Introvert

gregory

We introverts are fine on public forums we proudly hide behind our laptops :cool5:
YES ! (except mine's a PC.)

Another VERY shy believe it or not (I know, not :D but there are people here who can testify !) introvert would be hermit here. :)

SunChariot

I've been thinking are there more Tarot introverts than extroverts? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going for introverts . I think that the Tarot is ideal for self exploration and growth, being an introvert I don't need to connect with the wider world to look for answers.I don't have to use people for support, role models etc nor do I have to have people as a mirror that I can look in to find myself reflected.I'm INTP-A .....how about you?( forgive me if this topic has been covered before, I'm old and forgetful)
John

I would have to say that I am more of an introvert (and also somewhat old and forgetful, at 60, LOL)

The first 9-10 months or so I read ONLY for myself. I also saw Tarot as an excellent tool for self-discovery and for helping me understand my own life better and make better decisions. And for understanding this thing called life more deeply. I was in love with Tarot for that and had no desire to ever read for others.

It was at the urging of some AT friends that I finally started reading for others. Some ATers at the time begged me to read for them. They had to beg because I had no real desire to at the time.

After I did, I started to grow more people asked for readings, and more and more people telling me I should go professional. Which I also fought for a while. Even though I do love helping people. I really do now. But yes I guess that was my introvert tendencies that it had to be pushed into it.

Not sure but that may also play into my I am only an online reader. Reading in person is not at all my thing. Partially because it does not mesh with my reading style. But then I suppose, HAD reading in person been something I valued and wanted to do, then I would have developed a different reading style.

Babs

SunChariot

According to the Myers-Briggs test, and according to me :) , I am an introvert. It is refreshing to hear from fellow introverts who understand that it is not a negative quality, that it doesn't need to be changed, or worse , that it means I need to "come out of my shell". Can't tell you how many times I've heard that over the years. Fricking annoying.

I like to think it's a positive quality for me. I have always been a bit deep and into trying to understand life as deeply as I can. That has come out in my readings for myself. I LOVE questions on things like what is the nature of destiny and how it works....

Those readings have taught me a lot. But also I think as a person who like to look deeply at things, I think that comes out in helpful ways in my readings as well.

I believe also that that can very much be a misunderstanding when people tell you to come out of your shell. It took me a long time to really get this, but growing up I was told I was weak and not a strong person inside. Because I was not strong in the same way that my mother and sister were.

In time, when their influence was less in my life, I came to really realize that I was just as strong but in a different way. My source of strength just comes from a different place. And I have to be looking inside (in my shell if you will) to connect to that. In some ways I have even surpassed what they could do. Not everyone's strength comes out in the same form or comes from the same place.

Babs

SunChariot

being an introvert I don't need to connect with the wider world to look for answers

ALTHOUGH, Tarot to me IS connecting to wider world to look for answers. To me personally, doing a reading is connecting with the energy of the universe, or life, or the Divine or however you see that...to find life answers. In effect that is what I try to connect to, not the energy of the querent but to the energy of the "wider world". But I still would call myself an introvert.

Babs

prudence

When I took the Myers Briggs test years ago, I was deemed an introvert. I think my 12th house sun sign has a lot to do with this. The odd thing is, I can be so friendly and at ease in a party/crowd situation. I can speak with anyone, from any background, in what I consider a very friendly, genial way. People tend to tell me the most personal and sometimes painful things, even upon a first meeting. It's so strange. I enjoy being friendly with strangers and talking with them, hearing their stories etc. One thing I do notice about myself is that when I have a negative interaction with a stranger, it bothers me for longer than I think is "normal".

But, I do find I need to retreat to my own quiet place to decompress after being very outgoing. I think forums like this one help a lot of us to be extroverts from the safe place we occupy in front of our computers.

Another odd thing, I am very comfortable reading for strangers and of course friends, in real life, face to face situations. I do not like giving or receiving readings on the forum. It just feels like too much. I'm fine with helping someone with a reading they've done for themselves on the forum, but there's something about offering and getting readings online that bothers me. I think I've sat down for one reading exchange, and it only involved giving thorough feedback. Maybe it's just the "homework" aspect of it, like a responsibility that I'd not like to take on. Weird.

bonebeach

I disagree with dividing things up by introvert or extrovert appeal...because it's often done by people who have a very disdainful view of extroverts.

I don't think there is anything about tarot that inherently says introvert, unless you think that all extroverts are kinda dumb. Academia, for example, is not solely or even *mostly* the realm of introverts...because a lot of teachers are actually extroverts. It's entirely possible to be a quiet and nerdy extrovert, because the actual defining feature of introversion vs extroversion is whether being around people is revitalizing or draining. Not every extrovert loves getting down at the club. That's not what it's about.

Especially if you view tarot as a way to connect with the world, spiritually or otherwise, or if you use tarot to explore ideas about other people...or if you just like reading for other people... those are all very extrovert-y type things.

But then again, as you may have guessed, I'm a extrovert (who likes parties and getting down at the club and *also* academia) and on the defensive in this kind of discussion. ;) I also don't particularly like the Meyers Briggs, or at least I don't like how people don't acknowledge the ways in which it's controversial, so, ehhh.

Introvert vs extrovert and tarot, though...every so often we get threads on here about whether or not people find reading for others draining or energizing, and I wonder if that might correlate strongly with introversion or extroversion, as opposed to being more of a spiritual or energy thing (though it could be both, who knows).

peacewing

Judging from how many years I've spent lurking around these forums being too afraid to 'contribute' anything... I'd say I'm way past introvert into the "extreme hermit in the woods" category.

Anyway, I think people can be a little bit of both, just depends on the context and circumstances...

G6

Judging from how many years I've spent lurking around these forums being too afraid to 'contribute' anything... I'd say I'm way past introvert into the "extreme hermit in the woods" category.

Anyway, I think people can be a little bit of both, just depends on the context and circumstances...

Lurking counts. ;-)