo and conditioner. Though, sometimes I do buy commercial--I really prefer my own recipes.

I'm interested in all forms of divination, collect rocks and crystals from everywhere I go, and enjoy studying all forms of spiritual practices. I'm not a shaman, but I've had many interesting shamanic experiences. I'm not a healer either, but I do feel I may have helped many people in their healings with my prayer meditations. I strongly believe in prayer.

I am a psychic medium and have always been one, since I was a kid. I didn't realize the skills I had even had a title to it--"psychic medium", and didn't think it was anything special really--though I did know that my friends didn't have this ability. I enjoy all my 'clair' abilities and really love my astral travelings. And, earthair, if the trick is indeed to wear jeans, :laugh:, then I must be one! I LIVE in my jeans. And, if all this does indeed make me a witch, then so be it. I will wear that title with pride. :D

DownUnderNZer

She was a devout Christian, Catholic, all blimin religions under the sun as she changed them like one changes clothes!. :bugeyed: Maybe not quite satanic really.

Dark side though.

Now I know why I like Supernatural. :D

DND :D

A true witch does not practice Satanic arts. Satan/The Devil, is a Christian creation, and therefore has no part in our lives. Yes, I am a witch. I was brought up in the Episcopal Church, converted to the RCC back in the 80's, lapsed and found my home in Pagan practices. A spirituality and path that is old, surrounds itself with nature, the seasons, connecting and working with animals, elements and elementals. I consider myself a witch because I am actively doing spellwork and studying, pursuing my path. I am not Wiccan, I do not belong to a Coven, I don't don myself in Gothic clothing or tattoos and piercings, I have no warts, nor look like a hag. I am also not a New-Ager. I honour the old Gods and whomever walks into my life and chooses to work with me. I recognize that throughout history old Gods are replaced by new ones, transformed, forced to fit the agenda of men. I am part Greenwitch; someone who works with plants and herbs. I am part Hedgewitch; someone who Hedgewalks, works with the fae, pathworking, honouring nature in both life and death. I refer myself to a HearthWitch; someone who practices both outside in nature, but also loves her home and her hearth is the heart of her home...where I cast my circle, where I scry, cast spells, etc. If you look at me you cannot scream witch. But the minute you enter my home and start walking around, you know my path is different and magical, inviting and gentle. Like others have said, I am simply me!