What is wicca?

ann823

I was looking in the tarot deck section and read the thread on the new Book of Shadows deck(s)coming out soon. I followed the links to Barbara Moore's site and it seems that these decks are based on wicca? What is wicca? I have had the impression its a new made up religion of some kind so never looked into it.

tarotbear

Imho~

Wicca is a blanket term these days for a lot of new religious-type practices built on older reigious-type practices. I am sure someone will dispute that statement. There are those that say wicca in NOT Pagan, that Pagan is NOT witchcraft, and that witchcraft is NOT wicca! There are those that say it is all three.

Wicca is generally a Goddess-based practice. Being Wiccan and practicing witchcraft are two different things.

A Wiccan-based deck will have images that relate to Wicca the way that Golden Dawn decks have symbology that connect to the beliefs and practices of the Golden Dawn. So you may find images that relate to the 'Mother-Maiden-Crone,' the Horned One, the Morrigan, the Green Man, references to the Wheel of the Year, or images with a heavy Celtic or Norse influence.

It's fascinating stuff to learn about!

PathWalker

Wicca is a specific branch of religion, you'll find a reasonable description here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

Wicca is a pagan religion, yes. All religions except christianity can be described as pagan, because the word was used by the christaian church to describe anything other than their own 'brand' So muslims, jews, everybody else is pagan.

Wicca (the religion) and witchcraft (a specific practise sometimes related to a religious theme, like yoga for example) are not one and the same, but often mistakenly limped together :)

PathWalker

... I have had the impression its a new made up religion of some kind so never looked into it...

All religions are "made up"
In terms of newness, christianity is much newer that judaism for example.
Worship of this type is considered much older than most main-stream religions of today, although not of course identical to ancient practises.

ThunderWolf

All religions except christianity can be described as pagan, because the word was used by the christaian church to describe anything other than their own 'brand' So muslims, jews, everybody else is pagan.

Though this is technically true it's my understanding that the more generally accepted definition of paganism excludes any of the Abrahamic regligions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam).

All religions are "made up"
In terms of newness, christianity is much newer that judaism for example.
Worship of this type is considered much older than most main-stream religions of today, although not of course identical to ancient practises.

Actually, Wicca is fairly new, believed to have originated in the 1950's. Gerald Gardner created Wicca, and it is believed that he based the religion on older witchcraft beliefs, ancient goddess worship and also took some ceremonial elements from the Golden Dawn. I'd suggest for more information on the beginning of Wicca that you do some research on it's history on your own so that you can form your own opinions as there are more than one schools of thought on that.

PathWalker

The link I gave to wikipeadia does indeed discus that wicca is a fairly new construct - what I was implying was that goddess recognition, polytheistic worship and such like were ancient practises, I did not suggest that the structure of modern wicca was in any way ancient :)

And yes, the suggestion to read, read, read about all religions is good advice.

PathWalker

Though this is technically true it's my understanding that the more generally accepted definition of paganism excludes any of the Abrahamic regligions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam).

Well I'll go with the 'technically true' bit then - which helps avoid 'pagan' being used as a derogatory term, doesn't it?
We must all tread with care and respect around others' beliefs.

Anna

What is wicca? I have had the impression its a new made up religion of some kind so never looked into it.

That is my opinion of it too. The more I find out about it, the more irritating I find it. Trouble is, it has permeated and coloured so much other stuff that it is difficult to get away from.

Richard

The term Wicca is frequently (mis)used to refer to any goddess/nature based type of witchcraft or paganism, but in fact it is a fairly new religious system consructed by Gerald Gardner, as stated in ThunderWolf's post. Gardner was a Freemason and friend of Aleister Crowley and may have a good grasp of the Western Esoteric Tradition, some of which he incorporated into Wicca. Any claim of hoary antiquity for this religion is false, but as in Freemasonry (whose origination with Adam has even been claimed at times), it is a fun thing to pretend. There is nothing particularly harmful or sinister about Wicca, as far as I know.

Carla

If you really want to know what Wicca is, read the superb 'Triumph of the Moon' by Ronald Hutton.