Working with Kuan Yin

MareSaturni

Hello everyone,

I have a question: do you think it's okay to work with Kuan Yin spiritually even if you are not a Buddhist or Taoist?

I'm a pagan but I follow no tradition in special. Although I believe all Deities are but different faces of one Divine, I don't usually like going arround 'borrowing' Gods & Goddesses from other cultures left and right, as I don't feel comfortable doing so.

Anyway... recently Compassion and the need to develop it, both towards myself as towards others, has become very present in my life, like a subtle message that gets repeated over and over again. The name of Kuan Yin has been in my mind for weeks now... but I'm unsure on how/if to proceed.

Does anyone here have experience with Kuan Yin and any spiritual works with Her?
Do you think it's okay to include Her in a pagan practice?

Thank you in advance!

HOLMES

hi

all I can think of to give you some insight is the book by Doreen virtue

archangels and ascended masters book

in the book she describes each ascended master, and how she saw them psychically and at the end of the book included some basic invocations (which I see as prayers for you are calling them into your life to assist you ) and a further index of what ascended masters can help.

since I recommending the book I will go look for it and come back to see what she says about her in the book.

"also known as quan yin, kannon, kanin"

helps with clairovoyance, compassion, femine grace, beautfy and power.
helps with love, giving and receiving,
money
musical abilities and singing in particular
protection ,, especially for women
spiritual enlightment and gifts.

in the book ascension connecting with the immortal master and beings of light, she is listed under Buddhist and Taoist masters which gives a brief history of her(only one page, )

at the end of her book where she does her invocation, she says you can replace god with your favourite ascended master. (after all not everyone agrees with the term god, or ideal , hence you have your Buddha, allah, etc)

so both Doreen virtue, and susan teach from what I understand that everyone can work with any diety, ascended masters , angel regardless of their background, and spiritual belief.
-------------

it is my own personal belief that yes you can work kuan yin with your pagan path,(wiccan? for there is faery wicca and other paths out there )

perhaps for me it started with the idea that you can channel any spiritual loving diet,, kuan yin, jesus, prophets, etc.
which was then validated in my beliefs by the works of Doreen virtue and susan shumsky, and the one or two books I read by Elizabeth prophet

I realize we are from two different paths as I am don't consider myself a pagan, and you live in brazil and I am an ojbwe indian Canadian.
yet it is because we live in the 2016 and due to technology that religious, racial lines are being blurred erased spiritually.

this is especially true In the children of the current world ,example in a reading two years ago,, a young woman asked me if it was ok to do alters to odin, or was it zeus . ? the main thing is yes I think so especially as people work on their past lives and feel the strong conection to Egypt, Greece, Asian cultures that they have to reconnect to their spiritual beliefs like they carrying on where they left of perhaps.

I hope this helps you, I know I didn't give you a pratical pointof view,, I know I did call in kuan yin a little over my spiritual development, oh and she is on a card of one of Doreen virtue oracles cards.

MareSaturni

Holmes, thank you SO much for your response!

archangels and ascended masters book

[...]

so both Doreen virtue, and susan teach from what I understand that everyone can work with any diety, ascended masters , angel regardless of their background, and spiritual belief.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I will look into it. I have only heard of Ascended Masters, never really read much into it although it's a belief extremely popular here in Brazil! I had no idea Kwan Yin was considered an Ascended Master, I will have to read more about it.

it is my own personal belief that yes you can work kuan yin with your pagan path,(wiccan? for there is faery wicca and other paths out there )

I do not consider myself a Wiccan, although I have learnt a LOT from it. I am more of a Pagan in the sense I see nature and the universe as manifestations of the divine and its cycles as spiritually meaningful.

I realize we are from two different paths as I am don't consider myself a pagan, and you live in brazil and I am an ojbwe indian Canadian.
yet it is because we live in the 2016 and due to technology that religious, racial lines are being blurred erased spiritually.

I had never thought about it this way!
But you are right, we do belong to a generation that is challenging past boundaries in many levels, including the spiritual ones.

I hope this helps you, I know I didn't give you a pratical pointof view,, I know I did call in kuan yin a little over my spiritual development, oh and she is on a card of one of Doreen virtue oracles cards.

It helped me a lot, you have no idea. I am very grateful for all the information you shared and for sharing your experience. :)

Tigerangel

From my personal point of view yes it is ok to work with with any God/Goddess or Deity in any of their forms, I have found that some gods and goddesses share similar associations and beliefs even though they can be known as a variety of different names in different religions.
As you said they are all part of the masculine and feminine divine that live inside each one us no matter what spiritual path we follow.

As for my personal experience with Quan Yin I received her guidance through a shamanic journey which is my spiritual path, I followed her instructions given to me and I have found her to very gentle and compassionate to work with and she helped me alot to get where I am right now.

I had another shamanic journey just last week to ask what spiritual teacher I need to be working with at the moment and I meet Kali and as you probably know her energy is not gentle although in my journey she was loving and caring and just danced all around me and told me that she is my spiritual teacher at the moment, so I have been doing my daily mantra to her to get to know her energy and tonight I will be changing my alter to honour her and also making a wrist mala to wear and also starting a journal specifically for any work I do with Kali's energy.

So even though I was Baptisted as a Christian, I have never been religious and my children are Roman Catholics I have never forced them to believe in any structured religion and working with a Hindu Goddess was the last thing I expected lol.

If you getting a knowing/guidance to work with Quan Yins energy then it's ok to follow that guidance and trust in her to give you the direction you need, and if organised/structured religions have a problem with that then that's their problem to deal with not yours.

So yeah I believe it's ok for you to work with her, she's calling to you for a reason.

Audelia

As someone who practices Magnified Healing, I have had many, many personal experiences with Kuan Yin. I identify as a pagan, and she has been incredibly welcoming. She is complete compassion and is open to anyone who is suffering or trying to be of service for the greater good. She is very approachable. I find that one of the best ways to invite in her presence is to speak to her directly from the heart or recite her mantra: Om Mani Padme Hum.

She is an incredibly powerful and loving goddess and she has helped me so much. I have nothing but love and respect for her.

Another one of my favourite ways to connect with her is through using the Kuan Yin oracle cards by Amanda Fairchild. It's a beautiful deck and I always feel her presence quite strongly when I work with it :)

CharlotteK

This statue of Kwan Yin reminds me of both the Empress and Emperor in some tarot cards.

Attachments

• guanyin.jpg
    guanyin.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 169

Tuilirose

Thank you for writing what you did about Kuan Yin Tigerangel, I just moved her statue closer to me on my desk because I think I will be needing compassion during the next week.

celticnoodle

Hello everyone,

I have a question: do you think it's okay to work with Kuan Yin spiritually even if you are not a Buddhist or Taoist?
Of course it is. IMO anyway.

Does anyone here have experience with Kuan Yin and any spiritual works with Her?
Do you think it's okay to include Her in a pagan practice?

Thank you in advance!
I'm not terribly familiar with her--however, I've had a few various spiritual people--shamans and the like, tell me that I am to work with her. One of my shaman teachers gave me a card with her portrait on it and I still have it. She *saw* her with me. *shrugs* I use to set the card up on my altar and then I moved it to a table next to where I sit always. I haven't really worked much with her though, but I feel comforted looking at her picture.

However, reading the title to your thread here, I was intrigued. :) And, what Holmes said to me really has me intrigued!

"also known as quan yin, kannon, kanin"
THIS! This is what has me very intrigued, Holmes and MareSaturni.

Holmes, I saw a television show yesterday about "Marie Kannon"--who is actually "the Blessed Mother" but made to look like "Kanin/Kannon"--for "The Hidden Christians" in Japan, I think it was---or China perhaps. I never realized that Kanin/Kannon was Quan Yin.

This intrigues me so much, as I am very connected to the Blessed Mother. I pray to her all the time. Always have.
helps with clairovoyance, compassion, femine grace, beautfy and power.
helps with love, giving and receiving,
money
musical abilities and singing in particular
protection ,, especially for women
spiritual enlightment and gifts.
Yes, this is what I was told too about Kuan Yin.

in the book ascension connecting with the immortal master and beings of light, she is listed under Buddhist and Taoist masters which gives a brief history of her(only one page, )

at the end of her book where she does her invocation, she says you can replace god with your favourite ascended master. (after all not everyone agrees with the term god, or ideal , hence you have your Buddha, allah, etc)

-------------

perhaps for me it started with the idea that you can channel any spiritual loving diet,, kuan yin, jesus, prophets, etc.
which was then validated in my beliefs by the works of Doreen virtue and susan shumsky, and the one or two books I read by Elizabeth prophet

this is especially true In the children of the current world ,example in a reading two years ago,, a young woman asked me if it was ok to do alters to odin, or was it zeus . ? the main thing is yes I think so especially as people work on their past lives and feel the strong conection to Egypt, Greece, Asian cultures that they have to reconnect to their spiritual beliefs like they carrying on where they left of perhaps.

And, though MareSaturni, I do not know much about Kuan Yin, I do know a lot on the B.M. - and if she and Kuan Yin are one and the same and, even if they are not---I know it doesn't make any difference what faith you are or how you practice. I am sure also that this is true for any deity, any God/Goddess, etc. As long as you do so with respect, I think.
Funny, this subject and information was posted now. I really needed this information now too. Thank you, Holmes for your information and thank you also, MareSaturni for starting this thread too!

I hope as you work with her (if you so choose to do), you'll share with us your thoughts on her.

Audelia, thank you also for your post. I'll try to do a meditation soon to contact her using the Mantra you provided here. :)

BodhiSeed

It is generally accepted that Kuan Yin (Guan Yin, etc.) originated as the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara from Mahayana Buddhism. He was often portrayed in a way that made his gender undefinable (such as the statue that CharlotteK posted). In East Asia, particularly China and Japan, this bodhisattva eventually was portrayed as a female. :)

The following came from an old issue of "The Mindfulness Bell" (Fall 1998). These are excerpts of a talk given by Thich Nhat Hanh:

"Bodhisattvas are awakened beings. We also have our nature of awakening, no less than they, but we have to train ourselves. One way is to practice invoking the names of four great bodhisattvas - Avalokiteshvara (Regarder of the Cries of the World), Manjushri (Great Understanding), Samantabhadra (Universal Goodness), and Kshitigarbha (Earth Store)... It is not important whether they were historic figures, born in such and such a year or in such and such a place. The key is to realize their qualities within ourselves."

"We invoke your name, Avalokiteshvara. We aspire to learn your way of listening in order to help relieve the suffering in the world. You know how to listen in order to understand. We invoke your name in order to practice listening with all our attention and openheartedness. We will sit and listen without any prejudice. We will sit and listen without judging or reacting. We will sit and listen in order to understand. We will sit and listen so attentively that we will be able to hear what the other person is saying and also what is being left unsaid. We know that just by listening deeply we already alleviate a great deal of pain and suffering in the other person."