Creepy Decks

olivia1

nisaba said:
Go the Bosch. You'll never regret it. And you can even use it to read for your grandmother - because it's based on the style of a named artist she'll just think you're being very intellectual and highbrow.

Thanks, Nisaba. You know, I wish I would have read your original post earlier because the Deviant Moon was the deck I was referring to...but now I'm curious about the Bosch...it sounds like just the deck that I am looking for.

nisaba

olivia1 said:
Thanks, Nisaba. You know, I wish I would have read your original post earlier because the Deviant Moon was the deck I was referring to...but now I'm curious about the Bosch...it sounds like just the deck that I am looking for.
It walks all over the Deviant Moon, both as a working deck and as sophisticated creepiness.

Tansey Ella

I have the Bosch deck too. I adore it. I have never found it scary or anything, in fact, it is lol funny. I just ordered the Dante, and it looks like it may be similar.
The Deviant moon is one of my favorite decks too.. I was never creeped out by it at all . When I first got it I was a bit taken back- not scared. It is not even close in being a scary deck, IMHO
Geiger is the scariest deck for me. I find the imagery really creepy.

iceclone

nisaba said:
It walks all over the Deviant Moon, both as a working deck and as sophisticated creepiness.

I looked at the scans and yes, I find bosch a bit creepy. The six of wands is a strawberry with four legs and four arms... ew. lol.

Lee

pasara said:
As I said, I am curious what specific responses people had and how the deck gave more or less insight into particular questions, the latter of these two was answered.
Hi pasara,

I think perhaps one reason why people are finding it difficult to answer your question is that your question seems to assume that it is the deck's images which give insight into particular questions. It seems to me that it's the reader who is giving the insight and not the deck. When someone gives a tarot reading, the sitter usually pays much more attention to the reader's words than to the deck's images. Several years ago a very experienced and wise reader, Mee Wah, told me this, and my own subsequent experience proved her correct.

pasara

Lee said:
Hi pasara,

I think perhaps one reason why people are finding it difficult to answer your question is that your question seems to assume that it is the deck's images which give insight into particular questions. It seems to me that it's the reader who is giving the insight and not the deck. When someone gives a tarot reading, the sitter usually pays much more attention to the reader's words than to the deck's images. Several years ago a very experienced and wise reader, Mee Wah, told me this, and my own subsequent experience proved her correct.

I agree -- to a point. In my reading experience people DO indeed pay attention and respond to the images. Obvious examples are the 10 of Swords (they don't like the looks of that one) and 10 of Cups (Oh! this looks good!) Certain cards sitters are attracted to, and ask to hold or look at more closely. I can explain the meaning of the card in the context of the reading and affect/correct their first perception, but there is no denying they take a look at the images and have a response/feeling about them.

It is interesting to me that so many here are assuming I have a negative opinion of "dark" or "creepy" decks by asking this question. It seems like quite a defensive response. I actually have never said anything of the sort.

Perhaps it is simply because I described them as "creepy." Though most people here seemed to know exactly the type of decks I am talking about. If there was a less "loaded" adjective I could have used, I don't know what it is.

My gut just tells me that they may be better or worse suited for particular types of reading, and wondered what about them people were drawn to and why, and what readers' specific experiences, and sitters' specific responses were. That's all.

I could have asked a similar question about all the cartoony decks, or all the kitty or animal decks, or all the round decks, or whatever. But I didn't, I happened to ask about this.

As I said, I am appreciative of people's contributions to the discussion and am satisfied with the responses here.

Morgane_49

pasara said:
My gut just tells me that they may be better or worse suited for particular types of reading, and wondered what about them people were drawn to and why, and what readers' specific experiences, and sitters' specific responses were. That's all.

My gut tells me the same thing, that's why I always choose the deck.

The only deck that I use for readings that would fall into this category is the Deviant Moon - and I know there are plenty who find it 'creepy'. While I never thought you referenced 'creepy' as anything more than you did and truly believe I understood your question all along, I've never experienced a negative reaction to a deck I've used for two reasons...Most of my readings are done without the sitter in front of me, and I don't choose a deck that the sitter wouldn't be able to relate to. I trust my intuition 100% on that one!

The reason I am drawn to the Deviant Moon is because I can relate to the art - I find it a bit 'tongue in cheek', and I love its wit and 'in your face' answers. I also know that alot of the artwork was inspired by cemeteries and old insane asylums around the area the artist lived in, and I have a fascination with both. I worked in the mental health field for quite some time - one of my favourite jobs in a long career in health. I 'click' with this deck in a different way than I do my other decks. It recognizes and appreciates the shadows in me, and I reciprocate!

I can't really explain how I choose who I use this deck for, or what type questions warrant the use of this particular deck. That's one of those gut feelings that is hard to put into words. But even when I'm not doing a face to face reading, I take a pic of the spread and send it along with the reading, and I've never had anyone have an adverse reaction to the deck. But then, I chose this deck for them, so I didn't expect them to.

I do find that if I feel strongly that I should use a specific deck in a specific situation, the reading is always a really, really good one!

Everything flows better when I just follow my intuition all the way!

minrice

I don't know if I can think of a creepy deck off hand, I can think of some decks I've seen that are just morbid and gross to me with their dark images. Oh why can't I think of the names...anyhow while the Deviant Moon and the Bohemian Gothic are too dark for me I still think they are unique and lovely and I can appreciate the art!

The creepiest tarot card I've seen lately is the Devil Major in the Victoria Regina. Creepiest clown EVER with this giant ****eating grin on his face. *Shudders* totally creeps me out.

divinemsm

weird faces creep me out too. Like the Gendron and the Tarot of the Elves. Just odd expressions that sort of creep me out a little...

iceclone

Does anybody own the Savage Tarot? I've seen scanned pics and it's really creepy... and I mean murderously creepy. Body parts, blood, and Saw-like images... so not for me.

I don't think I would ever want to read with it.