Ontario Psychics Warning

Henry_

Hi there.

I was not sure what subject to call this but hear me out, my purpose of this post is to inform Ontario based psychics so you don't run into my problem.

I am fairly new to psychic fairs. I was due to do my 2nd fair, since my first one was so successful. The name of the 2nd fair I was going to do is called Psychic and Wellness Fair in Paris Ontario at Paris Fairgrounds. The event organizer's name is Christine Ivany and she continues to hold other events including one on June 26 2016 for a craft show and continues to post ads on Kijiji looking for vendors/psychics.

Not only did she cancel the event 13 days before event date but she has not refunded my booth fee. Here is where I would love feedback on.

Because the contract I sent to her only has my signature and not hers I have no legal grounds to sue. I wish someone told me this before attempting any psychic fair. Does anyone else have experience or feedback on typical contracts we sign to secure booths for a psychic fair? Is it standard to have both signatures on the contract? The application I sent in was sent both via email and via postage as per the event organizers request.

I really don't want to go with small claims court, but does anyone have advice on this? I have tried to send multiple emails requesting my money back but she only replied once stating it would be done in a few days yet it has been over a week and no reply.

I hope this post helps others. Perhaps a list might be helpful for Ontario based Psychic Fairs that are reputable.

Thank you for listening, I hope this post helps from others who may consider doing one of her shows/fairs, really frustrating experience.

DownUnderNZer

Is there a recept or cheque stub? Proof of payment.

If done via credit card claim a dispute and/or refund through your bank.

PayPal I would think is similar.

Hi there.

I was not sure what subject to call this but hear me out, my purpose of this post is to inform Ontario based psychics so you don't run into my problem.

I am fairly new to psychic fairs. I was due to do my 2nd fair, since my first one was so successful. The name of the 2nd fair I was going to do is called Psychic and Wellness Fair in Paris Ontario at Paris Fairgrounds. The event organizer's name is Christine Ivany and she continues to hold other events including one on June 26 2016 for a craft show and continues to post ads on Kijiji looking for vendors/psychics.

Not only did she cancel the event 13 days before event date but she has not refunded my booth fee. Here is where I would love feedback on.

Because the contract I sent to her only has my signature and not hers I have no legal grounds to sue. I wish someone told me this before attempting any psychic fair. Does anyone else have experience or feedback on typical contracts we sign to secure booths for a psychic fair? Is it standard to have both signatures on the contract? The application I sent in was sent both via email and via postage as per the event organizers request.

I really don't want to go with small claims court, but does anyone have advice on this? I have tried to send multiple emails requesting my money back but she only replied once stating it would be done in a few days yet it has been over a week and no reply.

I hope this post helps others. Perhaps a list might be helpful for Ontario based Psychic Fairs that are reputable.

Thank you for listening, I hope this post helps from others who may consider doing one of her shows/fairs, really frustrating experience.

Henry_

The method of payment was via bank e-transfer.

DownUnderNZer

That would likely make it harder and will take time.

My sister got about $5,000,000 or it could have been 2 million in her bank account by mistake once and it was only there between 48 to 72 hours. Reversed to the payee and trust me when I say my sister had no hand in it being returned. :D

Probably due to the shock.

So, nothing is impossible as long as you have the right transaction details as well as any numbers or codes that would have been given with that transaction.

The method of payment was via bank e-transfer.

Henry_

Thanks for your response.

I am calling my bank as I type this to see what advice they can offer. I'm just wondering, is this normal for psychic fairs? It's a shame so many horror stories occur in this industry. I have heard from one person who did a psychic fair for the first time and was paying way too high a fee for the show.

At least my fee was only $65.00 which I know seems petty but honestly, out of principle, I should get my money back if the show got cancelled. I think she is counting on people to drop it while she pockets the booth fees.

I plan on holding my own psychic fair and this has been a valuable lesson to ensure when I hold mine to do it in a professional manner including accepting Paypal only, even though I take a hit on fees at least it's secure than e-transfers.

DownUnderNZer

Bad form can exist anywhere and even with Psychic fairs.

There could be a "good and services" consumer protection in place with that transaction - no idea but you never know. It does for credit cards and PayPal.

Try a "fair trading" place as well as a "consumer" if your bank cannot do anything. They also have ways to deal with matters like yours as in a "service" not being provided.

Not sure what it would be in your neck of the woods, but in Australia it is "Fair Trading".

Best of luck! :)

Thanks for your response.

I am calling my bank as I type this to see what advice they can offer. I'm just wondering, is this normal for psychic fairs? It's a shame so many horror stories occur in this industry. I have heard from one person who did a psychic fair for the first time and was paying way too high a fee for the show.

At least my fee was only $65.00 which I know seems petty but honestly, out of principle, I should get my money back if the show got cancelled. I think she is counting on people to drop it while she pockets the booth fees.

I plan on holding my own psychic fair and this has been a valuable lesson to ensure when I hold mine to do it in a professional manner including accepting Paypal only, even though I take a hit on fees at least it's secure than e-transfers.

Henry_

I spoke to my bank and they said they can't do anything except sent them some sort of letter for $16.60 showing the transaction.

From now on for any psychic fair I work I will draft up my own contract for terms of payment which includes a refund date if event is cancelled. I would bet this will scare a lot of event organizers away but it is my only legal course of action.

dannyboy8406

I spoke to my bank and they said they can't do anything except sent them some sort of letter for $16.60 showing the transaction.

From now on for any psychic fair I work I will draft up my own contract for terms of payment which includes a refund date if event is cancelled. I would bet this will scare a lot of event organizers away but it is my only legal course of action.

I've never had experience in this type of thing...but in my job contracting with vendors and speakers and such for conferences....its usually standard practice (at least in my experience) that whoever the contract comes from should have it signed already. She should have signed her contract BEFORE it was sent to you for your signature and 2 copies should have been sent to you with her original signature. One for you to sign keep with your records, and then one for you to sign and return to her to keep.

I do find it a bit odd that she sent her contract to you unsigned in the first place..... do you know if any of the other vendors that signed up are experiencing the same issue? If you can check in with them, maybe a class action type of thing could be done?

Henry_

Yeah I know I guess next time contract should have been signed by her. I didn't think of it at the time.

Unfortunately I have no idea what other vendors applied. Her event was poorly organized. She did have a Facebook page a few vendors asked if they could be a part of it but I have no idea if they paid the fee.

In the contract it does state:

"In the event it is cancelled, the event planner will refund all money ".

She kept making excuses as to why she can't pay me, her daughters wedding, her assistant not doing it, asking me again for my email address to send back my e-transfer.

I do have her home address and phone number.

I may contact the better business bureau if it is not refunded as well as small claims court. Just wish people like her would be more professional. I understand a few days if no refund but it's been over a week with excuses left right and centre and now no reply to my emails.

rwcarter

In the contract it does state:

"In the event it is cancelled, the event planner will refund all money ".
Sorry to hear about your experience. But the above would've caused bells to go off in my head - she didn't state any time frame within which the funds would be returned. So she could return your money in a year and still be within the terms of the contract. (And, yes, I probably would've overlooked her signature not being on the contract.)

Rodney