My Utility Marseille Deck (work in progress)...

rogue

That's a cool concept you've got, Warrior. You've managed to marry two traditions without bastardizing them. Congratulations!

Debra

I love these.

I suggest you use Roman numerals for the major arcana--that's traditional, and it looks nicer. Also, in my view the ink colors could be a bit more muted--I think I'd like a deeper tone in the yellow and red (well, and blue, too).

The expressiveness of the figures and faces is terrific; beautifully balanced, very evocative. They have personalities!

If you can find a "bottom" for your coins--perhaps given them an edge--then you won't have a problem with reversals, as the other 3 suits have an up/down in their symbols.

As for the suit images---I'm reading now "A Wicked Deck of Cards" which has a detailed history of all that. The short answer is, different parts of Europe developed different suit symbols on their playing cards, and they are still in use. I'm fond of the acorns, myself. ;0 Do so browsing in the History section--Marseilles division-- and see what pops up. The guys over there are incredibly knowledgeable and have probably written on this already, with illustrative links etc--or just post an inquiry.

Wow. Good going. Will you call it the Swiss Army Tarot?

Code Warrior

Thanks for all the advise. I appreciate it. I've changed the colors to match the color palette used on standard playing cards. Yellows are golder, blues are darker, and reds are rusty. I think it looks alot better that way as well. I've also gone to roman numerals on the trump cards (albeit rotated 90 degrees to fit properly).

Dan

Code Warrior

Debra said:
I love these.
If you can find a "bottom" for your coins--perhaps given them an edge--then you won't have a problem with reversals, as the other 3 suits have an up/down in their symbols.

I think I will just place a mark on the lower left-hand corner of the coin cards. Some people use reversals, some don't and I'd like to accommidate everyone. I may yet develop a coin that has a up and a down.

Thanks,
Dan

Debra

Oh YAH! Much nicer colors and I like the sideways numerals! This is lovely! Don't forget the color of the back, too! I like the design for the back but it does seem to favor the swords just a bit....fine w/ me, I'm definitely swordish all the way, but other types might feel slighted ;)

Code Warrior

Debra said:
Oh YAH! Much nicer colors and I like the sideways numerals! This is lovely! Don't forget the color of the back, too! I like the design for the back but it does seem to favor the swords just a bit....fine w/ me, I'm definitely swordish all the way, but other types might feel slighted ;)

The back graphic has been updated as well. Thanks. I've gotten a few more cards done. I'm much happier with my latest cards. I may need to go back and re-visit some of the earlier ones I've done.

Cheers,
Dan

Little Baron

Love the colouring Dan! Much easier on the eye.

Very nice.

LB

Rosanne

I like everything about this deck- and can see the possibilities. I have two wee negatives- I think the Jokers need to be more like the courts/honours in squareness of body- they look to lean, so look like from another deck. I would love to see some florals on the pips- just a few to keep with the theme of TdM. I like the darker gold version. Very clever! ~Rosanne

Debra

Nice. I like the idea of these as playing card sized, and I like that death is as traditionally unnamed.

Code Warrior

Another big change today. I've altered the sword 'icon' a little, thickening up the guard to make it more legible. Also I've changed all the A-10JCKQ to the same typeface used on standard playing cards. Also completed a few more cards (for this stage in the project).

I'm happy with the typeface on the majors and jokers so I won't be messing with that. I've tried and it doesn't look very good. ;) The color selection is excellent and now I just need to finish up the remaining cards and then I can start on stage two: clean up.

I've been searching this site and the web in general for a printer when/if I decide to publish these. Has anyone had any luck with http://www.customizedplayingcards.com ? I didn't see anything here about them and was wondering.

Thanks,
Dan