Demons can come?

Teacups

I am wondering if the friend was concerned about the condition of your salvation BEFORE she 'caught you' doing something dangerous for your soul... I think she was genuinely afraid for you, but she is a superstitious person. How can fear of tarot cards be any different than any other superstition? bless yourself with holy water.... better cleanse yourself after..... [whatever superstition]

Umbrae

Yeah I would have had a great time with her too.

interesting thread.

Demon Goddess said:
Guys and Gals... maybe I'm way off base here...

But does anyone other than me wonder about the sanity of someone who believes in "demons"?

Boogeymen, tooth fairies... Santa Claus?

Hello?

Hello? Uh...we read Tarot cards. Now perhaps demons aren't really demons in the demonic way of thinking of demons, but really - do you really think there is or are no other forces in the universe? Just man? Only the tactile physical world is real?

Hello? You read tarot cards – hello?

Myself – I know there are other ‘things’ out there. And they ain’t all good. You’ve not experienced them, and that’s fine.

Tarot is a tool. Tarot CAN be used to HELP open doors that if you don’t know how to close them can lead to trouble. I’ve seen perfectly normal folks start using Tarot cards and lose their minds – go completely insane. Was it the cards? Was it a poor choice of personal studies? Can we pass judgment on them and dismissively state, “Ah, they were unstable in the first place.”

I do not believe that Tarot by itself will attract demons.

I do believe that Tarot can be used to do exactly that.

The difference is intent.

The other subtext in this thread is tolerance.

Clearly the fundamental Christians are not. However we should be. After all. We read Tarot. Think about it!!!

frelkins

Scrappygirl86 said:
Tarot cards and any other devices for fortune telling can open up a portal in your home.

Kewl! I liked that movie Ghostbusters - It was fun! Demons, come on in & dance! :)

stefficus

something to keep in mind besides the fact that her fear and ignorance probably made her more rude and aggressive than she might normally be... she may also have been genuinely afraid for you. in our "tolerance" it's not always helpful (though, i admit, often a good time) to swing the pendulum the other way and be so sure that all motives can be attributed to those evil, nasty, power-hungry christians trying to take over the world. she's just one girl, after all!

that said, she had no right to say that to you, and her assuming a hammer blow of narrow-minded fearmongering would sway you was misguided, at best. but it might not hurt to try to take it as a desire to help you or keep you from danger. that doesn't mean you have to listen to her, of course (and i don't think you should, and for what it's worth i know plenty of christians who read cards (some of them on this forum, as long as we're being even-handed and fair), and they certainly don't seem taken by demons to me. portals to hell don't just open up willy-nilly.

(the large hadron collider may change all that, but not this week, and that's nothing to do with tarot anyway. ;))

ignore what she said, and by all means feel free to write off her and her negative energies, but do it thoughfully... think about where she may have been coming from, why she cares whether you invite demons into your apartment or not.

and beware the cottage cheese. eep!

ahem. just my two cents, for which i shall likely be thrashed. *grin*

Scrappygirl86

I thought it did sound silly, but I had to ask. And about the chain... it's Tim Hortons for those who were wondering. But I do feel silly after readings the comments too. :D

I wasn't going to stop tarot, I was just wondering if there was something I needed to do before readings to prevent it. I love it too much now to stop. I have a friend who doesn't believe in the tarot at all, or god or anything. I did a reading for her once that was right on about her and her boyfriend but she still doesn't believe it. She told me to stop doing childish things and always lets out a loud sigh whenever she sees them when she comes over. I just laugh and ask her if she wants a reading, then she rolls her eyes and changes the subject.

Teacups

Umbrae said:
Tarot is a tool. Tarot CAN be used to HELP open doors that if you don’t know how to close them can lead to trouble. I’ve seen perfectly normal folks start using Tarot cards and lose their minds – go completely insane. Was it the cards? Was it a poor choice of personal studies? Can we pass judgment on them and dismissively state, “Ah, they were unstable in the first place.”

I do not believe that Tarot by itself will attract demons.

I do believe that Tarot can be used to do exactly that.

The difference is intent.

1. You know insane people??? ***this is a joke, as in, aren't we all??? please don't get all PC on me

2. You DO, in fact, believe that Tarot can attract demons? would that be any more or less relative to anything else? such as cigarettes, or lottery or cupcakes or whatever...? no, I'm asking seriously...

3. You believe that the attracting of demons or not, is differentiated by intent? So a person can intentionally attract some demons with tarot, but they cannot accidentally attract demons with tarot?

So, you would be saying that a person who's intent is clearly to "dabble in the occult" would therefore invite demons, but a person who is just fooling around with pretty cards does not accidentally and unknowingly attract demons?

and so.... if the friend at work were to use tarot, believing that they attract demons, then for her they WOULD attract demons... because for her to use tarot, she enters into the activity fully expecting the results of her using tarot would be the acquisition of demons.... yes? hmmmm, interesting

But surely there can be demons that are attracted unknowingly by any average person.... because surely not all demons are attracted on purpose.... are they? sort of like having a cat....? you don't attract cats accidentally, but you house and feed them intentionally..... But I cannot think that everyone who has demons has attracted them intentionally... or have they? (now there's a circular arguement!)

frelkins

asphodel said:
3. You believe that the attracting of demons or not, is differentiated by intent?

wow asphodel, take a breath here! :) umbrae isn't crazy. i think he is referring to the practice of ceremonial magic, which some people here do believe in. so while i accept that you do not -- and i don't either -- i don't think umbrae does, but i don't know -- please surely you are aware that some people here do and it's not necessary to act as if they are crazy? :)

Satori

One woman's demons are another woman's angels...or something like that.

What bothers me about her remarks is her tone...the Einstein comment was really unnecessary. And no you didn't sit down and invite in demons. You sat down with the intention to help and to heal....

My brother is a born-again Christian, hallelujah, and he also thinks I'm gonna burn. The thing that saves me is that when I was in my twenties at his bible college I invited Jesus into my heart with a group of women who were praying in a parking lot. Now. Let us look at this for a minute. You can pray in a parking lot to Jesus and have it be as normal as apple pie, but the minute you pull out a Tarot deck your soul is in danger because you are now in the devil's pocket.

I actually agree with Umbrae here. There are things we don't know or understand about the world and Universe around us. Hell we don't know squat about the real and true origins or uses or meanings of the Tarot. We have certain information about the cards, which seems to cause all kind of arguements still, but we do know something about them. So, why does it seem so unusual that they would call a demon, or call an angel?

If you are looking for the dark you will find it. If you are looking for the light you will also find it.

I think the nasty person in question is calling in more darkness and hatefulness with her attitude, words and demeanor than she would care to admit. And hey, who wants that kind of negativity in a home? I wouldn't want it in my home. Who said she was even invited to Scrappy's house???

jeesh.

RufusJ

Yep, there are Christians who believe that Tarot (and any other divination practice, including Bibliomancy) can open a portal to hell, and it can happen without the reader intending it to happen. It's not the cards per se (for most of them); it's trying to practice divination that brings the critters. Ouija or runes or pendulums would cause the same reaction. And I'm with Umbrae here-- there is some heavy noncorporal s*** out there that doesn't have our best interest at heart. I've seen it. 'Nuff said.

By and large though, Tarot is 78 pieces of cardboard and paper. Art, most of it pretty. Maybe a used deck might have a familiar spirit attached to it but I doubt it, and familiar spirits are a different ball of wax anyway. New cards are ..well, new. Nothing attached to them. As far as the use of Tarot bringing in demons... well, each person has to make up his mind in light of his conscience as to what s/he wants to do.

Interesting that Tarot brings out this kind of reaction; when was the last time someone was told not keeping the Sabbath holy would create a portal for demons?

rufusj

Baroli

satori said:
I think the nasty person in question is calling in more darkness and hatefulness with her attitude, words and demeanor than she would care to admit.

Quite. It's the fear that these people have, the fear of demons and angels. If they were to open thier Bibles, they would see both all over the place. But then why open a book and read when it is easier to believe what the priest or the pastor, minister, whatever will tell you. Can't live your life in a box. Ya gotta get out there and yes there are demons as well as angels out there. Does Tarot open the door? I don't know, I've never tried.

1. You know insane people???
Yes, actually I do. My brother for one. He thinks everything has a voice and talks to him,......maybe it does. The doctors don't think so however, thus the meds. Ah well,......