Introvert

EmpyreanKnight

I'm what my 92-year-old Dad calls a "usta-was." I still have my old membership card but I haven't been an active member for years, not since I got tired of being the only one in 100 miles and didn't feel like driving that far for meetings - especially not for the "Friday Night Temperance Society," whose motto was "Ridding the world of Demon Rum through the deceptively simple practice of drinking it all." Pack of shameless extroverts anyway . . .

I am smiling so wide right now. You really do meet all kinds of people here. :D

Our impression is that the American chapters (plural!) are very active. So many interests and groups and meetings and activities. That Temperance Society sounds like so much fun. But 100 miles- yeah that is a lot of asphalt.

Our chapter has SIGs too, but I didn't join any. I'm not much of a joiner, but I am part of a work out posse in our gym and a small book club where we discuss very strange lit. Think Mirbeau, Kirino, Procopius, etc. A few friends and that's all. So yeah I'm an introvert too, though I can turn into a very social animal if I have to.

Papa Tango

I'm what my 92-year-old Dad calls a "usta-was." I still have my old membership card but I haven't been an active member for years, not since I got tired of being the only one in 100 miles and didn't feel like driving that far for meetings - especially not for the "Friday Night Temperance Society," whose motto was "Ridding the world of Demon Rum through the deceptively simple practice of drinking it all." Pack of shameless extroverts anyway . . .

Barley, I am also a member of the "rejected society." While it was simply a short trip for me as a teen 45+ years ago to the monthly dinners, I quickly tired of those whose sole purpose there seemed to be impressing others how clever and intellectual they were. It took four meetings before I qualified the local organization as "The Crashing Bore Society." Because of that, I still do not join clubs... :smoker:

Zephyros

There's a difference between someone introverted and introspective. A Tarot reader is probably more introspective than most, since that's part of the package, but they need not necessarily be introverted.

Barleywine

There's a difference between someone introverted and introspective. A Tarot reader is probably more introspective than most, since that's part of the package, but they need not necessarily be introverted.

That's a good point. I did some reading about personality factors, and the key take-away I got was that personality is a product of socialization, it's not an innate quality like temperament. Introversion could be the outcome of failed or flawed socialization, after which self-reliance seems like the best course because social interaction proved unrewarding. So turning inward in an emphatic way could be primarily a response - or defense - mechanism, not a matter of choice.

CrystalSeas

Btw my apologies if my phrasing seemed to imply it, but I make no stereotypes about statisticians. If someone where to ask me the default sex of one, I would answer that it could be either really. It's just that in school here in my country, we were taught that in English, the gender-neutral form of a pronoun usually takes the masculine one. I know I could have used "he/she" or "his/her" instead of the plain "he" or "his", but it would be cumbersome if I were to use them all the time.

English has changed and style guides now suggest that neutral forms (including the neutral plural 'they/their' for singular antecedents) are preferred.

FLizarraga

That's a good point. I did some reading about personality factors, and the key take-away I got was that personality is a product of socialization, it's not an innate quality like temperament. Introversion could be the outcome of failed or flawed socialization, after which self-reliance seems like the best course because social interaction proved unrewarding. So turning inward in an emphatic way could be primarily a response - or defense - mechanism, not a matter of choice.

I think both of these are excellent observations, and as a lifelong INFP (though people are often fooled by my Leo mask, like in Apollonia's case ;)) I can attest that at least some of it is true in my case. However, I think that some people are born with a tendency to introspection, and those people tend more often than not to be introverted. For me that would be the real root of introversion.

Western psychology has a nasty tendency to pathologize traits that Western society deems as undesirable, and introversion is one of them. Let's not forget that, to this day, certain schools still tend to consider homosexuality as a consequence of failed heterosexuality. So I'd say that introspection is in itself an obstacle to Western-style socialization (particularly in the States, where people are pushed to be in "look at me" mode all the time), and not the other way around, or at least not so much.