Joie de Vivre deck

Grizabella

I'm playing with my Joie de Vivre deck and it just makes my heart happy. It's the most charming deck I have, think. I got it a couple of years ago and haven't used it as a working deck but I think I'm going to start using it more. I've so far only just taken it out and shuffled it and let it bring me joy and then put it away again, but I think the time has come to let it charm my sitters since it does that so well. :} Does anyone else use it regularly?

BrightEye

Oh, you have it? That's so nice. I've seen this deck in a shop and I think it's the most delightful thing, but I don't actually own it.

Esk

I 'm planning of buying it very soon, I really love the illustrations. I'm happy you enjoy reading with it, it's comforting my decision :)
But do you think it's a good deck for a beginner? I'm afraid to be "lost" in the images
Anyway, i will buy it no matter what because it's beautiful :D I'll tell you my first impression when I'll have it

Maan

i have it but was very put of by the gloss used in the cardstock. Its felt so wrong. I still love the pictures though...and the LWB is pure joy with its little stories and giving the names of each caracter.

ESK..i think it would be a great deck for a beginner. Just because of the lwb. The main caracters are named and have something to tell you. The deck i learned to read properly with was the phantasmagoric teater tarot and that also had names and stories to go with the cards. It made remembering the meanings so much easier.

Esk

Thanks Maan!
It's Great! I like the little stories about the cards :)
I've looked at the Phantasmagoric theater deck. It's interesting with these strange illustrations, and very original. I think I would like it too. Haaa so many nice decks!

Grizabella

Oh, you have it? That's so nice. I've seen this deck in a shop and I think it's the most delightful thing, but I don't actually own it.

Yes, I have it and I really do love it. Go ahead and get a copy, BrightEye. It's wonderful.

I 'm planning of buying it very soon, I really love the illustrations. I'm happy you enjoy reading with it, it's comforting my decision :)
But do you think it's a good deck for a beginner? I'm afraid to be "lost" in the images
Anyway, i will buy it no matter what because it's beautiful :D I'll tell you my first impression when I'll have it

I wouldn't advise it for a beginner. The reason why is that the Rider Waite deck is the one most Tarot books are illustrated with and it's the deck the clones are based on. The Joie de Vivre deck is cute and charming, but if you learn with it, you're learning only to read that one deck. However, if you learn using the Rider Waite, you're learning the deck that others, including the Joie de Vivre, are based on and therefore you'll be able to read most other decks as well that are based on it once you learn it. I fought using the Rider Waite for literally years, but when I finally went back and learned it, then it opened the door for all the other decks I liked better.

As a beginner, get any decks you want to but put them away for later. Learn with a Rider Waite in whatever version you like it best. That would be my advice. You'll be taking a shortcut to being able to read with just about any deck, so it's not a waste of time. It's a waste of time if you don't learn with Rider Waite first in my opinion.

Esk

thanks for you advice and for sharing your experience Grizabella.
I'm a little reluctant to begin with the regular RW because I really don't like the pictures and I read a lot with them. It's helping me understand things, remembering the meanings and in a genaral way, be in a good mood for practicing :). But you're right, it's good to learn with the basics.
I'm still planning to get the Joie de vivre even it's only for the pleasure of looking at it, but i will add a RW deck to :)

Citrin

That's on my wish list. :) I loooove the Paulina deck so obviously the art appeals a lot to me.

Right now I only have the Fool's Dog app so I often look through the Joie de Vivre deck. There's so much thought into Paulina's decks! Such a talented woman. I've been wondering a little about how user friendly the Joie the Vivre is, despite it's lovely images. So let us know if you find it practical in that way. ;)

lalalibra

I used to have Joie de Vivre, but I actually sold it a while ago to help pay for a different deck that I'd use more. JDV is adorable, but I just stopped using it for some reason(s). I think it's because I really do prefer the Paulina Tarot (they really are quite different). That, plus the glossy cardstock - it was just left sitting in a drawer all the time. But I did use it a lot when I first got it and I always found it really delightful to read with. It's really cute, but still packs a punch - and definitely very charming indeed! If I didn't have the Paulina, I probably would have kept it.

Chronata

This is my regular bedside deck...the one that comforts me, makes me laugh and handles all the tough late night questions.

I love it to bits!