Truth Seekers Tarot: David Fontana deck

Parzival

truthseeker's Tarot

I find this deck and book very good in the deliberate emphasis on archetypes, colors, and numbers. The pips are detailed in their match of illustrative motifs and number symbolism. The book is extremely concise but does provide helpful pointers to image-meanings and accessible, psychological basic spreads. Looking again at this deck after a few weeks of delving into other collected decks, I find it artistically/symbolically impressive (despite some strong criticisms). Take another New Year's look and see what you see...

2_Journey

I just discovered this deck, and I'm not sure what to think about it. I am starting to really like decks with pip cards, and these look great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the repeated cards with different numbers of suit symbols. Has anyone been able to sort out a system for the repeated cards? Also, if anyone has had this deck for a while and would like to comment on whether the repeated cards have started to bother you and/or how the deck reads, I would love to hear it!

rwcarter

2_J,

By repeated cards do you mean the backgrounds? When thumbing through a friend's deck, it didn't even strike me that the backgrounds were repeated. But once I looked at a just opened deck, it was quite obvious. I bought the spare from that friend. I haven't really had a chance to use the deck (been too busy with another deck, and I bet you can't guess which one.... :laugh:), so can't speak to any rhyme or reason with the repeated cards or if they bother me in readings.

Rodney

2_Journey

Hi Rodney,

Yup - I meant the repeated backgrounds. My bad! That'll teach me to post in a rush before heading out for a night on the town!

It looks like (in the future, once I'm done working with a different deck ;)) the Truth Seekers might be a good work-a-day deck for someone who likes nonscenic minors. But those repeated backgrounds are giving me pause. I'm not sure they would add or subtract from readings. It seems like it would either force me to focus more on numerology or bore me to tears. My hopes are on the numerology!

AJ

I have this deck on my trade list in my profile if anyone is holding off on full price purchase.

It is a beautifully presented deck, with lots of gold accents for those that like their bling :)

Parzival

truth Seeker's Tarot

I've been looking into the minor arcana of this deck. It has considerable variation within the repeated backgrounds. The pentacles have a tower with a sun rising behind it for Ace and Five. For Two, Three, Eight, and Ten, we are in a temple, with three stained glass foliaged windows, and with Four, Six, Seven, and Nine, we are in a forest, with caves and birds. I wonder about how symbolic these arrangements are, or merely cost-cutting ornamental. Two details may be of interest: downturned pentacles, for Two of Pentacles only, and two little red triangles (up and down) centered in Six of Pentacles only. Are numbers coordinated with these touches, or is it irrelevant nuance? (I need to check the accompanying book, too.)

Aerin

I'm bumping this as it's a more relevant thread on the deck than the other one I found and posted on - didn't come up in a search for some reason.

I am having to work quite hard to make my connections and links with the meanings of the pips, but I believe I can do it with some thought.

The 'little touches' do have meaning e.g. the up and down red triangles on 6 of pents indicate fortunes can go up or down. (From the book.) I can make sense of the changing backgrounds too, with some thought.

The book and the cards need studying toghether if you want to try and sort out what the author and illustrator meant, I think.

Well worth the £8 I paid inc. postage anyway.

Aerin

Ronia

I didn't use it much

Hello, I am new as a member but long-time reader of the forum. The Truth Seeker was the first ever Tarot deck I bought and when I was looking online I loved it. However, being a beginner with tarot (although I know quite a bit about numerology and have studied semiotics a lot) I struggled with it. I don't find my feelings towards certain cards have anything to do with the ideas of the author. For example, my most recent failure was the Princess of Pentacles. While she seemed to me a calm, artistic maybe, accomplished to a certain extent, in good connection with nature around her, the author was telling me she was supposed to speak about jealousy... Well, I failed to understand this. Also, the Swords suit, with all these walls (of a medieval city probably) and closed doors, does not speak to me anything related to the meanings shared by the author. The Major Arcana works better for me. At the end, I bought the Casselli Universal Tarot which is much easier for a beginner.

irmata

I'm also a beginner and this is my first deck, purchased 3 weeks ago. I wasn't able to open the box to look at the cards, but was assured that it was an RWC. I was very disappointed when I opened it and found the "non-illustrated" pips.

BUT. I decided to give the deck a chance and have been truly pleased and amazed at how it speaks to me. The pips are really very good and the repeating backgrounds aren't a problem at all. I actually find them quite fluid - the same card can be positive in one reading and completely ominous in another, despite the happy scenery.

The artwork is lovely and not overly sweet and I've not yet experienced problems with the gilt wearing off. The book could do with a bit more expounding on the cards, but I'm going with my gut mostly and using the book for extra insight. Just started reading Paul Foster Case's guide and the numerology in there is helping a great deal with reading more into the TST cards.

I've actually started a blog to journal my readings and will share it on the forums as soon as I get permission to use the artwork. Publisher has given it a go, but waiting to hear from the artist.

GryffinSong

I just received this deck today in trade with an AT member and I LOVE it so far!!! Such glorious color and charming artwork!!! I'm a little puzzled why the artist felt the princesses didn't need any clothing, but that's a puzzle, not a complaint.

I'll start reading with it tonight, and hope that the pips speak to me enough. They sure are gorgeous to look at!!! :)