phetish?

blackroseivy

...are you around? Just wondering about the printing press...

The 78th Fool

His last activity was the 7th February this year. I checked the web site today and it's no longer online. I don't know what anyone else's conclusions are but I can't say I'm surprised.

Chris. xx

Wings

Yeah where did he go?

He was on the move alot hope he didn't get hit by a bus...his was one of a group of false hopes I recieved last winter...too bad, I was excited:smoker:

"If it sounds too good to be true..."

firemaiden

I hope no one sent that guy money... Anyone notice what his signature says?

MeeWah

firemaiden said:
I hope no one sent that guy money... Anyone notice what his signature says?

From the Latin. Translates as "My fault, my own fault, my most (grievous) fault".

firemaiden

....or even .. "I'm guilty I'm guilty I'm terribly guilty..."

Sidhe-Ra

My professional opinion is that he has been eaten by the wobbly gobbly beast.

Em xx

The 78th Fool

Sidhe-Ra said:
My professional opinion is that he has been eaten by the wobbly gobbly beast.

Em xx

I love this !!

Well, another one bites the dust as they say. My experience of the guy was that he was unbelievably gushing and friendly........until I said I wasn't going to publish with him. After that fateful email I never even got a 'nice knowing you and good luck elsewhere'!

In the words of one British comedienne:
'Do I look bovvered?'

Chris. xx

baba-prague

The 78th Fool said:
IIn the words of one British comedienne:
'Do I look bovvered?'

Chris. xx

Love it Chris!

Did anyone actually send him money? I must say I assumed - after the reassurances he gave to my initial sceptical queries (here in some ancient post somewhere) that he was someone who just didn't understand the business of printing - the figures he gave never remotely added up - rather than anything more sinister.

However, while we are on the subject can I please urge people again to read through this excellent site - "Writer Beware":
http://www.sfwa.org/beware/
There is a lot of material there, but do at least read this summary page (and be aware that the publishers listed are only the worst tip of the iceberg):
http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2007/02/happy-valentines-day-from-writer-beware.html
The "Vanity Publishers in Sheeps Clothing" section on this page is also a must-read:
http://www.sfwa.org/beware/vanitypublishers.html

Publishing is notoriously full of scams right now - disguised vanity publishing (where you basically pay an inflated fee for nothing more than print and production - which you could arrrange for yourself for far less) is very common.

Remember the basic rule - if money goes from the author/creator to the publisher in ANY form and in ANY amount (eg you have to agree to buy books before or after printing, you have to pay their editors or agents, you have to pay for "storage" or "returns" etc etc - there are many possible forms of disguised payments hidden in scam contracts) then RUN. Real publishers never ask the author/creator to pay for anything. Period.

Leo62

baba-prague said:
Remember the basic rule - if money goes from the author/creator to the publisher in ANY form and in ANY amount ... then RUN. Real publishers never ask the author/creator to pay for anything. Period.
Excellent advice. They should be paying YOU not the other way around. Most publishers pay an advance on royalties upfront, usually half on signature of contract, half on publication.

I do hope no-one got taken by this guy.