What should I learn first?

Ayram

Hello -

I'm new to this board and am loaded with questions! I won't put them all down at one time or place (oops - read on - it sure seems like I did!), but what I'd like to start with is: can anyone suggest a good place to get started, in terms of learning about Tarot/the cards?

I have the Universal Waite deck - bought it in '96 or '97. Read some books back then and did some readings on self, then didn't get into it again until recently.

I read a little about the history of Tarot, and look up info on cards when I draw them, but I don't know how on Earth I'm ever going to remember what each of the cards mean! It probably wouldn't be too hard to learn the major arcana (not to say it wouldn't be a challenge) but add the minors to them and it's sooooo overwhelming! Also, what drives me nuts is how there are a gazillion cards that overlap each other in meaning, e.g. ones that mean change. Why so many?! Positive change, and negative change, I can understand. But there seem to be so many more.

Here's another thing that gets to me: if one draws "bad" cards (the tower, the devil, death - though most say the death card isn't bad - the moon, etc. etc.), how come no one just says "yup, it's bad." ?? I mean ARE there any bad cards in the deck? I don't want to be negative, but all this "it's all good" stuff is a little hard to believe, because sometimes life simply isn't "all good." Wasn't there a point in time/history when certain cards really did mean "watch out!"? I'm being a wet blanket, huh? Sometimes I feel like people are just saying certain cards might mean something thing positive when it clearly doesn't seem positive...and I don't feel like that's very honest. Granted, I'm new to Tarot and am basically talking out of my arse. Maybe there's nothing negative in Tarot and I'm just assuming there is. But if that's true, why not make all the cards rosey and happy?

Anyway...thanks for listening. Please let me know if there are patterns or categories which will help make sense in my brain, re. structure/learning the cards. E.g. study all the cards that mean change, or all the cards which mean recklessness or good fortune, etc....or should I start with the major arcana and move to the minor from there...or learn about numerology before studying the minors, etc. ?? Is there a book which goes into this type of learning?

Thanks very much for your time and wisdom -
Ayram

Rogan

Your Interpretation...

Hey Again...
Ive been journalling - I didn't think I would, but Ive already catalogued separate pages for each card and written MY personal interpretations for each... From what I think Im working out, "Bad Cards" like "The Tower" and "The Devil" that you mentioned all come down to your interpretation...

For Example, no matter how bad the revelations that are revealed with "The Tower" - And if people are going to experience changes "suddenly and out of the blue" they CAN be changes for the better!

I think The Devil, too, in the right place, can be giving someone total permission to let their hair down and let loose for a bit!

Just my thoughts - You and I, being the newies that we are - I thought you might wanna hear what I think Im discovering

Stay cool,
Rogan.

contradiction

Rogan, good job explaning what you did.
Ayram, Slow down, take a deep breath, (let it out lol). All good questions, and they all have answers, but one thing at a time. To start with, read thru your book, get a general idea of what the cards mean. The book is a suggested meaning, so once you get an idea you will want to put the book away. Some people read cards, using only the book meanings, if this works for you fine. But, most readers, go by intuition, by this I mean we have a general idea what each card means, but allow for a change in the meaning depending on how it relates to the other cards in the spread. Yes there are bad cards, and good cards, sometimes the bad cards, can mean something good, and the good cards, could be bad. I know this is confusing but it will become more clear as you learn. Let me give you an example, of what I mean. I am going to make up a four card spread, and give you my interp. of it. I am even making up the cards I "pulled".

The question is about a relationship

1. Hanged Man
2. Devil
3. tower
4. 10/pentacles

1.The Hanged Man tells me that there is a choice to make, you are at a crossroad, which way you choose will determine how things work out.
2.the Devil, is saying that there is something holding you back, keeping you from making that decision.
3. The tower is saying that there will soon be a major shake up, and change in your life
4. In the end you will make the right decision.

summary;
In the past there have been some things happen to you, that have brought you to this place of indecision(devil). But, you must now face these things that are haunting you(hanged man). Once you face these things, and deal with them, you will then be free to make the right decision(tower,hanged- man) and allow happiness into your life(tower). Once you make this decision, the relationship in question, will happen. And you will be better for it to happen, and because of it. (10/p)

I hope this helps. Remember first you need to get a basic idea of what the cards mean, and what they mean to you. Each person has a personal view of each card, this comes with time. I have been reading for almost 20 years, and I am still learning, and evolving in my view of the card meanings. If you have any more question, just post them, or feel free to pm me.

Julien

Bad cards

Hi there,

So, I just wanted to comment on the "bad cards".... I don't know the answer to the historical question, though I bet that sometimes some people see danger in the cards and will say "watch out", even today (come to think of it, I recently did that to Mingbop here on the forum). But it doesn't take The Moon, The Devil, or the Tower to do that -- The Emperor poorly aspected (if you're not working with reversals having negative meanings around it, or if it shows up reversed) can be a fairly nasty card if it refers to a person who is tyrranical in their leadership (for example, a mentor, or a boss...). I'd say, "watch out" then. But I might not with the Tower -- if everything else is positive, the change that's coming might be jolting and difficult in some ways, but it can also be a really good thing (actually, I'm of the opinion that after the shock of it, the changes the Tower brings are almost always good). Like, say, it shows up with an Ace of Cups and The Lovers card... Well, falling suddenly in love isn't usually such a bad thing, you know? But it sure can be shocking, jolting, and even uncomfortable in its way.

I think that some cards get a bad rep. There's a great thread somewhere on this forum about the Devil. I don't like seeing him turn up most of the time, but I think sometimes he is a call to really let go. And, Death, well, he's my buddy -- my teacher card, according to Mary Greer's work, and I've found that his presence in a reading marks some new adventure for me, something that will change the way I think about my life's journey. So I'm not afraid of him, nor do I worry if, on the rare occaision that I'm reading for someone else, he shows up. It just depends upon where he shows up, and what the other cards have to say.

So, no, I don't think there are "bad cards" -- I do think that there are negative things with all the cards, and some cards are about things that can become very negative very fast (like the Devil -- sometimes we do really need to let go, but if you let go completely for too long, well, that's not a good thing. And sometimes he's warning that affection, or some positive emotion, is becoming enslaving -- so you see, he needs to be read carefully). But it all depends upon where they show up in the spread, what the question was, what the meaning of the position in the spread is, and what else is in that spread.

That's my take anyway... Julien

Bosorka

Ayram said:
Also, what drives me nuts is how there are a gazillion cards that overlap each other in meaning, e.g. ones that mean change. Why so many?! Positive change, and negative change, I can understand. But there seem to be so many more.

Hi Ayram!

Don't worry about so much meanings of the cards. When I started to learn tarot, every card had absolutelly different meaning. When I've read for some time - still not good enough- I thought all the cards have the same meaning. What really helped me than was taking out all the cards with "same" meaning and trying to find out differencies between them. They really are there. Just it will take some time to find out why change in Tower is not the change in Wheel of fortune and how important will be change with Death. It's just like when you're learning foreign language and you'll find two words which have in your language same meaning. After some time talking that foreign language you'll find that small differencies which you sometimes can't name, but you feel.
Just be patient
Bosorka

seeker1984

look at it objectively

Your ability to divine from the cards (or just interpret the cards) comes from how you relate to the symbolism.

The answer to your question is to realize that there is equal amounts of good and bad in every situation. Often times when something is viewed as negative it can be the result of a selfish perspective on the situation. In my life, the purpose of Tarot is to heighten my awareness of self and the world around me. Discovering negativity also habilitates the discovery of positivity.

There's no such thing as a bad card. Cards show you self. Each card is a different dimension of the human existence. Each one of those cards, all the archetypes, currently exist in your life in some form or another. The spreads and interpretations help you to discover them, or help others to discover them and apply them to the current situation. Cards, by nature, can't be good or bad. They're just cards...ink on paper. The divinity is within your own psychic ability. You make something good or bad, not the other way around.

Amandajane

Ayram you sound exactly like I did just a week ago.I found a great site which is Joan Bunnings..Learn the Tarot which has become invaluable to me.I picked up the cards the other day and went through the Major Arcana and told the Fool's Journey out loud and to my surprise it made sense!!

Another thought is I know that the majority of people like to begin with the Rider-Waite Deck but maybe a change of deck might be in order......but then again I am always trying to find an excuse to buy another!!

job

Hello. Newbie here!

A good place to start? Well, when you're ready it will appear. Kinda like magic!

The_Star

start here.....

Ayram said:
Hello -

I'm new to this board and am loaded with questions! I won't put them all down at one time or place (oops - read on - it sure seems like I did!), but what I'd like to start with is: can anyone suggest a good place to get started, in terms of learning about Tarot/the cards?

I have the Universal Waite deck - bought it in '96 or '97. Ayram

Esoteric societies have the beginning tarot student actually reproduce the Major Arcana cards. You trace the card image on a piece of paper and then hand color each card (using the original color scheme). This method impresses the symbolism into the mind of the beginning student. This is a 'tried and true' powerful method of delving into the tarot.