New Mary-el Card

baba-prague

It's beautiful Marie. Please can you say a bit more about why and how you chose this symbolism? I think it's one of my favourites so far.

firemaiden

FABULOUS, Mary.OMG I love the live cloak of snowy owls. It's sort of chilly and warm, fluffy and harsh all at the same time. I hadn't seen the five of wands before either. It's fantastic. I love the energy of the lion hurtling forward in a ball of fire.

Startarot

OMG!!! I have just looked at this deck and I have to say that I must have been under a rock for not having seen this deck before!! I wait with anticipation to be able to hold your deck in my hands and make it mine. YOu have taken my breath away!
Blessings,
Star

truelighth

The new card is lovely! Very nice. I am also curious to the symbology.

And, I also have a question. I looked at all the fives and I suddenly realized that the Hierophant card is not the one I have in my limited edition deck. Did you change it and if so, why did you change it? I really loved the old hierophant. It totally connected with me.

Bat Chicken

I echo Firemaiden's words... Amazing....!

Sar

I adore the Mary El, and of course I was too late for the majors limited. Keep up the good work!

FearfulSymmetry

Hi! Thanks everyone, glad you like it!
I’m happy to discuss the symbolism.
The main premise I had for the 5s was for them to be the temple of the element. The 4s established a body and physical limitations (The Emperor) and the 5s are to fill that body with a soul and to mediate between body and soul (Hierophant)

I also wanted them to be the quintessence of the element. I first thought I would like to do the 4 cherubim, the animals you usually see in the 4 corners of XXI The World, for example, but because of a series of dreams and other inspirations I decided to make them representations of the Tetragrammaton which is the Hebrew 4 letter name of God. If you aren’t familiar with it, it is very similar to the 4 elements, it represents the kabbalistic 4 worlds and describes how god ‘spoke’ the universe into being. So the series of 5s is an act of creation beginning with the Lion that is the wild spark of life , going into the deep well and void of the 4 of Cups then into the 5 of Swords which is the Soul (note the Vau on her chest) and into the 5 of Disks which is the living, earthly Human. The 5 of Disks is Adam and the 5 of Swords is Eve his mate.

I drew inspiration from several goddesses / mythical women for this card. There is Athena who was a big influence. Her winged helmet has been transformed into the owls, which was always considered her companion, or even her. The wings that come down over her chest are her Aegis, it was a skin or shield type thing that granted the person she gave it to her protection, so it symbolizes the protection of the Gods, like an umbrella.

Lilith was also associated with Owls as far back as ancient Mesopotamia. Lilith is the counterpart of Eve and this is why she really interested me, because this card is the quintessence of Swords and Air it is subject to being very polarized between dark and light, like the two columns in the High Priestess. As I worked on this card I found it to be extremely noble and full of high ideals and incredible power, but it is also subject to extreme lows, dissapointments, hardships, etc.

The owl itself is a night creature. We often think of it as being very spiritual, knowing, wise, all seeing but it also has a long history of an ill omen as well. I thought the snowy owl suited Air and Swords because of its stark black and white coloring and also because it was in high contrast to the dark serpents of the 5 of Disks in color, texture, etc. I am glad some of you noticed the polarity in textures!!!

The owls are like spiritual protection, ancestors, spirits and coupled with the Aegis the protection of the Gods even when things are going really bad, which they might be in this card.

The baby is obviously the child of the 5 of Swords and the 5 of Disks and I clothed her in an earthly green to match the fig leaf from the 5 of Disks and to symbolize that it is an earthly living thing, something good that comes of whatever situation is difficult in the 5 of Swords.

I plan on putting more information on the 5s as a set on the website soon if you are interested or feel free to ask me any more questions here, I love talking about it.

Marie

FearfulSymmetry

truelighth said:
And, I also have a question. I looked at all the fives and I suddenly realized that the Hierophant card is not the one I have in my limited edition deck. Did you change it and if so, why did you change it? I really loved the old hierophant. It totally connected with me.

Yes, this is actually the original Hierophant I painted. I felt it wasn't right so painted the version you have. I never could get beyond the pull from the first one, however. I finally realized I could change the few things I didn't like and it fit perfectly. I'm sorry, it sucks to do that but this is still a work in progress, but at least you already have the version you like!

Marie

Strange2

Another wonderful card, Marie! As each new card is revealed, they make me gasp in amazement.

On the 5 of Swords, I noticed with interest the other hand that she is grasping. Is this the hand of the father of the child (Adam, the 5 of Disks)?