Heirophant and organized crime?

Salena

Being religious is no guarantee that a person will (1) not associate with criminals or (2) not be a criminal themselves (as charges of child molestation in the Catholic have shown us all too well—crime perpetrated, criminals not only associated with but protected). And, once again, organized criminals are not beyond being religious. Mafia members routinely baptized their kids, went to church and took communion, etc. And priests and churches associated with them, including taking money from them.

So, this person could be religious and associated with criminals rather than being, himself, a member of organized crime. But remember that the Hierophant doesn't have to stand for a religious leader at all. Any guardian of "tradition" can be a hierophant.

I'm a bit confused now. Isn't the whole point of religion is taking steps to betterment? So perhaps this guy was involved in church but still involved in criminal activities. Or maybe he was using religion as a way to wash away his sins. Which brings me back to my first thought.

Thirteen

Betterment?

I'm a bit confused now. Isn't the whole point of religion is taking steps to betterment?
Um, depends on the religion, doesn't it? There have been religions where the whole point was simply to keep the sky god happy so he'd send down rain and make the crops grow. People sacrificed little kids or cut out the hearts of their enemies to appease said god and get those crops. You're assuming that religion is the ethics of a society, the aim to be "spiritual" and such. But it doesn't have to be. Religion means worshiping something divine through ritual. I mean, how many people do you know who joined a religion to better themselves? Or who pray to god to be a better person? Most I know pray to god to heal a sick relative, or help them find a job or keep them and their loved ones safe.

In addition, the definition of "betterment" is a little fuzzy. There are devoutly religious countries that are putting homosexuals to death asserting that being gay goes against "betterment" to the point where it's better to murder them. They would say that's "betterment"...we would not. There are men who will kill women in their families who don't uphold certain traditions of wearing certain outfits, or acting in a submissive and obedient manner. They call these "honor" killings and they would probably argue that the women were making the family unspiritual, unethical—that killing them makes things better.

Which is all to say, people have a way of defining "betterment" to suit themselves rather than to genuinely better themselves. Especially when "betterment" relates to religion and traditions—many of which are followed to maintain a social comfort zone rather than to actually better anyone.

Finally, remember what I said about the Hierophant. This is the belief that traditions and ritual create a spiritual connection which, in turn, they believe betters people. This means that you don't have to actually do good things or be ethical. The rituals are magic, and they will transform you. Not all Hierophants think that way. But your Hierophant might.

One of the point of a particular religion might be betterment. But it doesn't have to be, and even if it is, it's rarely the "whole" point. Usually a lot more of the "whole point" is having god's ear (by doing what god wants you to do), and so having supernatural powers. I.e. god hears your prayers and answers them in the form of supernatural help, thus solving your problem as nothing else could have. Yes?

Grizabella

I haven't read the entire thread top to bottom but I do agree that the Heirophant could be the Mafia godfather. But it could mean any gang boss. There are lots of gangs these days. If this was near the 8 of Swords in a reading, though, I'd think more along the lines of one of the other gangs whose "shot-caller" is in prison and presiding over his gang from there.

Salena

Um, depends on the religion, doesn't it? There have been religions where the whole point was simply to keep the sky god happy so he'd send down rain and make the crops grow. People sacrificed little kids or cut out the hearts of their enemies to appease said god and get those crops. You're assuming that religion is the ethics of a society, the aim to be "spiritual" and such. But it doesn't have to be. Religion means worshiping something divine through ritual. I mean, how many people do you know who joined a religion to better themselves? Or who pray to god to be a better person? Most I know pray to god to heal a sick relative, or help them find a job or keep them and their loved ones safe.

In addition, the definition of "betterment" is a little fuzzy. There are devoutly religious countries that are putting homosexuals to death asserting that being gay goes against "betterment" to the point where it's better to murder them. They would say that's "betterment"...we would not. There are men who will kill women in their families who don't uphold certain traditions of wearing certain outfits, or acting in a submissive and obedient manner. They call these "honor" killings and they would probably argue that the women were making the family unspiritual, unethical—that killing them makes things better.

Which is all to say, people have a way of defining "betterment" to suit themselves rather than to genuinely better themselves. Especially when "betterment" relates to religion and traditions—many of which are followed to maintain a social comfort zone rather than to actually better anyone.

Finally, remember what I said about the Hierophant. This is the belief that traditions and ritual create a spiritual connection which, in turn, they believe betters people. This means that you don't have to actually do good things or be ethical. The rituals are magic, and they will transform you. Not all Hierophants think that way. But your Hierophant might.

One of the point of a particular religion might be betterment. But it doesn't have to be, and even if it is, it's rarely the "whole" point. Usually a lot more of the "whole point" is having god's ear (by doing what god wants you to do), and so having supernatural powers. I.e. god hears your prayers and answers them in the form of supernatural help, thus solving your problem as nothing else could have. Yes?

I see what you're saying by betterment I meant preserving your soul for the next life. So most people call on God when they need help with something? I'm not very religious but I don't think religion is dumb. I say do what makes you happy. I believe in 'karma' but I don't set out with that intention.

Salena

I haven't read the entire thread top to bottom but I do agree that the Heirophant could be the Mafia godfather. But it could mean any gang boss. There are lots of gangs these days. If this was near the 8 of Swords in a reading, though, I'd think more along the lines of one of the other gangs whose "shot-caller" is in prison and presiding over his gang from there.

The reading was about the victim life. He disapeared afer telling his gf what was about to happen. The so called 'Boss' is already convicted based on tons of circumstantial evidence.(8 of swords)

Thirteen

I see what you're saying by betterment I meant preserving your soul for the next life.
Well, there are religions that say if you are of their faith, you'll go to heaven, and it doesn't matter if you're not a very good person. If you are not of their faith, you won't go to heaven and it doesn't matter how good a person you are, or what good deeds you do.

To those of this faith, they are preserving their souls simply by following this religion. Nothing else matters in that regard. Likewise, there are some religions that say whatever you've done in your past, it can be washed clean with baptism or confession, and you start fresh, as if you never committed any crimes. And, again, to heaven you go if you've gone through this rite (presumably with a contrite heart and the intent to sin no more).

Which is to say, there's no reason why a person could not be religious and yet committing crimes, even awful crimes. Their religion may make them believe their soul is preserved simply by performing certain rites and rituals.

Salena

Well, there are religions that say if you are of their faith, you'll go to heaven, and it doesn't matter if you're not a very good person. If you are not of their faith, you won't go to heaven and it doesn't matter how good a person you are, or what good deeds you do.

To those of this faith, they are preserving their souls simply by following this religion. Nothing else matters in that regard. Likewise, there are some religions that say whatever you've done in your past, it can be washed clean with baptism or confession, and you start fresh, as if you never committed any crimes. And, again, to heaven you go if you've gone through this rite (presumably with a contrite heart and the intent to sin no more).

Which is to say, there's no reason why a person could not be religious and yet committing crimes, even awful crimes. Their religion may make them believe their soul is preserved simply by performing certain rites and rituals.

Oh I see but that seems very counteractive.

LeahG

I see maybe I should include the cards. I got the 8 of swords as centre.
The sun as crossing card and the Heirophant as basis.
I'm not asking for an interpretation. I didn't get any indicator that this person was religious. So I'm unsure what the Heirophant means.

hmmm, interesting. The Heirophant as the basis. I usually see the 'basis' as what the reading is about on a deeper level.

Could well be organised crime - it's still an organisation and a very traditional one at that. Been around for as long as religious organisations I suspect.

nisaba

Could well be organised crime - it's still an organisation and a very traditional one at that. Been around for as long as religious organisations I suspect.

And Tradition is what the Hierophant is about!

RavenDarkWind

This thread's getting a bit reddity. Maybe we should stop focusing on criticizing religion in general and start focusing on the possible crime going on, clerical in nature or not.