New Mary-el Card

FearfulSymmetry

truelighth said:
Great new card again! So much fire and power in there. I keep on being amazed by your art.

Thank you Truelight. Fire and power, yes. Another aspect of the 5s would be a quintessence.

From Dictionary.com:
quin·tes·sence
1. the pure and concentrated essence of a substance.
2. the most perfect embodiment of something.
3. (in ancient and medieval philosophy) the fifth essence or element, ether, supposed to be the constituent matter of the heavenly bodies, the others being air, fire, earth, and water.

Marie

Bat Chicken

OMG - Marie!! It is stunning....!
I am trying to figure out the legs.... :)

FearfulSymmetry

Bat Chicken said:
OMG - Marie!! It is stunning....!
I am trying to figure out the legs.... :)

Thanks!
LOL on the legs, I knew that would be confusing. When I was working on this it became clear it represented a lot of mythological creatures, one being Sleipnir the horse Odin rides on who has 8 legs.

There was also Chiron the centaur wounded healer, that is his symbol over the heart. I think this has a big part in the meaning of this card.

The mythological unicorn which was a symbol of passive strength (as opposed to what the Fiery Lion would be).

Pegasus who's name means literally spring or well.

Marie

Bat Chicken

Ah - I see! Brilliant!:)
Rarely are the minors so profound as yours are! I am so enjoying the progress of this deck....

FearfulSymmetry

Bat Chicken said:
Ah - I see! Brilliant!:)
Rarely are the minors so profound as yours are! I am so enjoying the progress of this deck....

Well, I do appreciate people hanging in there with me, I know some of these symbols and themes must seem strange when compared to a more traditional tarot but I think when the project comes together as a whole it will make a lot more sense. And having full documentation won't hurt either.

I think Pamela Colman Smith was absolutely brilliant and the last thing I would want to do is invalidate her work on the minors (even if in my own mind) but it is still a new science compared to the iconography of the major arcana and there is more to be added and learned from. To me they are every bit as important as the major arcana and deserve the same close scrutiny.

Marie

Sidhe-Ra

FearfulSymmetry said:
I think Pamela Colman Smith was absolutely brilliant and the last thing I would want to do is invalidate her work on the minors (even if in my own mind) but it is still a new science compared to the iconography of the major arcana and there is more to be added and learned from. To me they are every bit as important as the major arcana and deserve the same close scrutiny.

Marie

Oh, yes I agree!

Are you doing prints of these? Unicorn is one of my power animals, as well as having a close connection with Odin, (as soon as I saw the eight legs I thought- ah, Sleipnir!)

Beautiful, beautiful work, as always! xxx

Blessings,

Em xx

baba-prague

Beautiful card. I got confused by the legs too, but I love your explanation.

Vesper

Just added this one to my wishlist. This deck is already stunning, and will be phenomenal when it's completed.

FearfulSymmetry

Sidhe-Ra said:
Oh, yes I agree!

Are you doing prints of these? Unicorn is one of my power animals, as well as having a close connection with Odin, (as soon as I saw the eight legs I thought- ah, Sleipnir!)

Beautiful, beautiful work, as always! xxx

Blessings,

Em xx

I love Odin!!!
No, I'm not doing prints yet just because I don't have time or a decent scanner right now. I probably will when I'm done.

Marie