Mythos Tarot

weaver

I so love your work and overall vision. Thank you so much for sharing both here!

weaver

Guiding Cauldron

LOVE the devil card! Its my birth card so i took a peek :) You really hit th enail on th ehead with this card though, fabulous work!

mythos

temperlyne said:
ps I remember seeing a unique lovers painting by your hand too Mythos. Was that not intended to be part of your deck? I rather liked the opennes and gentle happines that the painting radiated.

That 'Lover's' is actually hanging in front of me as we speak. It is a painting I did about 7 years ago. It was never really intended to be tarot. In fact, I had forgotten about it in that transformation :) It may end up that way ... but I need to get to the Lover's to know whether it still feels right in the context of the deck. I do have a leaning towards a more TdM three figure card, but when the card calls out for painting, who knows what will swim into my consciousness as yell ... Me! Me! Me!

I am obviously in love with symbolism, No kidding :bugeyed: I just wish that I kept better notes, because the cards definitely require written explanation of the symbolism.

I do want to start on the Fool, but I signed up for the 4th AT's Community Deck so the Queen of Cups must come first. I am playing (seriously) with the idea of this current deck being a majors only - if only because at my current pace I won't live long enough to complete 78 :bugeyed:), so the Q of C gives me a taste of the courts. Doing it will help me decide on majors only, or both.

And thanks all for your kind comments everyone:)

mythos:)

starrystarrynight

Outstanding!!! What is your ground and medium--and how big are these paintings?

They are truly wonderful.

Fulgour

wild_in_the_mist

Dear mythos ~ You are as always an inspiration
and I am enjoying the sense of anticipation for
when you reveal The Star...our friendship began
way back once upon a when~ with a discussion
of "that squawky bird" (y'had to'a been there...)

Best Wishes!
Fulgour

temperlyne

mythos said:
I do want to start on the Fool, but I signed up for the 4th AT's Community Deck so the Queen of Cups must come first. I am playing (seriously) with the idea of this current deck being a majors only - if only because at my current pace I won't live long enough to complete 78 :bugeyed:), so the Q of C gives me a taste of the courts. Doing it will help me decide on majors only, or both.

Same with me! Amost the same at least. I am going to work on the empress for the AT deck in a different style and medium to see if I can't speed things up a bit. Doing 78 paintings consumes so much time and energy that it will effect more of my life than I can afford. If I like the result of this experiment, that might be the first card of my second deck :S.... I wonder if we ever consider this journey done, I probably won't... Anyway I love to see your queen of cups, as a HSP I feel very connected to her and can't wait to see how you see her.

mythos

Fulgour said:
Dear mythos ~ You are as always an inspiration
and I am enjoying the sense of anticipation for
when you reveal The Star...our friendship began
way back once upon a when~ with a discussion
of "that squawky bird" (y'had to'a been there...)

Best Wishes!
Fulgour

It did indeed ... and I still have the pics of the benu bird that you sent me. As always, I learn heaps from you ... though your studies are so in advance of mine that I am often overwhelmed by the sheer depth of your knowledge. But that is always a good thing ... it spurs me on to learn more, more and heaps more.

starrystarrynight said:
Outstanding!!! What is your ground and medium--and how big are these paintings?

They are truly wonderful.

Thank you:) The canvas's are generally 1 metre (3ft 4ins) by 3/4 of a metre (2ft 6ins). So, rather large. Some are slightly smaller - though not by much. Similar dimensions anyway. It depends on my supplier as to what I can get my hands on. I have to remember (and don't always succeed) that what I am painting is going to be shrunk dramatically, and that what is perfectly clear in canvas size, may be lost in the process.

Lightweight canvas with mostly acrylics. Some are metallic, some gouache, and - every painting has at least one glued object whether it be feathers, bones, shells, pieces of jewellery, my old dreadlocks (Magician), dice, coins, nails and hooks etc. Sometimes I use a little pastel as well. The Holy Man is coated in clear gloss enamel - in part because I like the finish - and it is a signature of mine; in part to doubly 'glue' items onto the base, and finally, to deal with tarnishing which can happen even with gold paint - not just gold leaf (which I have yet to learn how to use!)

The Holy Man is huge - over six feet - made as one of the banners for the Tarot Conference. The gloss was particularly necessary because I had to cart the poor thing around.

I would prefer to use oils, because I love the ways in which you can work with them, but I have developed allergies to mineral turps and some of the contents of the paints, so acrylics it is. This often means that to get the depth of color that I like, I need to use several layers of paint. This, adds to the texture as well, which I rather enjoy working with.

mythos:)

starrystarrynight

mythos said:
I would prefer to use oils, because I love the ways in which you can work with them, but I have developed allergies to mineral turps and some of the contents of the paints, so acrylics it is. This often means that to get the depth of color that I like, I need to use several layers of paint. This, adds to the texture as well, which I rather enjoy working with.
I, as well, have found that oils give me a headache and have fallen in "love" (well, stong "like") with acrylics.

I just have to say again that I commend your work. It's so fresh and real. I hope you publish it one day...that deck will surely be on my wish list!

mythos

In progress - the High Priestess/Papesse

Just thought that I would post an 'in-progress' photo of my High Priestess/Papesse. I really cannot decide on her title. No doubt the finished painting (whenever that will be :bugeyed:) will tell me her name.

I thought I was close to completion but she has been 'speaking' to me, and wants some extra things that will require preliminary sketches and try-outs before they end up on the canvas. Personally, I just love her. I just hope that I can keep the 'feeling' she gives me as I work towards completion. I would not like to lose that feeling that exists in the painting, for me, now!

Attachments

• HP2.jpg
    HP2.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 200

Sidhe-Ra

She's beautiful! Thanks for giving us a sneaky peek. She has a wonderful priestess energy to her- all hidden wisdom and depths of intuition. I love the use of blue and gold- this is reminscent of ancient Egypt, to me, and also the blue and silver together- magickal, alchemical and moonlike.

I'm looking forward very much to the finished piece!

Blessings,

Em x