Why we don't get certain Lenormands...

GryffinSong

I have Ciro's lenormand as an iPad app, and there are definitely two sets of men/woman.

DownUnderNZer

Lucky you! :)

I have two sets of them and neither have the extra Man and Woman cards. Mine are real cards not an app.

But I am hoping he will make the extra ones soon and facing in different directions as that would make it PERFECT. :thumbsup:

I have Ciro's lenormand as an iPad app, and there are definitely two sets of men/woman.

Teheuti

5. Playing card to mini size. I don't want my GT to occupy a whole 20-person dining table.
Yes, yes, yes. How could I have left that off my list! Personally, I prefer bridge-size as poker-size is too wide for my table. And it's great to have a couple of minis for travel or small spaces.

BTW, I don't have a problem with people creating new Lenormands - I've bought quite a few. I just rarely find them as enjoyable in the long run as the classic decks.

greatdane

I can SO see the smaller cards much better for the GT

I prefer larger, at least bridge or poker, as I do small spreads, so size isn't an issue and I can just see the images better on my reading table. I can so get why small cards are great for the GT's as laying out 36 cards, well, that requires space even for minis.

I enjoy the tarot-size cards I have for three cards, but you would need a LARGE area to do a GT with them!

Ryver

I don't like a big playing card insert and by now that is enough to move me away from a new deck altogether. I believe I've reached my personal limit on how many I'm willing to own with the whole playing card pictured. Although I do prefer to have the playing card reference, noted discreetly, I would get a deck that excludes it completely if I really liked the look of it.

I will also avoid a deck where the symbols are changed, unrecognizable, or indiscernible from other possible symbols on the same card.

I wouldn't be likely to get a deck where the symbol is small and the card border or background is too excessive. I have a deck I feel fits this category and don't use it.

I don't like poems on my decks either and specifically got the foreign Blaue Eule deck instead of the Blue Owl over that specific difference. I've gotten worded decks for friends though knowing it was something that would suit them.

I think that's about it for me and it probably all can be summed up that I want to easily and quickly recognize the traditional Lenormand symbol on each card.

Edited to add that the size of the deck wouldn't stop me from buying and using it but it might at some point impact which situations I would favor or exclude it. 3 card, 5 card, 9 square, GT, whole table to myself, don't feel like squinting, small area to work on would all be factors.

SunChariot

Although I'm still new to all this, I'd say I like my deck to have the card inserts. Although I haven't yet figured out what to do with them, I figure I will one day and if and when I do I want them there.

I wouldn't buy a deck with lots of writing on it. I saw one like that with ALL the keywords written on each card. Not a deck for me.

I would like to try a simple deck, but of course I would have to like the artwork.

Babs

Tag_jorrit

I love the old, classic decks. What a surprise! LOL!

They are my favored for a few reasons. I like the original art. Not clipped from somewhere else or slick computer art but hand drawn by talented artists who created the images and colored them specifically for the decks. Maybe not Rembrandt quality but the figures aren't twee or out of proportion and the symbols are as they should be.

The representations of the symbols are correct to the oracle. A Tower is not a tourist attraction, not an Eiffel tower nor Big Ben but was a symbol of authority or solitude due to confinement. The Rider is not a lady demurely perched sidesaddle nor a jockey on a racehorse but a messenger who was a professional, essential to business at the period of time when the cards were created.

The symbols are central to the cards so that I don't have to wade through a lot of visual clutter to see them. The colors are subtle and natural and don't assault my eyeballs with bright candy colors. I can look at a GT and quickly see the relationships between the cards. I can't read the German or French verses but they don't annoy me, and the playing card inserts can be useful sometimes.

Gimme the old ones.

I have a couple of the newer ones but I can't read with them and they live in a box.

Izzydunne

Tag Jorrit:

Very well said, and I completely agree.

Lee

The Rider is not a lady demurely perched sidesaddle nor a jockey on a racehorse but a messenger who was a professional, essential to business at the period of time when the cards were created
I like several of the newer decks but I like the old ones too (as you well know, LOL), so I'm sympathetic to your viewpoint in certain respects. However, I must say, on a lot of the older decks, the Rider looks to me like an upper-class gentleman who is riding for recreation, and not at all a professional messenger.

Tag_jorrit

I wasn't alive then, but people conducting business in those days dressed up. They weren't dressed in the equivalent of denim and flannel or a pony express rider; it was expected that, as a business person in a European city, when you went to work you were formally dressed. Informality has only crept into business in the last 40 years or so.