the Nightmare of choosing the first deck..

DamePoplar

Hi all,

I am new to Tarot, and I am studying it with great joy but I now want to choose a deck with which I can learn in depth and with which I can really relate to.
And I am overwhelemed by all those decks...
I already have a Visconti-Sforza that I don't use, and a RWS with which I am learning the basics. But I want something that I will really like.
I find myself unable to choose!! It seems I like many of them but none of them is perfect, and when I love the artwork, like the Tarot of the Sidhe, I wonder if I'll be able to really work with them...and now I am looking at the Anna K, some of the cards amaze me and others disturb me deeply....
I love the the Old Path but the minors are quite boring...

Have you ever had a similar experience when you started? what can we do in this situation?

KMilliron

Not really but then again I'm a really decisive person.

GryffinSong

Yes, I have that problem all the time, although I'm long past my first deck. I found for a first deck that the Morgan Greer was a good choice for me. It has RWS-inspired imagery, but I like the artwork so much more, and the people seem so much more approachable. And I'm right there with you on the Anna K. I want to like it, but there are some cards that I can't get on with no matter how hard I try. I've never bought it for that reason.

Good luck!!!

Flaxen

I came to the conclusion that I'm not a one-deck woman. :D

I have too many interests and like variety too much to ever have just one deck for use exclusively.

So my advice (from one Surrey girl to another) is don't choose...get them all. })

Morwenna

Been there! :D My second deck was the deck for a long time; then I bought another, and another... I have a handful of decks that I use most of the time, but there are times when one of the others is just the ticket. And even after 30 or so decks, there is really no "one" deck; it all depends on my mood. I think you'll find that many of the hard-core collectors feel the same way; they may have one or more favorites, but none are perfect all the time.

GryffinSong

Yep, I'm a multiple deck gal too. Even when I was just beginning I pretty quickly had the Morgan Greer, RWS and Hanson Roberts. Within a few years I'd added the Voyager and a few others. And this was back in the day, when you didn't have the internet accessibility and had to find decks at local bookstores. ;)

Cerulean

Deck by deck, slowly I return...whose on first...

Yes.

I was continually taking one deck to compare with another.

So I carry one and have a book and notepad and comparison...once I a
ready, I will return to one deck.

Which has not happened for eleven years.

I am a bad, bad girl.

But I did study my decks quite a bit. If I keep a focus and take notes, I learn better.

KMilliron

I have four decks, but my Necronomicon is definitely *the* deck for me. Saw it wanted it read reviews got it.

cardlady22

I like my decks to "introduce" me to concepts that I haven't looked at before. One of my favorite exercises was trying to assign a deck to each month based on the holidays that occur within each one. Of course, I already had more than a dozen by then. :grin:

Maybe it would be better for you to choose your 4 most favorites- for each season.

DamePoplar

Flaxen, I'd happily follow your advice if...well..if I could
I know there is no perfect deck and I plan on getting several but I just want one for now with which to work on to get me really started