Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

Marirowana

Daniel, this is not a contest. This is a project for good fun and collaboration. We would like to have on board as many ATs possible. At least 78 if not more, then we make two decks. :)
It does not matter you are not "an artist".
You are here. We are all artists now and I am sure you can make a card.

I copy that! Please, Daniel and everyone, 'artist' or not, join us! The more the merrier! :)

If you don't know how to, you can ask our help.

blue_fusion

I think one of the issues which wasn't discussed is the fact that this new deck will be called an Aeclectic Tarot - the manner in which it would have been distributed would have had a bearing on how Aeclectic (and by extension, Solandia) would have been represented. It's a moot point now. Thankfully Solandia was able to give her own inputs as to how the project should be carried out. It is her site after all.

(Started working on my Star now) :)

blue_fusion

Thank you, Marirowana - my views exactly.

I think for a "commercial" collaborative project you'd need to do it off forum, sort of, reall. There's nothing to stop you.

Actually, I think you can. I mean, a lot of the stuff in this section (Deck Creation) end up as published by the artists themselves or by publishers- heck I've done that a couple of times. :D Having a collaborative deck which would end up as being sold on the market isn't so different from a solo deck creation project having the same end goal. I just don't think it would be right to call it an Aeclectic Tarot. And, I guess, more importantly, things such as distribution, profits, etc. should be made clear early on. :)

Flames

It is a lot of work, but I don't think the people organizing it should get any money from the artwork of others. I participate in the team because I like the project, and it's a nice experience to organize an artistic project, and my English writing improves every day :D It is rewarding enough without a physical reward. I wouldn't even do it if there was money involved, you know, pressure...

As one of the organizers, I didn't mind the challenges associated with getting a printed deck. I particularly liked the idea of trying something that wasn't done before and working towards seeing whether that could really happen. Sure, it definitely IS a lot of work. Like Marirowana and Daphne, money never factored into the equation...was simply not on my radar. I have absolutely no interest in that aspect. I signed up as an organizer because I LOVE to organize and more importantly, this is a creative project and the opportunity to work together with others to bring something to fruition and manifestation, is very satisfying and fulfilling to me. I think it's also a beautiful thing to be able to encourage one another in a positive way. In any case, Solandia has spoken ;)...A Digital Deck it IS...and as I like to say, "Happy Creating!" :) That's what really matters.

reall

@ gregory and blue fusion of course!^^ I have DA acc as well and there we have few good Tarot communities as well as many famous tarot artists!^^ (Eric Dune/Tarot Illuminati, Stephanie Pui-Mun Law /ShadowScapes Tarot , and my faw Kendra Hurteau n Katrina Hill/Under the Roses Lenormand /cant wait to get her new Tarot deck!^^;)))) as well as few on going Tarot project and collaborations!^^ ;))))

@Flames main reason I signed in was hope Ill learn something new and interesting in process creating and publishing deck!^^ guess *publishing and printing* part is meant to be learned later!^^ lolz ;))))

Cenozoic

2) Digital plus print quality images provided only to card creators so they can print their own personal physical copy.

This sounds like a great option for card creators, since they'll be able to print a personal copy of the deck using their home printer, instead of going through the publisher route, where they'll have to pay, then wait for it to be printed, and then wait again for it to be shipped, yet a lot of misfortunes could happen along the way :(

And as reall asked, are we doing a card back?

Hmm, but the card backs are really just for printed cards, not really for the digital deck. Yet maybe the card creators could just create their own card backings when the time comes to print it, so it'll be personalized to their own liking? Or maybe the card backing can have a neat Aeclectic logo or symbol on it? Or just nice purple and blue tones like the one for the site itself. :D

Marirowana

cardback

For now we'll just focus on the first 78 cards, later on we'll add the cardbacks and a Happy Squirrel card :D

I know I'll make my own cardback anyway and I'll make it availabke for everyone. That might be a nice idea, to have a few cardbacks from different people, so you can choose :)

gregory

I can never line them up if they are individual backs... :( I'd run (personally; clever people can do the real McCoy and I can be jealous !) with a sort of "whole page" one, myself :) Then you can run off a solid sheet and print the card faces on the backs ! Like we did for the Myce - though the reason for that was that we made the actual deck on those blank cards with the tarotee backs, and so the "own prints" needed to match. But it was so EASY !

trzes

1) Digital only, or;
2) Digital plus print quality images provided only to card creators so they can print their own personal physical copy.

Phew. A decision. :D

Just to clarify option 2: What I think most people will do is to send the images straight to Printer's Studio to get their personal copy. Having made 20-something copies at once is significantly cheaper though. And if I remember their conditions correctly they ship to a list of people directly. So would it be covered by option 2 if one member ordered at Printer's studio, shipped the decks to those members who contributed to the deck and want a copy (or let Printer's studio do it) and was paid for the expenses?