DVDomancy

Mycroft

This is a variant on bibliomancy where DVDs are used instead of books. I tried to come up with a snappy name for it, like; videomancy, cineomancy or cellulomancy, but none of them seemed right, and the last one sounds like a disease. Some places do give videomancy as the definition of divination by films, but that seems a little too uninspiring to me, so if you can come up with a better one let me know. At this point I would like to show you this picture of my DVD collection,

Disney_dvd_collection_thumb_550x413_26987.jpg

I'd like to show you that picture of my DVD collection, but unfortunately I can't, because my collection looks nothing like that. My collection looks more like this, but not as tidy, not in boxes, and would probably be more correctly named as Mycroft's DVD Shambles,

DVD_Rack_Project_019.jpg

Anyway I have recently put them all on spindles, each of which holds 100 discs, and to give you an idea of the actual number of discs, I'm going to use the mathematical notation, qUiTe.a* LOt. I have acquired these discs in various ways, some coming from the relatives of people who are passed on, and quite a few from a friend who provides me with damaged but still readable ones from a DVD rental warehouse. I'm also one of those people that can be found rooting about in the 'All DVDs £1' bargain bin in supermarkets.

The method I'm going to use for DVDomancy is to ask each querent to provide a question they would like answering and two 6-digit numbers, which can be arrived at in any way you wish, and can be anything from 000001 to 999999. As an example;

The querent wants to know if her love-life will improve over the next 12 months and provides the two 6-digit numbers, 654321 and 123456. The first number will be used to find a DVD and the second a particular minute in the film. I'll show the working when I provide the reading along with a synopsis of what happens in that minute, and my interpretation of how it applies to your question. You may have a different interpretation of how the minute of screen time relates to your query of course, so we can then argue about that at our leisure.

I'm looking for three sitters at a time, and it may take me a day or so to provide a reading, as there is a bit of work involved obviously.

Please obtain your popcorn and cold drinks in the foyer area before entering the auditorium ....

*************** LIST OF SITTERS ***************
READINGS ARE PRESENTLY
CLOSED

01 - Goddessofthehunter - Reading Posted - FB Received

02 - katieb - Reading Posted - FB Received

03 - starchaser1277 - Reading Posted - FB Received

04 - Smiling - Reading Posted - FB Received

05 - Phoenix11 - Reading Posted - FB Received

06 - samantha - Reading Posted - FB Received

07 - pumpkins - Reading Posted - FB Received

08 - lilac04 - Reading Posted - FB Received

09 - alice_in_wonderland - Reading Posted - FB Received

10 - danieljuk - Reading Posted - FB Received

11 - safari - Reading Posted - FB Received

12 - celestial - Reading Posted - FB Received

13 - Babalon Jones - Reading Posted - FB Received

14 - alice_in_wonderland - Reading Posted - FB Received

15 - EyeAmEye - Reading Posted - FB Received

GotH

I'm in! :)

I'll be back in a sec with my numbers...

Okay I'm back with my question and #s.

Tell me how my physical fitness will develop over the next 6 months please.

369963 936969

Looking fwd to this one! :D

katieb

Sounds like fun!

I'd like to know what you see happening in my love life (in a relationship)

516121 1762412

starchaser1277

Can I sit?
041765 and 052596

How will my love life progress? I'm in a relationship.
Thank you!

Mycroft

Okay, the first three sitters are;

1 Goddessofthehunter

2 katieb

3 starchaser1277

Thanks girls, I'll try and get these readings posted tomorrow and then open sittings again.

Mycroft

Goddessofthehunter

Goddessofthehunter - "Tell me how my physical fitness will develop over the next 6 months please." Numbers - 369963 and 936969.

Repeated subtraction of the total number of discs from your first six digits gave 945, and repeated subtraction of the film's length from your second six digits gave 59. Therefore we are looking at what happens in the 59th minute of DVD No 945 which was;

The Prestige (2006)
www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/‎
Directed by Christopher Nolan. With Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Caine. The rivalry between two magicians becomes more exacerbated by their attempt to perform the ultimate illusion.

At the beginning, Michael Caine's character assures Hugh Jackman that everything will continue to be fine, as long as he follows what Caine tells him and doesn't allow his drunken doppelganger to ruin things. Jackman's double then stirs from behind some cases and Caine ejects him from the room. Scarlett Johansson cuddles up to Jackman and tells him again that they now have everything they want, the new illusion is a great success and they can be happy together. Jackman's character though completely rejects all of this, he cares nothing for his present success, and it becomes apparent that he cares nothing for her either. All he cares about is discovering the method behind his rival's illusion, he regards Johansson, Caine and everyone else as merely pawns in his game to discover the other magician's secret.

02_GH.png

This scene is in fact the one where it first becomes apparent that Jackman's character is beginning to succumb to the grip of a dangerous obsession, which will ultimately destroy him. Johansson and Caine both give him multiple warning, and Caine finally pleads with him to stop, but all to no avail. The fact that Jackman's double is an alcoholic seems to foreshadow the addictive obsession that will grip Jackman himself, and there is a heavy sense of self-destruction apparent, because at the start of the 59th minute Caine is assuring him everything will be fine - Jackman has in fact achieved great success and there is a beautiful intelligent woman in his arms who it seems, at least at this point in the film, genuinely cares for him.

My reading of this with regard to your question would boil down to the notion that ...everything will be fine as long as you don't become obsessed with it. Physical exercise can like anything else become an addiction which can take over someone's life to an unhealthy degree. Keeping a balanced view of things and accepting that success is relative, and that the journey is more important than the destination, can help to ensure that you do not become a slave to any particular regime, and continue to enjoy partaking of physical fitness rather than becoming fixated with it or feeling obligated and pressurised into doing it.

What would you personal interpretation be Goddess?

Smiling

What fun, and I love your sense of humor!

May I sit, if you do another round?

My numbers would be 781263, and 012812

and my question would be: what do I need to know about our finances this year so that we may remain financially stable?

GotH

Feedback

First of all, bravo on creating another fun and interesting divination thread. I'm happy I was able to sit for you. :)

Okay.. I'm going to say right off the back this is totally correct. First, a brief background to why I would ask this question. I have always been a physically active person since day one. I grew up with a bunch of athletic older brothers so it's no mistake that I took on some of the active roads they did. All through school I was involved in group sports and even outside of school, we'd have family game days. :) No, I'm not talking about sitting around playing video games, this was when playing games meant grabbing a football or a basketball and hitting the yard for a fun, yet competitive physical game. Yes, there was enough of us in the neighborhood including friends to make two full teams. So of course as I progressed into adulthood, things wouldn't change much.

Now that I'm a busy woman I don't have a lot of time to continue group sports as much as I'd like. There are some really fun co-ed softball teams I'd like to take part in but I just can't commit to them right now due to other things in my life that require a lot of attention. Since I can't just shut that competitive part of me down, I have been considering doing some fitness competitions since I can create my own hours with the training. Doing this will still be fun and active hard work which makes me happy.

The rivalry between two magicians becomes more exacerbated by their attempt to perform the ultimate illusion- everything will be fine as long as you don't become obsessed with it.

The above is key...

Now in relation to your reading, funny how this movie came up for me as these magicians perform on stage trying to give the best performance to the audience. The 2 magicians here I feel describe me and those who would be the other competitors. Now what I feel it's telling me is, if I get too obsessed with the process of the journey which is very likely as it's about preparing to give the better show on stage, I may lose myself as well as the prize perhaps through injury or maybe something on an emotional level because there was male/female interaction involved. Obsessive behavior is always a possibility when trying to perfect something that cannot ever be perfected so this is telling me to be aware of that. This TOTALLY resonates. It is the truth that those who take part in these competitions often neglect those around them due to a very strict training and diet program so it concerns me that those that I care about would be set aside in a way and of course they would become really frustrated with me. I've seen this happen too. There is a lot that this reading is pointing to and I feel it's telling me to enjoy the process without turning into a monster about it. :)

A total futuristic reflection if I'm not careful I would say. Thank you Mycroft! :)

Mycroft

katieb

katieb - "I'd like to know what you see happening in my love life (in a relationship)" Numbers - 516121 and 1762412.

Repeated subtraction of the total number of discs from your first six digits gave 385, and repeated subtraction of the film's length from your second SEVEN digits gave 92. Therefore we are looking at what happens in the 92nd minute of DVD No 385 which was;

Planet of the Apes (1968)
www.imdb.com/title/tt0063442/‎
Directed by Franklin J. Schaffner. With Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter. An astronaut crew crash lands on a planet in the distant future where intelligent talking apes are the dominant species, and humans are the oppressed and enslaved.

The 9nd minute begins in a cave in the Forbidden Zone where the chief ape Dr. Zaius attempts to disprove that the artifacts found there such as dentures, eyeglasses, and a heart valve are the remnants of a technologically advanced human society pre-dating that of the apes. Despite Taylor's (Heston) identification, examination and analysis of them, Zaius still contends that they are no such thing, until the toy doll that Taylor's 'mate' Nova is playing with suddenly utters human speech.

02_KB.png

The sudden exclamation that the talking doll makes is the final proof that Taylor or 'Bright Eyes' as the apes have named him, needs to convince him to journey on with Nova into the heart of the Forbidden Zone, despite Zaius' prophetic warning that he won't like what he'll find there.

My personal interpretation with regard to your question, is that it is about 'finding your voice' and being able to not only challenge but overturn accepted situations. If there are areas which are regarded as Forbidden Zones then they should be entered and the truths that they contain brought out into the open. The ultimate truth may be unpalatable at first, but it is still preferable to living under the tyrannies of delusion and denial, however well-intentioned the meanings behind them may be.

What would your personal interpretation be KB?