Does Tarot ever get used by a "good guy/gal" in a movie?

SunriseDesire

exorcist: the beginning. the doctor uses them. She keeps pulling the devil, tower and death. she does end up possessed. she was a nice character up until then though lol

Mellifluous

I'd forgotten Mallory Keaton used the tarot on an episode of Family Ties. :joke:

(Also TV, not a movie. Season 7, Episode 4: Beyond Therapy)

JSNYC

The absolute best representation of the Tarot in a movie, in my opinion, is The People Under the Stairs. For people that know how to read Tarot cards, the entire movie is explained using Tarot cards in the intro to the movie, including a very insightful explanation of The Fool card.

The entire movie could be interpreted as a metaphor for the human psyche. The basement (of "the house") representing the conscious mind (notice what is playing on the TV), and the rest of the house the subconscious (what is really going on underneath). And Alice... Also notice that the "outside" is generally represented as The Sun shining in through a window throughout the movie. Additionally, "fool" (the nickname for the main character) never again appears outside (outdoors) in the sunlight after entering "the house".

Rather excellent movie. I believe the writer of that movie actually understands the meaning of these cards. :)

Deana

In the movie Things You Can Tell Just By Looking at Her, Calista Flockhart gives a Tarot reading to Glenn Close. It's very well depicted.

Sulis

JSNYC said:
The absolute best representation of the Tarot in a movie, in my opinion, is The People Under the Stairs. For people that know how to read Tarot cards, the entire movie is explained using Tarot cards in the intro to the movie, including a very insightful explanation of The Fool card.

The entire movie could be interpreted as a metaphor for the human psyche. The basement (of "the house") representing the conscious mind (notice what is playing on the TV), and the rest of the house the subconscious (what is really going on underneath). And Alice... Also notice that the "outside" is generally represented as The Sun shining in through a window throughout the movie. Additionally, "fool" (the nickname for the main character) never again appears outside (outdoors) in the sunlight after entering "the house".

Rather excellent movie. I believe the writer of that movie actually understands the meaning of these cards. :)

Excellent movie and I never noticed the tarot connection but then I probably watched this about 15 years ago so I wouldn't have made the connection anyway. I can see it now you've mentioned it though and it's made me want to watch this again. It's a really good movie too. Thanks JSNYC :).

Elven

I have just completed directing, producing and writing a short film which uses the Tarot to depict the life contract of a characted called Alice-Rose. The trailer is up on YouTube and shows 3 cards. You can see the trailer if you search for The Choices of Alice-Rose.

thanks for the link to the tarot movie site as well. thats great.

Cheers
Elven

gregory

The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus. And not negative at all, as I recall. OK we saw the Hanged Man a lot, but still.

Red Violin is wonderful and VERY tarot - and the People under the Stairs - I am now ordering it from Play.com ! Thanks JSNYC adn Sulis !

TV - there is the wonderful episode of Father Ted; Not good, though. Not good at all :D

Sulis

gregory said:
Red Violin is wonderful and VERY tarot - and the People under the Stairs - I am now ordering it from Play.com ! Thanks JSNYC adn Sulis !
It's quite scary in parts and is full on, edge of the seat type horror too.. Wes Craven at his best - good stuff :).

gregory

Sulis said:
It's quite scary in parts and is full on, edge of the seat type horror too.. Wes Craven at his best - good stuff :).
Thanks for the warning. One to watch when he is out, then ! (he gets much :bugeyed: :eek: er than I do !)

Carla

I just ordered The Red Violin. :) By the way, we just watched 'Tombstone' last night, and right before a couple of the Earp brothers gets shot, one of their wives pulls three cards--Tower, Death and Devil.