Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

reall

well we don't have all same quality standards for print and cardstock!^^ ;)))) lolz

trzes

Which is exactly why I would NOT be happy with one person - or indeed many - who have the files going to Printers studio or worse, TGC, and saying they will print for x number of members. The point at TCF is only one person having the printable files. Which is not the case here. And as Solandia has said no to "a printed deck" I think we are indeed back to print it yourself or do without. A local copy shop is IMHO close enough to a self print not to be an issue, but uploading the images to a POD site is something else.

Is that because you fear that the Printer's Studio people might leak the files to some pirates? I admit that I never thought about that possible issue before. My spontanious guess would be that the whole process at Printer's Studio most likely is so fully autmated that hardly anyone ever sees the actual images, except maybe some poor underpaid workers in china who don't know anything about tarot. Or the people who throw the shrinkwrapped decks into a parcel in the end.

gregory

As Solandia said - lack of control. I am done with this one in threads. You have PM which will explain, I think !!

trzes

As Solandia said - lack of control. I am done with this one in threads. You have PM which will explain, I think !!

I do. So this post isn't addressed to you personally but to anyone who still has the energy for further debate. All I want is to come to a conclusion.

In my last post I didn't refer to many people having image files, but to the comparison between POD services and local copy shops only. There seem to be three different issues that should not be mixed up.

1. Who should have access to high resolution image files? The loss of control already happened here by having a dropbox account where every participant in the deck can get access to. That's done.

2. What difference does it make HOW I print my personal copy? The only thing I have come across so far that makes it anyone's business but my own would be if I used a printing service that is known to be at risk leaking the images to third parties. I would of course avoid this.

3. What justification would be there not to allow the participants to (maybe even silently) coordinate their efforts to print their personal copies in a way that is in acordance with point 2? I am curious to learn about the reasons if Solandia doesn't want to allow this joint effort.

I wouldn't feel comfortable to force anybody into something they don't want though. So I suggest that we ask all participants what they do NOT feel comforable about concerning their own images:
1. having a joint print with unlimited availablilty for everyone who wants a copy
2. having a joint print run with a time limit available for everyone who wants a copy
3. having a joint print run with a time limit for ATlers only
4. having a joint print run with a time limit for participants only
5. coordinating private prints at one point for participants only
6. coordinating private prints at one point for participants only, avoiding POD-services
7. allowing private prints done separatly, everybody being responsible for avoiding risk of image leakage themselves

Then, depending on how many people would stay on board, one or more of the possible pathes can be chosen. Everyone who has an issue with one or more particular paths can opt out, so their images won't be touched at all and the card will be replaced by some other image (maybe from earlier ATF collaborative decks). I would even be happy to do that with path 7 for my private copy. But I would need to know.

It is clear that most of the possible pathes would have to be followed outside the context of ATF. This is possible as nobody would be part of it who doesn't want to and everybody still has full copyright for their images. I would rather stay within the context of ATF, but I realize that this might not be possible.

ETA: Most of the ideas have been proposed by others earlier in this thread. Sorry for not quoting them, but didn't find the posts in my hurry.

ETA again: I didn't ask about POD-Services for pathes 1 to 4. I think with more copies being done that can be avoided anyway.

daphne

I do. So this post isn't addressed to you personally but to anyone who still has the energy for further debate. All I want is to come to a conclusion.

In my last post I didn't refer to many people having image files, but to the comparison between POD services and local copy shops only. There seem to be three different issues that should not be mixed up.

1. Who should have access to high resolution image files? The loss of control already happened here by having a dropbox account where every participant in the deck can get access to. That's done.

2. What difference does it make HOW I print my personal copy? The only thing I have come across so far that makes it anyone's business but my own would be if I used a printing service that is known to be at risk leaking the images to third parties. I would of course avoid this.

3. What justification would be there not to allow the participants to (maybe even silently) coordinate their efforts to print their personal copies in a way that is in acordance with point 2? I am curious to learn about the reasons if Solandia doesn't want to allow this joint effort.

I wouldn't feel comfortable to force anybody into something they don't want though. So I suggest that we ask all participants what they do NOT feel comforable about concerning their own images:
1. having a joint print with unlimited availablilty for everyone who wants a copy
2. having a joint print run with a time limit available for everyone who wants a copy
3. having a joint print run with a time limit for ATlers only
4. having a joint print run with a time limit for participants only
5. coordinating private prints at one point for participants only
6. coordinating private prints at one point for participants only, avoiding POD-services
7. allowing private prints done separatly, everybody being responsible for avoiding risk of image leakage themselves

Then, depending on how many people would stay on board, one or more of the possible pathes can be chosen. Everyone who has an issue with one or more particular paths can opt out, so their images won't be touched at all and the card will be replaced by some other image (maybe from earlier ATF collaborative decks). I would even be happy to do that with path 7 for my private copy. But I would need to know.

It is clear that most of the possible pathes would have to be followed outside the context of ATF. This is possible as nobody would be part of it who doesn't want to and everybody still has full copyright for their images. I would rather stay within the context of ATF, but I realize that this might not be possible.

ETA: Most of the ideas have been proposed by others earlier in this thread. Sorry for not quoting them, but didn't find the posts in my hurry.

ETA again: I didn't ask about POD-Services for pathes 1 to 4. I think with more copies being done that can be avoided anyway.

1 to 4 points are of no relevance anymore.

Please read the answer of Solandia here:

"1) Digital only, or;
2) Digital plus print quality images provided only to card creators so they can print their own personal physical copy."

Given this answer, only a "personal physical copy" allowed, this lets space for discussion only of points 5 to 7.
But with strong emphasis on your 7, which is in fact exactly the same as the 2nd option she gave us "Digital plus print quality images provided only to card creators so they can print their own personal physical copy."

gregory

Thank you, daphne. :love:

trzes

1 to 4 points are of no relevance anymore.

Please read the answer of Solandia here:

Of course I did, as my direct answer to Solandia also suggests. May I quote myself:

It is clear that most of the possible pathes would have to be followed outside the context of ATF.

I think it would be worth indeed to at least have answers in the range from 1 to 7. The rest can always later be discussed and planned elsewhere.

gregory

You already know that there are people signed up to this deck who are NOT OK with options 1-4 for this deck. If you want to set up another one, to be printed - as I said to reall - go for it..

daphne

Of course I did, as my direct answer to Solandia also suggests. May I quote myself:

I think it would be worth indeed to at least have answers in the range from 1 to 7. The rest can always later be discussed and planned elsewhere.

We can always have a poll about all these points and a collaborative deck. You can open one yourself if you want. But what would be the point? It is what it is. Under the AT-umbrella there is no collaborative printed deck at this point.

For this specific deck, 5th AT deck, the issue is settled, no matter the votes. We do it here, we will follow the owner terms.

Trzes, I understand your point, I really do. I also would like to have a printed deck. Maybe we can come together in a kickstarter project later on and make one. But not here.

trzes

Yes, it is what it is. I would have liked to know the numbers of people being ok with either of the options though to get an idea if we would still get roughly the same deck if we were heading for an external project.

Nothing urgent though, as long as nobody would pull out of the project for NOT having a printed deck, which means more than a homemade inkjet printout and actually more than a single POD-service-copy. I won't pull out, I just decided.

Let's say, if nobody else would pull out for not getting a printed deck (shout NOW, everybody), then I'll be back with my questions, proposals and possibly a poll early next year once the card making is about to be finished, and shut up in the meantime (if I manage to :D). By then I hope it will also be clear where between option 5 an 7 we can move within ATF.