Getting my first Oracle deck today!!

Raistlin

I am off to the shop to get me first Oracle deck, I am excited beyond belief! I will post as soon as I have them in my grubby paws.

hunter

What did you get?

Aulruna

Did you have a particukar one in mind??

Curious what you bought!

Raistlin

Apologies, I have had internet issues.

I bought Sonia Choquette's Ask your Guides.

And I used them in the reading yesterday and they complimented a very strong message from the original spread done with RWS.
I am not aesthetically drawn to them as much as I am to a few other decks but in the end they gave me the best feel.

I still need to do a search on here for comments and posts about this deck.

Jyscal

Hi Raistlin.
They look like very interesting cards. Im not sure if this will be of any help to you, but i was able to find these two threads here on Aeclectic for you to have a look at if you like. You can find the first one here and the other one here the second one looks to be quite recent, so perhaps you and priestess can share some ideas.
Hope you have fun learning with your cards and don't for get to let us know how its going. Keep well

hunter

I've seen some of the Sonia Choquette decks and books. I almost bought one of her decks then got scared. It was Soul lessons and Soul Purpose. I read something in the book with the same title, I feared might be on a card, and then I feared...I don't know what. I'm so fragile to any shame/blame from a card.

I can skim a book and take what I need from it, but require so much more from a card. I need to really sit down with her books before risking using a deck. I liked a lot of what I saw. I just need to proceed slowly with her stuff.

I have some really severe trauma based issues that do not respond well to traditional therapies for some very good reasons that are not my fault, but part of being a survivor is to not deal well with confrontation and blame, of any type...so some really good general advice can be all wrong for me and I can get all freaked out by a book or card, or worksheet, never mind person.

So removed from my freaky situation, my first impression was good of her stuff in GENERAL.

I'm so glad you were linked to some threads! :) Have fun! The right oracle can really be dessert for a tarot reading.

Yellow_Munky

Raistlin said:
Apologies, I have had internet issues.

I bought Sonia Choquette's Ask your Guides.

And I used them in the reading yesterday and they complimented a very strong message from the original spread done with RWS.
I am not aesthetically drawn to them as much as I am to a few other decks but in the end they gave me the best feel.

I still need to do a search on here for comments and posts about this deck.

Ohhhhhh! I love that deck! It works like magic for me! I also bought the Ask you Guides book. It is not exactly a companion to the deck but is still helpful to me.

So enjoy reading with that deck cuz I did! :D

lightbug

hunter said:
I've seen some of the Sonia Choquette decks and books. I almost bought one of her decks then got scared. It was Soul lessons and Soul Purpose. I read something in the book with the same title, I feared might be on a card, and then I feared...I don't know what. I'm so fragile to any shame/blame from a card.

I can skim a book and take what I need from it, but require so much more from a card. I need to really sit down with her books before risking using a deck. I liked a lot of what I saw. I just need to proceed slowly with her stuff.

I have some really severe trauma based issues that do not respond well to traditional therapies for some very good reasons that are not my fault, but part of being a survivor is to not deal well with confrontation and blame, of any type...so some really good general advice can be all wrong for me and I can get all freaked out by a book or card, or worksheet, never mind person.

So removed from my freaky situation, my first impression was good of her stuff in GENERAL.

I'm so glad you were linked to some threads! :) Have fun! The right oracle can really be dessert for a tarot reading.

This is meant with no desire to seem dense or disrespectful. Earnestly, am trying to understand :) but I noted in another thread you talked about being drawn to "bad news" cards in tarot and that messages that seem to scare some of us aren't scary to you -- (paraphrasing) -- so trying to understand here, what is unnerving about Sonia Chocquette?

If anything I find her a little "all is positive" ... did I miss something?

hunter

lightbug said:
in another thread you talked about being drawn to "bad news" cards in tarot and that messages that seem to scare some of us aren't scary to you -- (paraphrasing) -- so trying to understand here, what is unnerving about Sonia Chocquette? If anything I find her a little "all is positive" ... did I miss something?

There is a difference between a card describing or showing a difficult moment, compared to cards/books that tell you the "right" way to deal with something.

I only skimmed the books and intend to further investigate them. I saw so much of value in them. Seriously, I'm impressed with the author, so far and don't yet really know all of what she is about. I only skimmed.

But when drawing cards, some of us have to be careful what we use for decks for different reasons. For me, I was taught that any type of disagreement was dangerous. When someone "corrects" me in any fashion I have an entire body reaction of fear before I can even evaluate if they are correct. I have to work through an emotional and physical reaction before I can actually deal with what is truly happening in the present.

Cards are so much more triggering than a book if they are instructional in any way. It's like a person saying to you, "Look, today you need to stop.... and do...!"

Tarot cards don't really tell you what to do. And if an interpretation of the cards is upsetting you can get a variety of opposing interpretations to calm you. Often oracles are a bit more to the point, with less options for interpretation. They often give advice.

I have to be careful who I invite to give me advice, especially when I'm at my most fragile, and I often turn to my cards in a fragile moment. I won't use any sonjia cards till I know them better, and know if I can trust them in my weakest moments. If her advice pertains to my very unique situation.

We all have different weak moments. I have my triggers. I'm very inconsistent about what triggers me. It's very confusing for those who observe me. I'm crazy, foolhardy brave about things that terrify others and react with fear to "normal" things.

I have a unique set of copying skills, learned through surviving my particular set of circumstances. So does everyone else here. Some things we cope with so easily that we cannot comprehend how others struggle with them.

What comforts one person can throw another for a loop. Sometimes we find what decks work for us through trial and error and luck, never really understanding why, and sometimes we are aware of what to look for and avoid in decks.

I just read a few lines in the book, that stopped me cold and I said "woah!, further investigation needed!" before I include that deck into any self-soothing activities.

Aulruna

I have all the Choquette decks and work with them a lot - especially as advice cards or when designing spreads for other decks - they make perfect position cards.

Soul Lessons & Soul Purpose are maybe the most intense cards of Choquette's and I find them also less versatile than Ask Your Guides or Trust Your Vibes for example.

This is because they make up a complete system of "shattering negative patterns". Yes, that is a phrase from the companion book. The book uses very strong language (not as in swearing, of course). Not much room for compromise.

Soul Lessons companion book said:
Patterns are powerful when the results that are replicated are sound, good and positive. It only becomes a problem when the process does not lead to a desirable outcome. Like a computer program running with an error, you will continue to create the same negative effects until you fix the glitch. To correct your energetic mistakes, you must dismantle the old paradigm and replace it with an improved one.

If you can't embrace that concept, this book is not for you.

However, the cards convey it in a more gentle manner, with the bright images and positive messages Choquette is known for. So I think the cards might still work for soemeone even if the book concept does not.