Why do people sell their deck collections?

Glass Owl

If I am going to buy a deck - or a book - it really has to be something unique, or that I am going to use or otherwise get value of, beyond it just sitting on a shelf in my home.

That is what I have been asking myself and why I have trying to put items in my Amazon wish list and really contemplate them before I purchase. In the past, I think that a lot of my purchases were impulse buys. Of course, they are far worse things I could have spend my money on, but I am much more selective now.

I also find myself going through my books and cards every few months and get rid of a few things. Thanks to a new CD tower I have some extra space but there are a few decks and books on my "cut list" that are probably going to go when I get a few more decks.

nisaba

Anyway why do people sell their decks off?
<shrug> Money? Loss of interest?

Won't they/you regret it one day?
I give away individual decks occasionally, decks that I hardly ever use and that I think someone else will love and use all the time. I *always* regret it. I usually end up buying it again, even if it then sits in my collection, being used as rarely as before.

Still, not everyone is me. If people are okay with selling off their collections I cannot pretend to understand it, but I cannot pretend to judge them, either. It's their decision.

SweetIsTheTruth

Along and along, I have sold off the ones I don't want, like the LS Marseilles mini I have on Ebay right now. Most of what I have sold off are LS decks. Now, I only focus on Marseille, historical or pip decks. I have zero tolerance for massive collections of anything. I don't want to be a slave to possessions or collections. My goal is a low maintenance lifestyle, so if I don't use it or don't like it, out it goes.

Ryver

I have a tendency to give away my R-W deck on the spot if someone I know expresses genuine interested in learning but then I eventually do get another for myself. Sometimes it just feels right to get a deck into the person's hands immediately rather than waiting to buy one for them or sending them out to get one. I've given away a Robin Wood deck once and of course replaced it. Other than that, I don't sell any of my decks.

I like to grab different ones at different times for meditation, studies, readings and enjoyment. There isn't a deck in my collection that I haven't had a time where that's the one I specifically wanted. I have a couple decks that I was given as gifts even though I already have the deck. Sometimes I think maybe I should sell one but then I think maybe I'll wait to see if there is an occasion to give it away to someone as described above.