Why it's ok to be Catholic and a Psychic-Medium

MissNine

Catholic Church says it's ok to be a Psychic-Medium

Based on the Church's take on Psychics and Mediums, it's ok to be a Catholic psychic-medium. I've often wondered what the deal was...why so many Christians think it's evil to divine. There's plenty to call out the Catholic Church for. I'm not defending the church. I'm making an argument as to why the church supports natural born psychics. Maybe this will help others explain to haters why they even the Church says it's ok to be a psychic.

Conclusion from my Research
As long as:
1) I have been given the gift of prophecy/divining/channeling by God and have not asked for it
2) the channeling and messages are done for the highest good (ie., not to control others or manipulate situations for selfish gain)
3) I explore my God-given gifts for self-awareness and for the good of God
4) I do not practice divination for a purpose that the Church would not accept (there's a need to ask the Church for guidance on divining for money or for commercial purposes)
4) I do not manipulate others with my divining gifts
5) I do not explore the energy of Satan/the dark...
there is nothing evil or "wrong" about using my gift for the highest good.
:thumbsup:

Bases for My Conclusion...

The Bible
Several people were visited by angels and the Lord and given messages (Moses, Noah, Mary, Joseph) We have been taught that these messages/visitations were for the highest good and from God.
Prophets foretold of future happenings.
And let's not forget those who saw Jesus rise from the dead.
In none of my catholic school classes was I ever informed these people in the Bible were evil, crazy, blasphemers, or worked with Satan to receive these messages.

Catholic Dogma
In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, there are a few verses (2115-2117) that are important, and 2116 in particular deals with Divination:

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link to the Catholic Answers forum page which this is discussed, so I will quote member Michelle Arnold's explanation of this section for another member on the thread entitled "Why would psychics need a patron saint?":

Note carefully what this text says. It says that "all forms of divination are to be rejected" (which includes deliberate attempts to "unveil the future") and that consulting the various means of divination and practitioners of divination make apparent a desire for power and hidden powers.

Now please note what the text does not say: It does not say that no one can see into the future or that there may not be people who have certain abilities that they do not seek and do not try to use. If such people do not actively practice divination or seek to cultivate unexplained psychic abilities, they are not culpable for anything they do not will and certainly cannot be dismissed as "affiliated with the devil."

It is possible that God could give certain abilities to certain individuals that they do not understand, do not desire, and do not seek to use in forbidden ways. For example, some saints, such as Padre Pio, have had a number of talents that are presently inexplicable (e.g., prophecy, bilocation, reading souls). Since God's gifts are not dependent on the personal holiness of the recipient, it is possible that ordinary people may also have similar talents that they must learn to bring into conformity with Catholic teaching.

This same member commented to another member who sees visions and was afraid it meant they were evil:

First of all, it is not necessarily "an affront to the First Commandement" to be able to see into the future, if the gift is a natural or supernatural ability that has not been sought after by the recipient. That is why it was not sinful for certain saints to foretell the future. The future was revealed to them by God.

The Church's Diviners
The Church has granted a chosen few priests the power to perform exorcisms. By performing exorcisms, the church acknowledges that channeling the positive energy of the Lord is possible AND has bestowed upon a mortal, the ability to act as a conduit of the Lord's energy. Tools for this energy work are used (Holy Water, Bible, Rosary, etc.). They are used for the highest good by He who is ordained by the Rome to perform this work.

As a Catholic who has not taken the vow of Holy Orders, I am not permitted to harness the energy of the Lord/Universe at my command and combat the energy of the dark. I do not have the permission of the Church to cast out Satan/evil energy from another person. This is an ability given to priests chosen by Rome/God.

Catholics (and non) at AT, please chime in!
Peace be with you... :angel:

celticnoodle

As a Catholic and Psychic - Medium myself, I find the Catholic Church does a lot of double talking. I can't help but to also say the only reason they would say it is okay as long as: (to quote you)

there's a need to ask the Church for guidance on divining for money or for commercial purposes

is so they can get your cut of the money.

I love my faith, but I don't love the CC much. I have seen so much selfishness and greed within the church and seen where the Priests and Nuns and other CC people do not practice what they preach, and that bothers me. However, this said, I think our new Pope, Pope Francis is helping to turn things around. However, one man may not be enough to fix the CC--and especially where divination is concerned.

MissNine

Im not passing judgement on the church dogma, but taking the dogma and facts and explaining to Catholics that the church welcomes psychics. :)

I tried to keep personal judgment of the church out. If I didn't, I would have written a 30 page memo on the contradictions of the church. Trust me, CN I have my issues with the church. But figured it worthwhile to mention the info here in case some of us have spouses or family who are look at us like we're heathens. They can sit on it. :p

tarotbear

There's Saint Agabus click here; Patron Saint of Fortune-Tellers.

Shade

Santa Clara is the patroness of clairvoyants (and television to boot).

MissNine

Sorry if this leads from the subject again (sorry about your last thread) but after reading this article, one could ask why wouldn't they be okay with it?

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/mistic/religionsplanetearth85.htm

Note, I was raised Catholic but am exploring many forms of spirituality now.

I totally agree they would be ok....with people who are born with gifts. I wrote the article after my cousin told me her Christian husband said his belief in Christ prohibits him from being ok with psychics and mediums.

With Catholics like Bernadette and Joan of arc, I found it hypocritical for the Rome to denounce psychics.

I hope the post I wrote will help others understand the church's views.

tarotbear

MissNine - it has always been my opinion that The Church blows hot and cold depending on who is in power at the time, and also the misunderstanding of the misinformation it spews, which could be something the Bible said in the Old Testament times that has no relevancy in the present - or dare I say - modern world.

Most of what I always understood about the 'Big Bad Fortune Tellers' in the Bible is actually about Necromancy - communicating with the dead. (Bible references here.) The Church is good for lumping things together when it suits it's purposes ... even for things that are not related.

rachelcat

I understand the distinction you are making between receiving information and seeking it. And your interpretation of the rule that the first is ok, and the second is prohibited. It makes sense, and I think it works.

But, I have to take exception to the rule:
"48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone."

I don't agree that divination is a desire for power. It's a desire for information and knowledge. (But, uh, as they say, knowledge is power . . .) And I just don't think a desire for knowledge or having knowledge is disrespectful to God.

And it's insulting to say that attempts to get knowledge in a esoteric or "spiritual" way is a cover for trying to control people -- or events. Knowing or predicting isn't controlling.

This also lumps ALL divination (include PALM READING?) into commerce with spirits (hidden powers), which is hiding ignorance under a mask of righteousness. Or pretending to be knowledgeable about something in order to condemn it. Who's trying to control people here, really?

Just my 2.5 cents.