Why we don't get certain Lenormands...

greatdane

Yes, there are more and more Lenormands coming out. I love Lenormand, I just don't love ALL Lenormand decks.

Reasons I have for NOT getting various decks, even if I think they are lovely or well-done.

1. If an image is changed so it no longer resembles what I think of the card as.
One case in point, I think of the BIRDS, chatter, gossip, talking. If there is only ONE bird, that kind of blows that image for me. Could I still read with it? Well, yes, but it wouldn't flow as easily.

2. BIG playing card inserts or even small playing card inserts. A small symbol in a corner, fine, the whole playing card, deal breaker for me as I want to see the image as much as possible and as I don't read playing cards, just find it a waste of space for me.

3. The size of the actual image. If the card is the FOX, I want to see a FOX front and center, I want that to be the big focus of the card. I don't want to play Where's Waldo? and have to search for the symbol.

4. BIG borders. Yes, I have gotten Lenormands with borders, but I could still plainly see the image and it was center stage. I prefer borderless for the most part or if there is a border, a thin one.

5. Lenormand designers who kind of make it up as they go along, basically making an oracle, not a Lenormand. Why then call it a Lenromand? I have no idea. There are a lot of designers of Lenormand who don't read Lenormand or just started. That's fine with me, as long as they realize there are symbols those of us who like Lenormand decks look for. And adding EXTRA cards, no problem, great. As long as the 36 cards with basic images are there, I'm good with whatever a designer wants to add in addition to them.

6. Mixed media. Again, I have a couple of these, but for the most part, I really think it breaks the cohesiveness of a deck.

The Vintage German, the Mystical, the Bieri, the style is consistent throughout (and yes, I know the Vintage German, Lenormand Oracle and the Samhain Lenormand are all based on the same old images, so this isn't a "new" deck, but still makes my point about cohesiveness). The Flonz Victorian, GREAT example of cohesiveness. A simple, but elegant and detailed image just kind of floats on the card.

Decks that look like too much of a hodge podge, old pix, new pix, drawings, paintings, like the only thing uniting them may be the backs or background color or borders.

OK, these are my reasons for not getting certain decks. What are yours? What do you look for in a Lenormand?

I realize many LOVE the playing card inserts and if a reader reads playing cards too, I GET that is a big plus, it just isn't for me. So I am not saying the things above are bad, they're just not good for me and why I don't get certain decks.

So let's hear it, ATers. What are your deal breakers or deal makers for decks?

GryffinSong

I don't like any of the very simple cards. I want enough going on that I can use it both as a traditional lenormand or an intuitive oracle. I generally hate inserts. The bigger they are the more annoying I find them. And I have to love the art.

Lil Red

Deck that I do not get are the very plain ones or decks that have different image instead of staying to its original image. Than that will leave me all confused as well I am very picky when it comes to the art. If I dislike the art than I will avoid it or if the card stock is big than that is a big no. I try to avoid decks that look likes an oracle though I do make exceptions.

DownUnderNZer

Prefer them small rather than large in size although I love Ciro's deck and plan to work with it at some point. The Blue Owl is still the one that I use 100% whereas the others have become collections really. However, I will make an exception with Ciro's and maybe one other.

Most of the ones I have bought from Chronata will be buried with me and each is stored away, but easy enough to access. I don't want anyone else to appreciate them LESS than me. I think I would use her Tarot Noir deck though only as it is Tarot as well as the Halloween one just for Halloween time. :)

I don't like words written on the Lenormand and the insets have to be small.

I prefer simple and the key symbol has to stand out.

I love the MYSTIQUE deck, but it is too busy and the symbols are not always so obvious.

greatdane

DownUnderNZer

Are you talking about the Mystical Lenormand? It may have different boxes or names in other places, but if it's the Mystical, I understand what you mean. I have just gotten used to tuning out anything else and just seeing the symbols on that deck. The RING was the hardest at first, just because I saw the BIRDS before the RING and thought of it as BIRDS, but now I just focus on the symbol and that's all I really "see". But I DO get what you mean, lots of extra stuff in those cards.

Amanda

I love the size of the Reverie. I want tarot decks to start coming in that size.

Le Fanu

Only one rule really; just the symbol. It bothers me that deck creators are adding symbols to "help" us. I want only the symbol. Don't put the tiny Fox under a tree (maybe "of Life") because it might look like The Tree. Don't put the Ring on a book because it might be The Book. I love clutter in the Victorian drawing room but not on my Lenormands.

One day soon someone will start putting Decans on the cards - 36 is too good a number to resist. Somebody will do it. It doesn't exist yet but I already dislike the idea and will NOT get whichever deck does it.

greatdane

Amanda 04 and Le Fanu

Agree with you both. That is a great size, Amanda, I like Lenormands that are a bit bigger as I don't do GT's so mini cards aren't important to me. Le Fanu, oh yes, there are decks that at first sight, it's is that the Tree, the Fox? Is that the Garden or the Fish because fish are clearly showing in a pond? The Mystical doesn't bother me with the extra items as long as I can clearly see the main one. The RING was the one I thought, WHAT? My definition of the RING isn't a bird stealing it and there were two birds on that card, so yes, I want the symbol there, CLEARLY showing.

Melia

One day soon someone will start putting Decans on the cards - 36 is too good a number to resist. Somebody will do it. It doesn't exist yet but I already dislike the idea and will NOT get whichever deck does it.

It's already done, in a self-print deck somewhere online.