Tarot of a Moon Garden - Opinions? :-)

G6

Hello Folks!

Who has or had this deck?

Tarot of a Moon Garden

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-of-a-moon-garden/

Some say it's silly, cheesy and kind of Sgt. Peppers meets Pete's Dragon, BUT I love that they used a merry go round for the wheel of fortune and of course, there are unicorns... :)

Thoughts? Opinions?

MaryHeather

This was the second or third deck I ever purchased. I have a deep attachment to my copy- it's literally been around the world with me :)

For me, I find it a sweet and gentle deck. It still tells you things you may not want to hear, but it doesn't punch you in the gut while doing it.

There is no gore, and almost no nudity (The Star is nude, but in profile and you don't see anything). Swords are stylized dragonflies, wands/staffs are trees, pentacles look like bubbles, and cups are cups. All of the cards are nighttime scenes, except for The Sun and Temperance. A fair number of the sword cards have dragons of different kinds, many of the cards, across all suits, have castles in the background.

My favorite card in this deck is the 4 of Swords. It shows a knight with his helmet off, curled up against the flank of a unicorn, asleep.

velvetina

I don't really use mine but there's a lot I love about it...such as the Egyptian eye of Horus eye make up on the unicorns!

Holly doll

I've used it & find it interesting to work with. It's great for those clients who can be squeamish around tarot "Don't tell me anything negative/the Death card - OMG!".

Don't be fooled by the cartoony style, it's got much going for it.

Aeric

While it's an extremely fluffy deck, I appreciate it for being one of the decks most Tarot parents wouldn't mind giving young kids. For us adults, it's fun escapism, but I have a hard time taking its readings too seriously for that.

I own the guidebook and I wish the author would have expanded on exactly what the Moon Garden is. She designed the cards based on a poem she wrote that's in the book. It's a lovely poem but I don't quite understand how she extrapolated an entire Tarot deck from it. I feel compelled to look on the Moon Garden as an entire world in itself, but I don't know much about it. There's a story in there somewhere looking to unfold, but it can't. Moon Garden feels like something out of a Mother Goose fable, but it's like the Tarot of the Cat People presented without the context.

Considering that she writes so many interesting rituals to perform with the cards, I thought she might benefit from expansion of the theme. I thought that the Moon and High Priestess cards would have significant importance to a deck about a magical Moon Garden, but they don't. Does the garden grow and wither with the waxing and waning of the moon? How do the inhabitants live? What can we know about them as much as they can tell us about the meanings they represent?

tarotlova

I don't really use mine but there's a lot I love about it...such as the Egyptian eye of Horus eye make up on the unicorns!

Hmmm I have had this deck for a few years now and can't say I have noticed that! Although it has been a awhile since I have read with them, I think I will use it for my daily reading tomorrow and take a look at those Unicorns! I do like this deck gentle but to the point.

earthair

Lovely soft dream inducing artwork, but I just wish that the images were 'whole card sized' without the fussy border, which is untrimmable unless you want a mini deck!

G6

Lovely soft dream inducing artwork, but I just wish that the images were 'whole card sized' without the fussy border, which is untrimmable unless you want a mini deck!

Does this mean the cards are smaller than usual? That would be good!

AJ

subscriptions to the closed forums is very reasonable, and you can subscribe for just a few months if you want. Once subscribed you can put up a Wanted thread in the tarot forum.

Amanda

I'm not sure if I still have mine or not. It may be around here somewhere, but it hasn't been in my "frequently read with" pile in a while.

I don't recall it being horrible, but I think it felt a bit rigid when trying to read with it... which I remember thinking was odd for a deck that was kind of fantasy-like.