Death and the Rose

Sulis

I understand the white rose on the Death card to signify new life...
Death clears away the old with his scythe but he brings with him a banner bearing the gift of new life.

I think that red and white roses are also alchemical symbols as Helvetica said in the thread she's linked to.
In 'Pictures from the heart, a tarot dictionary', Sandra Thomson says 'The white rose represents the lunar 'philosophical tincture' and the red rose the solar 'metallic tincture''.

Sulis xx

tmgrl2

One of my favorite fairy tales that I used to read to the children....was not just Snow White but the one of Snow White and Rose Red....

It's long...but I like the idea that each of the children stood for the color of a rose, one red , one white, each different in nature, but each working together....of course, the bear at the end is the handsome prince.

I also tend to use alchemical references...which Helvetica has summarized so nicely...especially black, white, red...although there are other color stages to explore....but having these as a handy internal reference is wonderful

terri

Thanks for linking the old thread, Helvetica...I was on my way to do that when I saw that you did....