Umbrae asks: "Why do you read Tarot?"

Joywalker

AH! I see... :D

He sounded so serious that I thought it was some kind of test!! ;)

Looking forward to the thread on responsibility.I think this is very important,especially for those who read for others.

HOLMES

ah

*passes diana a study hall pass, it is ok study some more :O)*

aye i agree diana it is possible to be both non religious, worldy and very spiritual consider the 7 of pentacles card where the man is taking stock of the crop in the rider waite system.

my old grandpa used to have a strawberry garden, (did transplanting and such , it still confuses me what he did)
but he had the biggest nice strawberries in his garden.
(i remember mostly the strawberries) and had some raspberries.

to me he was spiritual, and worldy, (he was a bootlegger in his old age, )((just a few cases of beer here and there))
and knew who to trust and not to trust, and i guess he can was in the gray area of the tree of life.

i think when it comes to study the tarot ,, there is a line we all make for ourselves at some point.

1. how much do i want to invest into the study (secular vs worldy if no means are hand)
2.do i want to do magic or not ( it changes a person not necessary for the words like in the black magic sense, eheh
but i mean it takes away a person kind of innocent to the craft you might say and begin applying it here and there in one own life if they go that route)
3. do we help out on cases where people need help ?(that too is a line that is kind of drawn once we cross over,, it never turns into just this one time. )
4. do i just try to learn a little bit about kabbalah , and numerology and astrology to get by ?(a little bit is never enough , right tarotacholics ?)
5. how much can we tell, how much can we share ,, ,
(once we start telling people we read the tarot ,, it spreads,
example i had a person come up to me on the street and say hey you the one who read the tarot cards right, and i said yes) ((didn't even know him))

so one must be both seculare, spiritualit , and also i feel idealistic,, to give us soemthing to strive for

Major Tom

Talisman - I'm so glad you're back. You do bring up the most interesting topics. I'm still waiting for a story from the great white north (or was it the end of the road)? Please?

Why do I read tarot?

It's simple really. I read tarot to provide myself with the information I need to produce the outcomes I want.

Some would call this a secular approach.

I want to do myself good. Often, I find that the best good I can do myself is to do good for others. Tarot helped me discover this.

My friend Umbrae only seeks to hasten others' discovery.

My personal opinion is that some things cannot be rushed. :)

I'm always wary of 'shoulds'. You can do what you want to do.

But if you learn the tarot, you'll find yourself helping other people. })

Lee

I'm afraid if Umbrae had graded my response, it would have been given a Z! })

-- Lee :)

Alex

only for the ones

who accept such dichotomy AND fail to see where both meet.

People have been known to achieve a more than ordinary spirituality through the study of a "somewhat" kind of secular knowledge as "quantum physics"; and had they been asked the reason why they started out in first place, would their answer be accurate?

Alex.

Umbrae said:

You either read for Spiritual or Secular reasons. That is it! That’s all there is…now figure out in the scheme of things which one is you.

sparrowspirit

Yeah! I got a B+!

But I want an A!!! What do I have to do to improve my grade?! (Sparrow in over-achievement mode) :)

On the question of secular vs. spiritual:

We have no choice but to act in the secular world...that's where we are. To some degree, I think the difference has to do with intention. Although there seem to be those individuals who give of themselves and live a very spiritually "pure" life without even being aware of it.

I also believe that any and all secular pursuits can lead to spiritual growth and realization. Again, for the most part it has to do with intent and the dedication to do the best possible job of whatever it is. It might not seem spiritually fulfilling to do menial tasks, or "dirty work", but the world wouldn't turn without all of the work getting done. It has to be done by someone. And if a person feels connected to the "whole" by doing his/her little piece, then that counts as spiritual intent.

Sparrow

zorya

spritual or secular? i find that i can no longer keep the spiritual out of the 'secular' areas of my life.

why do i read tarot? to evolve/grow/heal. i would never be able to evolve/grow/heal very far, without helping others.

Alex

Re: Yeah! I got a B+!

sparrowspirit said:
But I want an A!!! What do I have to do to improve my grade?! (Sparrow in over-achievement mode) :)

I gather from the above that you haven't been in the formal educational system for time enough yet.

After 32 years of that (I started school when I was 2 and never stopped) I decided that I'd had it and now I only deliver grades. Being graded by somebody else, never more.

;-)

Alex.

sparrowspirit

Re: Re: Yeah! I got a B+!

Alex said:
I gather from the above that you haven't been in the formal educational system for time enough yet.

Alex.

LOL...actually I have 20 years of "formal" education under my belt, but being a student of life, I guess I'll never be done with my "informal" education. And I am a beginner at tarot, so feedback from other, more advanced students is always helpful, (I'm not necessarily looking for grades on all of my posts, so don't get any ideas :D ).

Sparrow