Witches' flying ointment

Kittysashimi

I stumbled upon this detailed article yesterday night and I have been thinking about trying it out (from a reputable seller) to aid my meditation and to possibly induce astral travelling.
http://sarahannelawless.com/resources/introduction-to-flying-ointments/

Has anyone here used any sort of herbal salve ointment to induce a trance while meditating or to aid in astral travelling? Were the ingredients toxic (like the old recipes) or the non-toxic version? How effective was it? What was your experience like?

UrbanBramble

This is fascinating to me.

I am an herbalist and I also make various "witch's potions". However, I've never made one using "poisonous" ingredients (many herbalists don't classify plants this way, instead they are considered to be more directly medicinal vs. nutritive - you take them in smaller doses, in this case extremely small or not at all). Mine tend to aid in the energetics of spiritual play and include things like rose or hawthorn to open up the heart, etc. If I want to be in an altered state I take an herb internally, directly. An example would be passionflower.

Because of this I disagree with her that non - poisonous blends don't work. Lots of aromatic herbs, essential oils, and stimulants / relaxants can be blended into a formula to bring on a desired effect. I use yarrow all the time for grounding, protection, and connecting to the anscestors, for example. In addition, many people immediately feel the effects of things like flower essences, which can also be used in ritual.

My teacher uses henbane for clients in severe debilitating pain. It is so potent that he comes to their house and administers the dose himself - he would never give someone a tincture bottle of henbane to have around and trust them to get the dose right themselves. I would be nervous about using something like that topically and then accidentally touching my mouth or nose and ingesting it indirectly. Water hemlock is so potent people can have a reaction just by handling the plant.

Having said that, I would LOVE to learn from a teacher that knows how to use these more potent plants in a witchy way, and I would love to be able to mix potions with things like mandrake in them with confidence. I would NEVER try to do this without learning directly from someone whom I trusted and that I knew had years of experience. I wouldn't trust the book or the internet or a peer that was playing around with stuff to teach me. It does have an appeal, especially in inducing more ecstatic or altered states. It just seems tricky and I would want to do it correctly or not at all.

In the meantime I am perfectly happy to build my ritual and trance state using other technology and other herbs.

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts?

I stumbled upon this detailed article yesterday night and I have been thinking about trying it out (from a reputable seller) to aid my meditation and to possibly induce astral travelling.

Has anyone here used any sort of herbal salve ointment to induce a trance while meditating or to aid in astral travelling? Were the ingredients toxic (like the old recipes) or the non-toxic version? How effective was it? What was your experience like?

Kittysashimi

This is fascinating to me.

I am an herbalist and I also make various "witch's potions". However, I've never made one using "poisonous" ingredients (many herbalists don't classify plants this way, instead they are considered to be more directly medicinal vs. nutritive - you take them in smaller doses, in this case extremely small or not at all). Mine tend to aid in the energetics of spiritual play and include things like rose or hawthorn to open up the heart, etc. If I want to be in an altered state I take an herb internally, directly. An example would be passionflower.

Because of this I disagree with her that non - poisonous blends don't work. Lots of aromatic herbs, essential oils, and stimulants / relaxants can be blended into a formula to bring on a desired effect. I use yarrow all the time for grounding, protection, and connecting to the anscestors, for example. In addition, many people immediately feel the effects of things like flower essences, which can also be used in ritual.

My teacher uses henbane for clients in severe debilitating pain. It is so potent that he comes to their house and administers the dose himself - he would never give someone a tincture bottle of henbane to have around and trust them to get the dose right themselves. I would be nervous about using something like that topically and then accidentally touching my mouth or nose and ingesting it indirectly. Water hemlock is so potent people can have a reaction just by handling the plant.

Having said that, I would LOVE to learn from a teacher that knows how to use these more potent plants in a witchy way, and I would love to be able to mix potions with things like mandrake in them with confidence. I would NEVER try to do this without learning directly from someone whom I trusted and that I knew had years of experience. I wouldn't trust the book or the internet or a peer that was playing around with stuff to teach me. It does have an appeal, especially in inducing more ecstatic or altered states. It just seems tricky and I would want to do it correctly or not at all.

In the meantime I am perfectly happy to build my ritual and trance state using other technology and other herbs.

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts?

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts! I actually have a bottle of organic passionflower pills lying around that I never used because I had no idea what to do with them. I didn't know it could be used in that way. You are right, there are other definitely much safer herbs out there that could aid me in getting into a deep meditative state. I will try them for the meantime, but I am still curious as to what effects the more potent flying ointment can induce. The flying ointments that sarah (author of the article) makes are very interesting and it seems like she is pretty reputable for being experienced in making good and safe (although toxic) flying ointments. She also has a mandrake based flying ointment in her shop. http://black-arts-foundry.myshopify.com/collections/ointments/products/mandrake-flying-ointment

ravenest

Please make sure you know about yourself and the contraindications of any ingredients.

I have experience . In some cases it is difficult to tell ... the line between psychoactive and poison reaction is undefined, so best to keep away from that line (its a problem of perception with many and can lead to substance abuse ... that is, not using a substance to 'get into' something, but to 'get out of it').

So the example I will give here is way away from that line; aloe vera gel.

I attended an intro to alchemy workshop and we put aloe vera gel on our third eye and did a group meditiation. It was pretty good, relaxing and 'mystically interesting' ( it relates to the Moon).

It also depends where on your body you put it.

UrbanBramble

Passionflower isn't psychoactive. It's used for pain relief, especially menstural cramps (relieves spasm), for insomnia in people that can't sleep because their brain keeps "chattering" at them, and as a nervine for people who are easily overwhelmed by groups of people. It's safe as a tea but it doesn't taste very good. Most people take it in tincture form. I warn people away from taking the pill form of anything, at least in the United States, because supplements aren't regulated and there's no way of knowing exactly what's in it. Also because I'm into developing a relationship with a whole plant. I use it for trance states because I'm pretty sensitive to it and a few drops of a tincture will zone me out pretty quickly but I think most people aren't as sensitive as me. It definitely doesn't qualify as poisonious and if you look at the labels of good "sleepytime" tea blends it will sometimes be included.

BUT having said that I also think yes, please do be careful in general when trying anything new. No need to be afraid of commonly used plants though, just know your source and do your homework. And recognize that if you are on certain pharmaceuticals you need to ask an expert before proceeding.

The aloe vera thing is really neat! I didn't realize it aligned with the moon.

You can also just practice sitting and meditating with a plant, or putting a plant on an altar. The energy of a plant will aid you in whatever practice you are pursuing. I actually prefer this to using the plant directly in most cases, it's much more subtle and lends to more refined magic making.

Please make sure you know about yourself and the contraindications of any ingredients.

I have experience . In some cases it is difficult to tell ... the line between psychoactive and poison reaction is undefined, so best to keep away from that line (its a problem of perception with many and can lead to substance abuse ... that is, not using a substance to 'get into' something, but to 'get out of it').

So the example I will give here is way away from that line; aloe vera gel.

I attended an intro to alchemy workshop and we put aloe vera gel on our third eye and did a group meditiation. It was pretty good, relaxing and 'mystically interesting' ( it relates to the Moon).

It also depends where on your body you put it.

ravenest

Do you ever grow any of the plants you use ?

I find Biodynamics especially suitable for these type of plants (ones that will have a magical or medicinal use) as it incorporates a wide influences of Lunar, planetary and cosmic forces.

http://www.biodynamics.in/Rhythm.htm

Richard

As UrbanBramble explained, passionflower in not psychoactive. It is considered to have mild sedative effects, and it is included in some sleep aids, which also may contain things like chamomile, valerian, catnip, and melatonin.

The most amazing herb I know of is aloe. I keep an aloe plant in my kitchen window for emergencies. Maybe I'll try smearing some aloe juice onto my third eye.

Kittysashimi

Sorry I should have clarified. It is really hard for me to meditate because my mind keeps racing with random thoughts and I cannot seem to stop thinking so anything that would slow down my mind would help me tremendously. The idea of meditating with a plant sounds promising as well as the aloe vera gel on the third eye. I should just look around for an aloe vera plant, I've always loved it! My grandma used to grow them.

I tried something today that actually did help me to meditate for much longer. It calmed my mind and my body felt so relaxed. I stole some of my cat's organic catnip (human grade) and smoked it. My cat was not very happy with me and I certainly do not plan to smoke every single time I want to meditate but it felt good that I was able to clear my mind and meditate. There was barely any intrusive thoughts popping up in my head. I even felt the area around my third eye chakra pulsating while I was meditating.

BodhiSeed

A blend of catnip and lemon balm tea might help to calm you if you'd rather not smoke anything. Catnip has the opposite effect on humans as it does on cats. :D

ravenest

As UrbanBramble explained, passionflower in not psychoactive. It is considered to have mild sedative effects, and it is included in some sleep aids, which also may contain things like chamomile, valerian, catnip, and melatonin.

The most amazing herb I know of is aloe. I keep an aloe plant in my kitchen window for emergencies. Maybe I'll try smearing some aloe juice onto my third eye.

My caution on psycho actives and poisons was due to what was written in the linked article, and was really addressed to anyone who reads that. I wasnt refering to passionflower. :) A mild psychoactive 'starter' is blue lotus soaked in alcohol (an Egyptian favourite) ... it also has other effects (and aloe vera might be used in conjunction with that too).

I'll whack this in here as some may not know; with a bad burn, dont just put the juice / gel on, cut a slab and put the whole piece on and bandage it in place. It will all absorb into the skin, except for the 'fibre' which will make a very thin, plastic type, transparent covering ... exactly like the plastic skin we used to use at the hospital I worked at ... over the burn .... (you cant remove it once its on, its stuck there ) and eventually that will be absorbed too as the skin seals itself. It works remarkably well.\

I have had amazing success with yarrow as well , sealing cuts that needed many stitches. ... Pitury is another ... helped relieve kidney stone pain when morphine didnt !

http://rbedrosian.com/Ethnob/Johnston-Cleland_Pituri-Duboisia.pdf

particularly good for cramping pain and 'womens problems'.

and corkwood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duboisia

Make sure you have a quiet environment and lie down and relax when you put aloe on your ajna ... (first effect is VERY cooling).

I'm not going to recommend the aboriginal flying ointment ... my friend tells me that at the bottom of 'Eagle Cliffs' there are a few skeletons that have been there for a loooong time. :eek: apparently some took it literally :bugeyed: