Lori Walls' Erotica Tarot

moderndayruth

I received it as a gift from someone here (you know who you are, thank you :heart:), use it for RED, to me it gives accurate readings and has a lot in common with Thoth (minors at least). Haven't used it that much - but yes, its rather small in size (which is perfectly fine with me) and i think the best executed erotic deck, for what i can say a lot of thought went into it - especially if compared to Manara, wich is great in its own way and witty too, but compiled from already existing images. (Need i mention that lwb is totally lame?)

nisaba

Le Fanu, don't listen to these doubting Thomasinas. You'll enjoy it, though knowing you, it won't end up being one of your central favourites.

Warning: it has its fair share of boobies. It also has women interacting with women, and men interacting with men, though those are sadly in a minority.

I received a well-used copy (I hesitate to say a well-thumbed-through copy with dog-eared pages) from Wendywu, and for a deck that has seen some use, I wouldn't like to say the cardstock is bad, but not having handled it in original condition I really couldn't judge. I was just surprised to read comments here about the cardstock, is all.

The Star has got to be one of my all-time favourite Stars from any deck: supposedly the naked torso of a woman, it actually is just an explosion of blue and white depictions of chi or energy-lines all over the card: powerful, positive, strong, and not at all erotic.

It doesn't have the diseased skin-tones of the Manara, an although the legs are still unnaturally lengthened, they don 't look quite as deformed as the people in the Manara.

I remember you once saying that you enjoyed the Decameron because it was unashamed to be smutty. I like the Decameron less than this one (although I still like it) for that very reason, the Erotica isn't really smutty as such.

And it goes well with Beethoven's HEroica Symphony! (Okay, so I'm clinically insane).

Don't get anxious about what folks here are saying, le Fanu - you and I both know that my opinions are definitive, and I think you'll enjoy exploring it for a while, then you'll put it away.

Wendywu

nisaba said:
I received a well-used copy (I hesitate to say a well-thumbed-through copy with dog-eared pages) from Wendywu

That gives an odd picture of me with the deck :D Truth is - I bought that deck as a pre-used copy off Ebay and used it myself for a while before passing it to Nisaba. Unfortunately I missed it and ended up buying another copy. I'm OK with the smaller size; I think it's a little larger than playing cards and I love some of the cards, particularly Stregnth where the man (lion) is blissfully oblivious of the woman draping herself all over him. The stock isn't fantastic but its OK.

I had the Manara and used it in the RED Exchange but I really got pissed off with it. But this Erotica - some of the cards make me chuckle, others I just think "whatever floats your boat" but most of all, for me this is a tarot deck that is perfectly capable of being used to read with and gives good readings.

Like I say, I ended up buying it back in and there aren't many I do that with.

nisaba

<blush> I'm sorry to hear you missed it. Well, at least I don't have to feel guilty that I don't like it - I do! Many thanks for it, anyway. And Le Fanu, as I said, it's a good deck. It won't compete with your beloved Thoths or Soprafinos, but you'll love it anyway. I hope.

Wendywu

Silly! - not a problem, ever! I didn't know I liked it until I didn't have it, so you did me a real favour :)

Le Fanu

Well I have the Decameron and the Casanova, the latter is infinitely less erotic than - in fact - most decks I have. In terms of sexual power, the Rohrig and the Thoth run rings round it. The Manara does nothing whatsoever for me. It is one of the few Scarabeo decks which I forget even exist (which is a bit damning, but anyway...) There's another one which I have also forgotten.

This one seems to me to be the most...er.. inventive. In all senses of the word; artwork, sexual combinations etc. It might be interesting to do double deck spreads, with this and other decks. Mix and match. Imagine a spread with this and the Jane Austen Tarot shuffled together. Might reap interesting results...

(I'm still trying to get over the image of Wendy with her grubby well-thumbed deck :bugeyed:)

Scion

I'm a fan of this one. Definitely the best of the "erotic decks" even if its illustrations aren't necessarily "pretty. It does have an odd sci-fi quality, but I mind that less than the pneumatcally pert women in the Casanova or Manara. Walls has a sense of humor and imagination... and the deck "feels" intelligent in many of its choices.

Now that I'm the Liber T's bitch, I don't read with it as often but it has always given me fantastic readings. No problems with cardstock or warping on my copy, but maybe it's an older printing?

Le Fanu

Scion said:
I'm a fan of this one. Definitely the best of the "erotic decks" even if its illustrations aren't necessarily "pretty. It does have an odd sci-fi quality, but I mind that less than the pneumatcally pert women in the Casanova or Manara. Walls has a sense of humor and imagination... and the deck "feels" intelligent in many of its choices.

Now that I'm the Liber T's bitch, I don't read with it as often but it has always given me fantastic readings. No problems with cardstock or warping on my copy, but maybe it's an older printing?
pneumatically pert? :D I shall remember that forever.

Have I got the name wrong? is it Lori Wallis or Lori Walls. I've seen both and thought that Walls was a misprint.

Scion

Walls. There's no "i" in it. :)

zan_chan

It's Walls.

Just took mine out again. Completely unshuffleable from warpage. Only deck of mine to ever warp. I don't get it.

I think I might not like erotic decks overall. I don't really see the point...(especially if everyone agrees that this is the best one...)

[Am I prude without knowing it? I really don't think so...]